Preview Round 23: Sydney Swans V Richmond Tigers @ ANZ Stadium 30/08/2014 - 4:40 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, looking back, if Richards had of been called Holding the Ball and Lids mark paid in our last game against the Swans we would have a final wrapped up. I am still livid over those two decisions. Cost us the game.
Wrong perspective. What was that movie... Sliding Doors or something?

Had we won, it would have all fallen differently. Players would have had a different attitude etc, perhaps an entitled one we seemed to start the season with.

Seriously, looking back, if Richards had of been called Holding the Ball and Lids mark paid in our last game against the Swans we would have a final wrapped up. I am still livid over those two decisions. Cost us the game.
Wrong perspective. What was that movie... Sliding Doors or something?

Had we won, it would have all fallen differently. Players would have had a different attitude etc, perhaps an entitled one we seemed to start the season with.

Who would make way for him? With Dusty to return in place of Lennon, i'm guessing, there won't be may changes this week.
Yeah I guess u are right. Plus our defence has been Immense during our winning streak stats wise.

that is such a lovely warm story....i had a dude come over, who is also a CFC supporter and I told him to get ******, before he opened his mouth. ;)
Hahah i do this sort of s**t all the time. One of my good mates is one of "them". I once locked my doors and wouldn't let him in the house until he removed that disgusting navy blue hat ... We argued for 15 mins about it, he removed it, I let him in and all was good. Might buy him a 2015 tigez membership for Xmas ...

Apparently (according to the Swans board), the only Tiger who could get a guernsey in their mystical magical flawless team is "maybe Cotchin", otherwise every player they have on their list is better than any player we have. They have us covered in every position, and there are even blokes I haven't heard of that have our pitiful stars covered.

This from the mob that took Dierecx from us. Do they not realise it's only 5% that separates the top team from the bottom one. Ahh who cares anyway, I like the Swans.

We will win.

This is just like 2001 when Essendon played us in the last round. We beat them by 25 odd points. Then due to the ladder positions, we played them the final the next week and they spanked us by 70. Actually, Essendon wanted to lose so they did not play Carlton in the final as they had lost to them both times that year. We leapfrogged Carlton into 4th thanks to some late changes and dubious matchups by Essendon in that final game. If ever there was a 'tanking' game that was it.

The lesson in this is that it is a dead rubber for the Swans, just like it was a dead rubber for Essendon. The swans players will not be 'up' for it. You can't get players up for a game that has no meaning for them. Any players with any question mark will be rested. This is not being disrespectful of Sydney - they are a very good team. But you don't risk players with a niggle in a game with no meaning. You would also be tempted to rest your good players late in the game. They have top spot sewn up and would need us to spank them and Hawthorn to spank Collingwood to move down to second and face Geelong in a final. In any case, either way it's a home final for them.

If you look at it rationally we are in the box seat for this. We will be hungry to win and have excellent form. There is no chance in hell that we will not be breathing fire for this game and take our foot off the gas. We also have good recent form against the Swans and match up well. Hawthorn and Sydney we match up well against for the past few years. Geelong and Freo not so much.

At the end of the day simply have to win to make it. All the other teams in contention have to have more than just their own game go their way. I'll take those odds.

We will win.

This is just like 2001 when Essendon played us in the last round. We beat them by 25 odd points. Then due to the ladder positions, we played them the final the next week and they spanked us by 70. Actually, Essendon wanted to lose so they did not play Carlton in the final as they had lost to them both times that year. We leapfrogged Carlton into 4th thanks to some late changes and dubious matchups by Essendon in that final game. If ever there was a 'tanking' game that was it.

The lesson in this is that it is a dead rubber for the Swans, just like it was a dead rubber for Essendon. The swans players will not be 'up' for it. You can't get players up for a game that has no meaning for them. Any players with any question mark will be rested. This is not being disrespectful of Sydney - they are a very good team. But you don't risk players with a niggle in a game with no meaning. You would also be tempted to rest your good players late in the game. They have top spot sewn up and would need us to spank them and Hawthorn to spank Collingwood to move down to second and face Geelong in a final. In any case, either way it's a home final for them.

If you look at it rationally we are in the box seat for this. We will be hungry to win and have excellent form. There is no chance in hell that we will not be breathing fire for this game and take our foot off the gas. We also have good recent form against the Swans and match up well. Hawthorn and Sydney we match up well against for the past few years. Geelong and Freo not so much.

At the end of the day simply have to win to make it. All the other teams in contention have to have more than just their own game go their way. I'll take those odds.

Don't believe this for a second..... Difference was the fact it was a dead rubber.... we wanted it more when they were as they already looking ahead to the next week..... but tanking it wasn't.

I'm not sure if we would risk Astbury on the absolute abortion of a surface that is ANZ.

And be aware that we have light showers predicted and an NRL game on Friday night. It's like a perfect freaking storm just waiting to happen. Welcome to our world of ANZ.:cry:

Hahah i do this sort of s**t all the time. One of my good mates is one of "them". I once locked my doors and wouldn't let him in the house until he removed that disgusting navy blue hat ... We argued for 15 mins about it, he removed it, I let him in and all was good. Might buy him a 2015 tigez membership for Xmas ...
How about you buy him one using his credit card. If you do make sure it auto-renews each year. It will be the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else seriously afraid Sydney will smash us early and kill the game by quarter time?

