Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Goodes is prepared to tackle. I haven't seen Reid doing too much of that lately.

But I still think Goodes would be better off coming back via the seconds.
Goodes averaged 2.1 tackles per game in 2013 from 12 games, and 2.9 per game in 2012. Reid has averaged 2 in 2012 and 2.4 from 10 games in 2013.

Hardly won't tackle... Maybe not quite at Goodes 2012 form, but he is only

I would say that Reid's strength, when in form, besides his athleticism, is the fact he marks the ball at its highest point and has a very long reach (10cm taller through the arms at 205cm vs 195cm height). To date, he had been in the team as the number one forward as a 19/20 year old and injured on and off since.

Reid is yet to play any significant amount of time with Tippett or Buddy which will see the oppositions ability to curtain his strength decline due to the presence of the aforementioned two. This will finally allow him to develop some confidence and we will begin to see Reid come into his own. He is still building on his huge frame.

My understanding of Reid's contract was largely performance based, which to date he has not been able to get on the park as 2013 was the first year of his five year deal.

Having only turned 22 less than four months ago, there is more than enough time for Reid to reach his potential, which I believe he will.

I hope its not going to be like last year when we said Cant wait to see Rohan and Jetta firing together. Clearly that didn't happen due to injuries

I cant wait for Franklin Goodes Tippett and Reid in the same side... Lets just hope its dry or the crumbers play well.

So with Tippett unavailable.

IN: Reid, Mitchell
OUT: Derrickx, Lloyd
Good call, Reid has flexibility and Mitchell can cover Derickx's ruck role

We're talking Patrick Mitchell here, I assume?

Has he already been elevated from the Rookie list? Must be picking up the foreign game if so.
I think Danair may have been referring to Tom, but he didn't make it clear so I seized the opportunity to promote big Patrick

Why risk Tippett against the Ds. Or Goodes for that matter.
Rampe will eventually play further up the field.
LRT must continue to play and build match fitness. And this is the game to give Toby Nankervis a run. Derryx out.
I'd like to see Lloyd retained this week against the Ds.

What are your thoughts on facing Roosy again guys? Obviously a champion of your club as player and coach. Is there much sentiment?

What are your thoughts on facing Roosy again guys? Obviously a champion of your club as player and coach. Is there much sentiment?

Not particularly from me. It's a point of interest and Fox Footy will likely produce some film clip to heighten the whole issue. While I'm obviously immensely grateful for everything he did for the club (he, Maxfield, Kirk and co. developed a platform on which we've established a very, very strong entity), he's with an enemy club now and I don't begrudge him wanting to coach again. It's just not a particularly emotional thing for me at least.

That he has brought so many Swans people with him to the Demons is a compliment for our club I guess. How are Demons people perceiving Roos' first 6 months at the club?

I find myself wanting Melbourne to win when I watch them on TV because of Roos but I hope we win by 150 on the weekend :)

He will always be loved for 2005 but the club is bigger than any individual and regardless of what he or anyone else did for the club, I always hope they have a miserable day when they play us.

We love Roosy and are forever grateful for the magnificent job he did for our club; firstly as a tireless, understated, dignified defender, then, as coach, winning our first flag in 72 years, instilling the Bloods culture, forcing the game to be played on our terms and consequently actually changing the way the game is played, finding little-recognised strengths in the playing group and focusing on them, making us a team that opposition teams could never again take for granted... I could go on.

But I would just HATE him to win on Saturday.

Re: Roosy, nothing but love for the guy. Really want to see Melbourne do well this year (have already improved) just not during this game. A percentage booster would be nice, after all our terrible start amazingly we are only one win and percentage from the team sitting fourth, so a couple of big wins the next couple of weeks could really see us climb. BUT Melbourne are not to be taken lightly.

I echo the sentiments of having Mitchell in the reserves for a week or so to really push for seniors again, after an amazing first couple of games he seems to have been a lock in everyones best 22 but I have been underwhelmed a lot since then, also with team balance etc as people have mentioned. Don't get me wrong I love the kid he is a future star but he hasn't really been setting the world on fire lately.

IF he is ready, would love to see the great man Goodesy run out at the G this weekend. There will undoubtedly be some rust so the next 2 weeks could be great to do that before things get harder, whereas Tippett is more likely to have in impact straight away. With Reid in the frame as well though, ideally we won't have to trial the super tall forward line for the first time against the Hawks.

I most humbly thank him for his service.

I hope the Swans smash the living crap out of the side he coaches now and any in the future.

I honestly think that the best thing for the Melbourne Football Club going forward is if the Swans smack them this week end by 120 points plus.
It will force Roosy to sort out who really will be part of his plans & who won't while at the same time, helping us get to where we really belong in this 2014 season.

Yeah! I love Roosy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a feeling that K. Jack may be a late omission. Last week was a pretty rough game and he looked stuffed at the end of it.

K Jack will be rested by the look of him holding his ribs after the match.
Tom Mitchell will come in & go in the middle which is where he is at his best. Jake Lloyd will play ressies which is what we do after someone has been a sub.
Rohan will come in as sub. It may be the time to give Nankervis a go against Melbourne but that would be too many changes coming off a win so Derickx will hold his spot. The only other change if any may be Reid if fit. No idea who goes out for him. Reid is versatile & is well liked by the coaches because of his defensive pressure when forward & he can take a grab as well. Hard match up.

After reading over all that, what do I know?

OUT: Derickx
IN: Nankervis

We won. There will be one change if that.

If you read the latest article on the Swans website about Nankervis it seems like he is convinced he is flying up to Brisbane for the weekends reserves match.

The Swans reserves will travel north tomorrow ahead of Friday’s ANZAC Day clash with the Brisbane Lions reserves in Mackay.

Nankervis said the team was excited about the chance to play on such an important day.

“It’s a long way to go up to Mackay, but it should be a really good match,” he said.

“It really is a great privilege for us to be able to play on ANZAC Day and the team is really looking forward to it.

“We played the Lions a couple of weeks ago and they are a really good team and I reckon it’s going to be a really good game.”

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-04-23/tippetts-tips-for-toby

I've got a sneaky that ROK may have another run in the seniors to get him back into form. Goodes should come straight in as sub if ready. Pointless playing him in the resizes.

Lloyd and Derricckcksssxx to have a spell.

KJ looked ginger with his ribs, given the oppo (touch wood) you'd rest him and give another mid a run. Whether that's ROK or someone like Robinson or Biggs is another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back