Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

the outcome I'm hoping for:

* Blatter out, Luis Figo re-enters presidential race
* Qatar stripped of the 2022 World Cup (hosting it there to begin with was REALLY ******* stupid idea)
* as much as I'd love to see it in Australia one day, I think the USA should host 2022 instead, they have the stadia and infrastructure readily available to host it
* 2026 World Cup host selection being a clean, fair and transparent process, without bribery, or ridiculous requests like knighthoods from officials

From Attorney General Lynch's statement from the presser. The full statement is at the link but this bit is telling. As one journo asked where does the retrived $150mil go? Some will be tax but how much will go back to grass roots soccer across the 2 American confederations

http://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/a...s-remarks-press-conference-announcing-charges

In addition to the indictment, we are also unsealing today the charging instruments of four individual and two corporate defendants who have already pleaded guilty to their involvement in racketeering activity and other criminal conduct. Among these defendants are a U.S. sports marketing company, a Brazilian sports marketing executive, and a U.S. citizen who, in addition to being the former general secretary of CONCACAF and a member of the FIFA executive committee, was a beneficiary of the 2010 World Cup bribery scheme. All told, these defendants have agreed to forfeit over $150 million in illegal profits they have made from these crimes.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/a...s-remarks-press-conference-announcing-charges

Thanks to JD-Roo he found the US Attorney' indictment against FIFA which I couldnt find last night.

http://images.businessweek.com/bloomberg/pdfs/FIFAindictment.pdf

VI. The Criminal Schemes................................... 48
A. CONMEBOL Copa América Scheme....................... 48
B. CONCACAF Gold Cup Scheme........................... 61
C. CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores Scheme.................. 63
D. CBF Copa do Brasil Scheme.......................... 70
E. CBF Sponsorship Scheme............................. 74
F. CFU World Cup Qualifiers Scheme #1................. 76
G. 2010 FIFA World Cup Vote Scheme.................... 80
H. UNCAF Region World Cup Qualifiers Scheme........... 86
I. 2011 FIFA Presidential Election Scheme............. 89
J. CFU World Cup Qualifiers Scheme #2................. 94
K. CONCACAF Gold Cup/Champions League Scheme.......... 99
L. CONMEBOL/CONCACAF Copa América Centenario Scheme.. 102

All of US Attorney General Loretta Lynch's speech and most of the speech by Acting U.S. Attorney Kelly Currie of the Eastern District of New York.

But the head of the IRS Criminal Investigation Divison had the best line over the 2 Attorneys and FBI Director Comey.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ifa-corruption-arrests-uefa-world-cup-cartoon
667c500c-2c6c-4faf-b689-bd6419072b18-300x204.jpeg

So many people benefit from Blatter's regime that nothing with FIFA will really change. Even if you get rid of Blatter, whoever will take his place will go the same way.

Germany gets 1 vote in the presidential election, so does Italy, so does France, so does England, so does Spain, so does Brazil, so does Argentina, so does Uruguay ie the 8 winners of the 20 World Cups between them get a total of 8 votes.

There is a good reason why you have 5 permanent members of the UN who have veto power each over the rest of the nations.

Look who has the same voting powers as the heavyweights above

CONCACAF - the dodgy confederation caught in the US sting
Now I have a pretty good knowledge of geography but I have never heard of the first place listed, a constituent country of the Kingdom Of Netherlands ( ie the same as Wales is to the UK). I have heard of Netherlands Antilles which is the generic name given to the Dutch Islands with include Curaco and Aruba, which I have heard of. The following have populations of less than 400,000 and are islands + Suriname and Guyana on on South American mainland.