Feel like I've seen this movie before as a Tiger supporter. We could find ourselves like the crowd in Brazil when Germany went nuts in the World Cup.

Sorry - I'm probably just scarred by a lifetime of let-downs.

Don't believe this for a second..... Difference was the fact it was a dead rubber.... we wanted it more when they were as they already looking ahead to the next week..... but tanking it wasn't.

Well it wasn't tanking in that tanking means trying to finish last. But they wanted us to finish 4th. Carlton beat them twice that year and would have finished 4th if we lost.

I think they named Alessio at CHF that day and played Lucas in the backline. It was a weird team. Then the very next week they went back to a normal setup and spanked us.

Maybe someone could ask Hardwick. He played in both games.

Players from Richmond who would DEFINITELY play at Sydney.

Alex Rance .... Better than Richards, though Richards is a good player.
Trent Cotchin ... Better than all their midfielders bar JPK.... par with Hannebery/Jack.
Dustin Martin .... Greater than Brandon Jack
Brett Deledio .... Greter than Cunningham
Ivan Maric .... greater than Derickx. Greater than Pyke.
Jack Riewoldt ..... he is better than Tippett ... but heck it, Goodes is old. And I'm sure they can all fit anyway.

#deluded

In fact, I'd be confident 5 of those (not Maric) would walk into EVERY club.

Trent Cotchin ... Better than all their midfielders bar JPK.... par with Hannebery/Jack.
Jack Riewoldt ..... he is better than Tippett ... but **** it, Goodes is old. And I'm sure they can all fit anyway.

#deluded

OUT: Shaun Grigg, Ben Lennon, Nathan Gordan
IN : Tyrone Vickery, David Astbury, Dustin Martin

B: Steve Morris, David Astbury, Alex Rance
HB: Bachar Houli, Troy Chaplin, Jake Batchelor
C: Brandon Ellis, Trent Cotchin, Reece Conca
HF: Brett Deledio, Ben Griffiths, Dustin Martin
F: Tyrone Vickery, Jack Riewoldt, Ricky Petterd
Foll: Ivan Maric, Anthony Miles, Shane Edwards
Int: Nick Vlastuin, Chris Newman, Dylan Grimes
Sub: Nathan Foley

I appreciate Astbury may not be match fit ... I'd leave Gordan in, in that case.

Pretty simple

Out: Grigg, Lennon
In: Vickery, Martin

Unless someone can convince me that Grigg hasn't been one of our worst players in his last 3 games.

I would agree with this. Lennon is not ready and Grigg's outside game won't be a good fit for the inside game Swans will want to play for most of the match. Having said that, Conca would be lucky to keep his spot ahead of Grigg right now. Vickery would add some "Kamikaze" to our forward line and have the Sydney backs a little nervous. we are at least a 2-3 goal better side with Dusty, and I won't be surprised if we see another "dying minutes" cameo - these games are made for game breakers like dusty.

I'm quietly confident. We should have beaten them on the MCG if we kicked straight. One thing I will say is that if we lose, I won't be disappointed. This club has given back so much after calls for the coach's head and talk of an early draft pick.

Without getting ahead of myself, there is nothing more dangerous than a team in good form, playing the top side on their ground on the eve of finals that IF we DO compete in, we would be better placed than last year to cause problems. Sydney won't rest any players. They will want to make a statement against us. This is the biggest game since the 2001 Round 22 game against Essendon.

I think we will beat Sydney. If we do, it would be the biggest win since 2001. This is our "Grand Final".

Jack Riewoldt ..... he is better than Tippett ... but **** it, Goodes is old. And I'm sure they can all fit anyway.

#deluded

Dont give them ideas, they'll buy all of them off us.

Anyone else seriously afraid Sydney will smash us early and kill the game by quarter time?

Feel like I've seen this movie before as a Tiger supporter. We could find ourselves like the crowd in Brazil when Germany went nuts in the World Cup.

Sorry - I'm probably just scarred by a lifetime of let-downs.
I was in Brazil (Salvador to be precise) when this happened and had my wallet pick-pocketed from my front pocket during the comotion :D haha ah cannot wait to go back!

Would Astbury come in to play on Tippet so Chaplin can play loose?

I'm not sure if we would risk Astbury on the absolute abortion of a surface that is ANZ.

That's a very good point. Even though he played well in the VFL but he only played 3 quarters and I reckon he'd be exposed trying to get him in for a full game against the best in the AFL. The back half is working pretty well at the moment but Tippett is gunna be a massive headache*

*unless he gets rested....:)

Are people not rating Gordon against the Swans? I reckon his 2 way running against their midfield is exactly what we need. 'Bloods Kulcha' is all about work rate.

Correct. He plays.
Look, I don't think Vickery gets in. I reckon Dimma wants him in but may be swayed by the weather. He hasn't played for a month.
Martin in for Lennon is my only change.
Want to see more from Conca this week, Grigg runs with one of their mids.....blah blah, I'm in a hotel room in Perth and its not 10pm yet, could go on forever.

Ps very excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back