Review Round 4, 2023: Box Hill Hawks v Collingwood, 16 April 2023, 12.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch BOG across 4 quarters. Might be his level but he deserves a senior callup.

Super impressed with Weddle. He’s good in the contest and does the physical stuff. But it’s his gut running to provide secondary options that is the most impressive, just doesn’t stop. Once he gains confidence to demand the ball reckon he'll easily get 25+.

Ramsden shows all the signs of a fantastic AFL player. One more preseason and he’ll be a best 22 lock.

Blanck was great. Killed a lot of high balls and knew when to peel off.

BMac had some good runs.

The JOS/Bennetts combo is really exciting, both pressure well. JOS was really impressive with his contested work and Bennetts is classy.

Butler got a heap of the ball and pressured well but the wet weather really hurt his kicking.

O'Hara continues to show good signs.

Weddle - Not dominating but for a potential tall back to be running like that in the 2nd half screams upside in an AFL team down the track. Might be a player that suits the wider spaces at AFL, and having team mates with the skill to find him when he runs to good positions. Was let down by team mates not having quick enough hands to keep up with him in the wet to get to him several times.

B. MacDonald - Even in the wet some nice moments, and has confidence when there is an opponent right next to him just to say "I've got you bro" and put on the after burners. Another with great upside going forward, who looks a bit more assured as a defender as well than I thought he would at this stage.

Lynch - I think for a second ruck he would fit the role better than one of Meek or Reeves, seems to have a decent around the ground game, and still has a leap and energy at the hit outs. Let's not forget the serious concussion issues last year though, and wouldn't be surprised if we are happy for him to get some good games without injury or interruption at VFL for a bit given his horror run last year. He must be very close now though.

Ramsden - We dominated, so you'd hope he'd get onto the end of a few, but it was more the signs he showed in the wet that was pleasing. Certainly Kosi is not having games like that at the moment. I'd love to see him get a game with Lewis main target, Lynch the resting ruck, and Ramsden taking the third defender, to get a taste this year. I wouldn't throw him to the wolves before Lewis is back.

Blanck - Thought he had a very solid game in the air, and was clean of the deck in conditions as well. Played a high standard game and think others down there followed him.

Morris - Pretty solid game, good balance of being strong in the air and off ground level. Building into it nicely.

Bramble - Some good moments, but I wonder if he is going to get overtaken by quite a few quickly who have more balanced skill sets/physical attributes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch BOG across 4 quarters. Might be his level but he deserves a senior callup.

Super impressed with Weddle. He’s good in the contest and does the physical stuff. But it’s his gut running to provide secondary options that is the most impressive, just doesn’t stop. Once he gains confidence to demand the ball reckon he'll easily get 25+.

Ramsden shows all the signs of a fantastic AFL player. One more preseason and he’ll be a best 22 lock.

Blanck was great. Killed a lot of high balls and knew when to peel off.

BMac had some good runs.

The JOS/Bennetts combo is really exciting, both pressure well. JOS was really impressive with his contested work and Bennetts is classy.

Butler got a heap of the ball and pressured well but the wet weather really hurt his kicking.

O'Hara continues to show good signs.
Weddle on an MCG wing, displaying his athleticism, getting better as the year and game goes on will be a force. Imagine him and Amon together.

Bramble finds the footy ok, but too often he's just careless with his disposal. Too casual? I dunno. If he can tighten that up he can still play a part.

Lots of good signs from the young kids today. But the Box Hill lads owned the midfield. Brown, Porter & Phillips immense, with thanks to Lynch of course.

Could not agree more, but the difference between the VFL and AFL is significant

Understand that, I should probably more specific. It's more focusing on the team development, cohesion and just getting used to playing together. In a hope that it will be translated when they're playing in senior together.

Already quite a decent kick of either peg. We'll have to be patient but there's a bit to work with.
Yep his kicking is a reason to be quite optimistic about him. Blokes that are impossible to move off the ball like Dusty just bring so much predictability for teams. You can run off knowing they will win the contest or at worst wrap it up and cause a stoppage.

What a thoroughly enjoyable game.

We had torrential rain and yet the skills of the Box Hill Hawks remained good. Our Box Hill boys are top shelf and were the motor that drove us to victory.

Brown, Porter and Phillips are excellent players who dominated the centre and transition. All would be in the votes.

Mascitti got back to his usual high standard, Beasley was rarely beaten, and Max Hall showed why he is being considered by AFL clubs. Trudgen and Coghlan played their rolls and Stanley was lively.

And then there is Jaylon Thorpe. What to say! He is something else. So close to being an AFL superstar but we love him for being the Box Hill Hawk’s live-wire. Dynamic, unpredictable, capable, and fun. Great game Jaylon.

On a wet day, big man Max Lynch was, for mine, B.O.G. He dominated the ruck contests, got involved, linked well in play around the ground, and kicked a goal. Would be playing for the Pies AFL team next week… if they did not let us take him.

Max Ramsden is potential personified… 4 goals 1 on a wet day for a guy 203cm is a phenomenal outcome. His ruckwork was good and he shows glimpses of being a Grundy style ruck/mid. Ruscoe (193cm) moved him off the drop of the ball a few times. He is Rocky hitting meat… getting stronger. I’d keep him in the VFL for an extended period of time to let him build dominance at the level before bringing him up.

Jack OS: when others think the contest is done, JOS finds a way to win it. Such energy! Was very good today but lacked polish. A single extra preseason will have him demanding a spot in Hawthorn’s 22. For now, looks great in his roll in the VFL.