Curaco................... pop 153,000 FIFA ranking 148 Kingdom of Netherlands
Antigua and Barbuda pop 86,000 FIFA ranking 106
Montserrat.............. pop 4,900 FIFA ranking 172 - UK dependency
St Vincent and Grenadines pop 110,000 FIFA ranking 110
St Kitts and Nevis... pop 55,000 FIFA ranking 112
St Lucia................ pop 185,000 FIFA ranking 131
Bermuda............... pop 65,000 FIFA ranking 128
Barbados............... pop 185,000 FIFA ranking 130
Aruba................... pop 110,000 FIFA ranking 136 Kingdom of Netherlands
Suriname.............. pop 560,000 FIFA ranking 155
Belieze................. pop 370,000 FIFA ranking 159
Guyana................ pop 750,000 FIFA ranking 163
Dominica.............. pop 71,000 FIFA ranking 165
Grenada................ pop 105,000 FIFA ranking 171
Turks and Caicos Islands pop 37,000 FIFA ranking 183 UK dependency
Cayman Islands.... pop 59,000 FIFA ranking 191 - UK dependency
Virgin Islands....... pop 105,000 FIFA ranking 174 - USA dependency
Bahamas............. pop 380,000 FIFA ranking 198
British Virgin Islands pop 31,000 FIFA ranking 198 - UK dependency
Anguilla.............. pop 14,000 FIFA ranking 209 - UK dependency

So the above 20 "nations" have more than double the voting power than the 8 nations that have won the 20 world cups. Even if you take out the UK, USA and Dutch dependencies who may agree to vote how their main country votes, you still have 12 votes. You can do this sort of list for Asia, Africa, Europe and Oceania and get a list of maybe 8 to 10 small nations for each confederation, who have the same voting power as the 8 world cup winners.

Its why a master politician like Havelange first and then Blatter, who served about 17 years as Secretary General for Havelange before taking over from him as President, have been able to hold off all challenges over 4 decades. They gave some of the FIFA largess to these small member associations and bought their loyalty and votes. When Blatter gets back in, he will be flying to everywhere in the Caribbean, Africa and parts of Asia, and he will be avoiding, USA and Europe.

Saw this tweet on Friday night that Andrew Jennings put out Thursday and posted the following on th Association Football thread. if you havent read his website over the years or his book FOUL! The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals, then have a look at

http://www.transparencyinsport.org/

And his books on FIFA and Blatter - I bought and read Foul in 2006 but might have to get the updated version, didnt buy Omerta - the mafia's word for code of silence.

1467494.jpg
_1423998_orig.jpg

http://www.transparencybooks.com/even-more-foul.html
http://www.transparencybooks.com/omerta.html

The Indictment against the 14 individuals

http://images.businessweek.com/bloomberg/pdfs/FIFAindictment.pdf

Individual indictments, Chuck Blazer, Daryll Warner, Darayan Warner, Hawilla, + 14 individuals ieWebb, Li, 'and others' as per the first link

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2088988/fifa-indictments.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/document-fifa-indictments.html

How the Indicted Officials Fit Into FIFA
By LARRY BUCHANAN, TOM GIRATIKANON and KAREN YOURISH MAY 27, 2015

Here are the high-ranking soccer officials and sports executives caught up in the FIFA investigation, as well as some of the schemes detailed in the Department of Justice indictment that alleges widespread corruption over the past two decades.

The 4th person convicted was Jack Warner's other son Darayan Warner who was involved in fraud relating to selling of World cup Tickets obtained via The FIFA Ticketing Office

138511_529cb47c46290a99cf377071820ceef1.png

138518_9765393a893305ff3e5e246857f02a6c.png

138497_1e2aa6b50670f3981ad16010d02c01db.jpg

Last edited:
Skins - the global Aussie sportswear company that make those tight long sports pants you see footballers we wearing at training in the winter months has teamed up with Jennings and International Trade Union Confederation and others to stop FIFA's hypocriascy

The Hypocrisy World Cup
Published on May 18, 2015

SKINS Pure Sport and international workers’ unions have today joined forces with #NewFIFANow to demand that FIFA sponsors accept their corporate responsibility and challenge human rights abuses at World Cup infrastructure construction sites in Qatar. This is part of an going campaign by #NewFIFANow, together with SKINS, for reform of FIFA.

and from Skins CEO James Fuller

How good would it be if every player at a world cup wore skins as part of their warm up and training gear?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is FIFA's money power comes from the World Cup and it's corporate sponsors. They'll always find some Arab oil prince or Russian zone dictator to host their World Cup and therefore the sponsors will continue to come- VISA has been murmuring about withdrawing, but if they do Etihad Airways or Gazprom will take their place like a shot.

