Review Round 6, 2023 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

So what will it take to prove that Port are a decent team?

What if they knock off the Saints next week?
We've been knocking off the saints since 2010. They might be the only team, along with Gold Coast, we have a mental edge over. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we beat them.

Yeah I think people don't realise that Ollie's tolerance changed (and needed to).

We don't want Ollie kicking it inside 50.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Re. Kicking it inside 50
I left the oval disgusted halfway thru the last quarter when about 4 to 5 foot passes intended for a port player hit an eagles player right on his chest. All happened pretty close together. Such a basic skill!

I can’t recall a more boring game I’ve attended. Moreover the skills shown for such a perfect day were way below par.
I actually think we’re a better team than that but there’s this mental unpreparedness that shows itself constantly under this current coaching/leadership. You just know the killer instinct isn’t there to go all the way.

Rozee’s evasiveness is like no other in the comp. There was a moment yesterday where he pivoted back and forth 3 different ways in a quarter of a second before exiting straight out the front. He freezes opposition players as they have no clue where he will go and even if they do, with his speed and first step, he's already gone. What a unique talent he is. His kicking for goal outside 50 on the run is and can start to become even more of a weapon for his game.

Re. Kicking it inside 50
I left the oval disgusted halfway thru the last quarter when about 4 to 5 foot passes intended for a port player hit an eagles player right on his chest. All happened pretty close together. Such a basic skill!
Our skills might be at a hinkley reign worst. Wines is putrid, even by hand, how can boak after 300 games continue to miss piss easy shots in front of goal. He missed a shot from 20m out and at no stage did he look confident.. We turn easy 50 entries, I’m talking easy ones into bloody turnovers.

we never kick to the advantage of our players, we had a kick to burton in the 3rd (can’t remember who it was) easy pass into the pocket and he had to take a diving 2 grab mark that saved a turnover, a 30m kick under no pressure from an elite athlete, that almost missed.

it’s horrible to watch.. and one of the main reasons good sides touch us up..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading articles from the Melbourne media and the AFL I’m definitely getting a ‘reappoint’ Hinkley vibe’. Some of the praise was over the top

Wait until we’re 7-2 or 6-3 rolling into a FNF blockbuster at Adelaide Oval against the Dees.

Reading articles from the Melbourne media and the AFL I’m definitely getting a ‘reappoint’ Hinkley vibe’. Some of the praise was over the top

The media loves him.

Our skills might be at a hinkley reign worst. Wines is putrid, even by hand, how can boak after 300 games continue to miss piss easy shots in front of goal. He missed a shot from 20m out and at no stage did he look confident.. We turn easy 50 entries, I’m talking easy ones into bloody turnovers.

we never kick to the advantage of our players, we had a kick to burton in the 3rd (can’t remember who it was) easy pass into the pocket and he had to take a diving 2 grab mark that saved a turnover, a 30m kick under no pressure from an elite athlete, that almost missed.

Someone on Reddit mentioned Boak was getting kicking lessons from Jay Schulz, I questioned him about this and the guy posted a twitter link confirming it. Boak said thanks for the lessons in a tweet from last Nov. He still misses.

As basic as this no doubt sounds I was told by a trainer who was at the Power when the club first entered the AFL that when Scott Cummins had the goal kicking yips he was taken aside at training and instructed to aim his kicks at something at least 10 metres beyond the goals (eg a tree or a chimney), and not just at the opening between the posts.

Boak is a good example of just one Port player who `continue to miss piss easy shots,' and is arguably the worst culprit!

I like Williams but if McEntee had've done that kick in straight to a Weagles player his thread would be rivalling the Sack Hinkley one in length.
I think Williams just reacted instinctively to a call and lead from a player of the stature of Wines, who was running into a tiny space between 3 opponents. Wines should have known better.

As basic as this no doubt sounds I was told by a trainer who was at the Power when the club first entered the AFL that when Scott Cummins had the goal kicking yips he was taken aside at training and instructed to aim his kicks at something at least 10 metres beyond the goals (eg a tree or a chimney), and not just at the opening between the posts.

Boak is a good example of just one Port player who `continue to miss piss easy shots,' and is arguably the worst culprit!
I was told to aim at someone in the crowd, well behind the goals.

Problem was, this was country footy, and the only spectators there were sitting in their cars parked up against the fence! :eek:;)

Rozee’s evasiveness is like no other in the comp. There was a moment yesterday where he pivoted back and forth 3 different ways in a quarter of a second before exiting straight out the front. He freezes opposition players as they have no clue where he will go and even if they do, with his speed and first step, he's already gone. What a unique talent he is. His kicking for goal outside 50 on the run is and can start to become even more of a weapon for his game.

Yep - I also suspect his evasiveness is why he has a relatively low number of uncontested disposals for a player who spends so much time in the guts. He's not getting anything cheap but his ability to evade defenders to create space allows him to create time to use the ball with little pressure.

So what will it take to prove that Port are a decent team?

What if they knock off the Saints next week?
Ask me halfway through September. If we go 21-2 but lose another prelim I still want Ken sacked.

I think Williams just reacted instinctively to a call and lead from a player of the stature of Wines, who was running into a tiny space between 3 opponents. Wines should have known better.
Williams should stay in; he can cover either end of the ground.
SECONDS PLAYERS (loss to Sturt today; 108 Vs 70 points)
Today Hayes had three kicks and five hit-outs today, albeit; I know he was second fiddle to Lycett.
Lycett must stay out; five possesions and 33 hit-outs.
Georgiades, no marks, 3 kicks one goal.

The stand-out stats were Dumont, 26 possesions and five tackles and Evans; two goals, 18 possesions, three tackles and five marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back