Josh Bennetts: an OK day for Josh as he did his roll. The standout for Josh is his getting most situations right… which I guess is called footy IQ. He does the right thing and executes well most of the time.

James Blanck: A very good game. Not sure if he was beaten in the air but his runs from the back were Frost-esk… without the dump kick. Instead Blanck usually hit his teammate. An immediate call up for James is written in my book.

Josh Morris was not one I saw a lot… though I read he had 11 disposals. I cannot remember Tank doing anything wrong with those disposals... which is a tick in my book.

BMac: Did not see much of but for a couple of flashy runs and a shot a goal that ? did not make it.

Weddle: many loved his game. I saw him fleetingly. But what he did he did well. The fact that the guy runs is obvious.

Fionn OH: still trying to identify him. He seems so generic in his body shape. I saw him tackle a guy and saw the guy fall over as if tackled like a ghost. Haha. Still did not see Fionn. Jokes. I dislike bad possessions more than actual possessions and so fionn, to my knowledge did nothing wrong.

And the last 2:

Lachie Bramble: in his breakout year for Hawthorn he was near our bast player at the end of the season. And Bramble got plenty of it today. But something is off. His kicking efficiency, his link up play, something. He is a good VFL player but I expected more. Even his goal felt like he should have passed it, he went for the square … and it happened to go through.
Seamus was only OK today but I liked his game in the AFL more than Brambles in the VFL.

Kozi: started great And I thought he had got out of his funk. Was disrupting the defence and took a good pack mark. But faded badly. Down on confidence likely due to not knowing where to run. I have always thought he would be a good KPD but others say his turning circle is too large (I’m not convinced on that) Not a day for KPF and yet other Hawk FPF found a way. X roads for our big fella.

Clearly these are just my thoughts and mean nothing.

What means something is that Box Hill are a force to be reckoned with.

Next week = a lacking opposition.

But the following week is the GF playoff. Casey has been the the big dog for years.

I think we have their measure.

edit: I Missed Weddle. Frankly:he had minimal impact. Not to say he was bad…. He did good things and ran the wing. Helped out in the defence.
(Again I say… I did not see it all.)

Last edited:
What a thoroughly enjoyable game.

We had torrential rain and yet the skills of the Box Hill Hawks remained good. Our Box Hill boys are top shelf and were the motor that drove us to victory.

Brown, Porter and Phillips are excellent players who dominated the centre and transition. All would be in the votes.

Mascitti got back to his usual high standard, Beasley was rarely beaten, and Max Hall showed why he is being considered by AFL clubs. Trudgen and Coghlan played their rolls and Stanley was lively.

And then there is Jaylon Thorpe. What to say! He is something else. So close to being an AFL superstar but we love him for being the Box Hill Hawk’s live-wire. Dynamic, unpredictable, capable, and fun. Great game Jaylon.

On a wet day, big man Max Lynch was, for mine, B.O.G. He dominated the ruck contests, got involved, linked well in play around the ground, and kicked a goal. Would be playing for the Pies AFL team next week… if they did not let us take him.

Max Ramsden is potential personified… 4 goals 1 on a wet day for a guy 203cm is a phenomenal outcome. His ruckwork was good and he shows glimpses of being a Grundy style ruck/mid. Ruscoe (193cm) moved him off the drop of the ball a few times. He is Rocky hitting meat… getting stronger. I’d keep him in the VFL for an extended period of time to let him build dominance at the level before bringing him up.

Jack OS: when others think the contest is done, JOS finds a way to win it. Such energy! Was very good today but lacked polish. A single extra preseason will have him demanding a spot in Hawthorn’s 22. For now, looks great in his roll in the VFL.

Josh Bennetts: an OK day for Josh as he did his roll. The standout for Josh is his getting most situations right… which I guess is called footy IQ. He does the right thing and executes well most of the time.

James Blanck: A very good game. Not sure if he was beaten in the air but his runs from the back were Frost-esk… without the dump kick. Instead Blanck usually hit his teammate. An immediate call up for James is written in my book.

Josh Morris was not one I saw a lot… though I read he had 11 disposals. I cannot remember Tank doing anything wrong with those disposals... which is a tick in my book.

BMac: Did not see much of but for a couple of flashy runs and a shot a goal that ? did not make it.

Fionn OH: still trying to identify him. He seems so generic in his body shape. I saw him tackle a guy and saw the guy fall over as if tackled like a ghost. Haha. Still did not see Fionn. Jokes. I dislike bad possessions more than actual possessions and so fionn, to my knowledge did nothing wrong.

And the last 2:

Lachie Bramble: in his breakout year for Hawthorn he was near our bast player at the end of the season. And Bramble got plenty of it today. But something is off. His kicking efficiency, his link up play, something. He is a good VFL player but I expected more. Even his goal felt like he should have passed it, he went for the square … and it happened to go through.
Seamus was only OK today but I liked his game in the AFL more than Brambles in the VFL.

Kozi: started great And I thought he had got out of his funk. Was disrupting the defence and took a good pack mark. But faded badly. Down on confidence likely due to not knowing where to run. I have always thought he would be a good KPD but others say his turning circle is too large (I’m not convinced on that) Not a day for KPF and yet other Hawk FPF found a way. X roads for our big fella.

Clearly these are just my thoughts and mean nothing.

What means something is that Box Hill are a force to be reckoned with.

Next week = a lacking opposition.

But the following week is the GF playoff. Casey has been the the big dog for years.

I think we have their measure.
Weddle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back