Edit - the only ethical thing is to not watch World Cup fixtures. Don't watch, don't go, don't buy the sponsor's products if you can. Don't play the FIFA games.

For years I have thought UEFA should break away and form a new "international" organisation as Europe is where the big clubs are, the big nations apart from Brazil and Argentina, most of the biggest sponsors are based or do so much business in Europe and the big TV dollars come from European broadcasters - 48% of the total 2014 WC TV and media rights came from UEFA nations broadcasters. If UEFA nations pull out the value of rights from Asia and the Americas will drop substantially

The last few days I thought they could call it something like The Clean Football Nations invite in non UEFA nations to emphasis they arent dirty compared to FIFA and see if sponsors go with the clean vs non clean body. Yeah I know there are dodgy pricks in UEFA but they are more accountable.

On Thursday I looked up FIFA's financial statements for the year ended 31st December 2014. They have accumulated profits/reserves of $1.559bil USD which is made up of $1.081bil cash and short term deposits, current debt securities and deposits of $677mil and non current debt and equity securities of $580mil.

FIFA produce annual accounts but like to also report in 4 year blocks around the World Cup as that is their main revenue driver. Page 15 of report shows over 2007-10 + 2011-14 quadrenniums added $970 million to FIFA's accumulated reserves which were at $589mil USD at the end of 2006. FIFA had negative equity of 15 million Swiss Francs at 31st December 2002. (They changed which currency they reported in).

This is a big reason why UEFA wont leave. Most of $1.559bil comes from UEFA nations broadcasters and sponsors. They dont want to leave all those $$$ for Sepp to rip off and give to his dodgy mates. Its also a big reason why Sepp wont leave. He feels as if he has been mainly responsible for this success and wants a gravy train to continue.

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...istration/02/56/80/39/fr2014weben_neutral.pdf

Some quotes from Sepp speeches from the Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/football...presidential-bid-amid-corruption-scandal-live
"It’s certainly with great emotion that I take up the word at end of this 65th congress which takes place in a storm."

"We don’t need revolutions, but we always need evolutions. I am being held accountable for the current state. Ok, I will shoulder it, I will accept this responsibility to fix Fifa, together with you. I promise through this love that I have for the game. Our Fifa. A strong Fifa, a beautiful Fifa, but I cannot do it alone. I need all of you. Everything that we do and that we will do in the future is based upon trust, respect and fair play."

“Fifa has become a business. It is no longer a club as it is in the Swiss civil code, like a swimming club or a fishing club.”

Blatter vows to reform Fifa and stand down in four years. He is speaking in French, perhaps appealing to his African base, and is much more animated on the stand, gesticulating passionately and making much more eye contact with the crowd than Prince Ali. He is fired up!

"The World Cup is the goose of the golden eggs. We must protect that. We also have the obligation not only to fight against corruption."

"You know me already, I don’t need to introduce myself to you. You know who you’re dealing with. I also know I can count on you. We need to recover our good name. We will start tomorrow morning with this goal in mind."

He’s talking as though he’s already won!
"What is this notion of time? Time is infinite as we slice it up. I feel the time I have spent at Fifa is short.”
Wow. Getting deep here Sepp. He’s been president since 1998, by the way.

"We need a strong leader, an experienced leader. A leader that knows all the ins and out of the situations. We need to work with our political partners. Thank you, and I hope that I will be able to be with you in an hour or two." Blatter signs off

Blatter now comes to the stage:
I thank you, you have accepted me for the next four years. I will be in command of this boat of Fifa. We will bring it back off shore.”More nautical references!nWe need in this committee women. We need ladies. We won’t touch the World Cup. I am a faithful man, God, Allah, whoever, they will help us to bring back this Fifa. At the end of my (four year) term, I will give Fifa to my successor. It will be robust.

I like you. I like my job. I am not perfect. Nobody is perfect. Together we go. Let’s go Fifa! Let’s go Fifa! [chanting]

A bit later
"It is my congress, I have the right to make the closing remarks. This is a very important congress. You see I am in a good mood. I was a little bit nervous today, but now I am the president of everybody, I am the president of the whole Fifa."

"This game is important, but more important, enjoy life!"

What a way to sign off. He has truly out Sepp-ed himself there.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...presidential-bid-amid-corruption-scandal-live

This video below from Andrew Jennings from his BBC Panorama program ( equivalent of 4 Corners) in December 2010 just before the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting rights details where and how this really started to unravel.

It all really started when Zurich based International Sports and Leisure went into bankruptcy in 2001. Thats when some of the information started getting out. ISL was set up in the 1970's by Horest Dassler. Dassler is the son of Adidas founder Adolf Adi Dassler and nephew of Puma founded Rudolph Dassler. The Dassler brothers after 20 odd years together split up in the late 1940's and ended up being vicious rivals. When Adolf died in the late 70's Horest took over Adidas and he introduced the world to sports marketing and stitched up FIFA, IOC and IAAF. Dassler and former FIFA president Havelange were very close. Dassler dies in 1987 and the FIFA boys had a big say how they did there business after his death.

In a strange sort of way Osama Bin Laden might be the one who indirectly brings down FIFA. The resultant Patriot Act introduced by the Bush administration means the US no longer turns a blind eye to money moved in and out of tax havens and other secret banking systems like Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Cayman Islands etc. As Deep Throat told Woodward and Bernstein, follow the money. The USA deciding to follow his words has opened up the secret banking money movements by everyone and FIFA have been caught up in that net.

Worth a read
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/...irty-depths-Blatter-s-kingdom-corruption.html

How FIFA were nailed by last act of revenge of a dying man:
Investigative journalist ANDREW JENNINGS reveals how former official led him and the Feds into the dirty depths of Blatter's kingdom of corruption

• FIFA official Chuck Blazer was reported to FBI for stealing $2million a year
  • He was exposed by Andrew Jennings who spent years uncovering scandal
  • Blazer believed to be working with the FBI to take down former colleagues
  • He is now gravely ill in a New York hospital suffering from colon cancer
  • Jennings believes more arrests to come and Blatter may already be co-operating with FBI as more officials wait for own actions to be exposed
For the past two decades, Andrew Jennings has been exposing corruption within football’s world governing body Fifa, run by overlord Sepp Blatter. In 2006 he presented the BBC Panorama investigation The Beautiful Bung: Corruption and the World Cup.

He later published the books Foul! The Secret World of Fifa, and Omerta: Sepp Blatter’s Fifa Organised Crime Family. As the first person to expose Fifa corruption, Jennings was approached by the FBI at the start of the investigation that led to the dawn arrests in Zurich last week. Writing exclusively for The Mail on Sunday, he describes his role in the seismic events that have rocked the beautiful game…..

Jennings ends his article with

The arrogant Mr Blatter probably doesn’t realise he is heading an organised crime family. But it is a classic structure. He deploys the billions Fifa earns from the World Cup in barely audited multi-million dollar ‘development grants’.

Then there’s the World Cup tickets to sell into the black market. My sources gave me documents listing $100 million (£65 million) in bribes to the most senior Fifa officials. They were paid though secretive Liechtenstein trusts and nominee bank accounts.

When Fifa’s dark forces threatened one female witness, I called the FBI. They were on her doorstep later that day. They debriefed her for three days – and that evidence is not in last week’s first indictment. Some thuggish insiders at Fifa should worry.

Mr Blatter has surely known for years about the FBI investigation. I don’t know when he will be arrested but there is an incredible amount of new evidence for the FBI to analyse. Then they will have to take it to a grand jury. Is it possible that Sepp Blatter is already one of the several co-operating witnesses as yet unnamed? Anything is possible.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...atter-s-kingdom-corruption.html#ixzz3biylumjg

Corruption in a large scale organisation?! Its unheard of. I'm sure there's been corruption and bribes before Blatter in the organisation. And I'm sure it would've also been as well documented as now. Why did tey go ahead with the charges now?! I suppose the underlining question would've been would Have FBI pressed on with the charges if it was US to host the WC?!

Corruption in a large scale organisation?! Its unheard of. I'm sure there's been corruption and bribes before Blatter in the organisation. And I'm sure it would've also been as well documented as now. Why did tey go ahead with the charges now?! I suppose the underlining question would've been would Have FBI pressed on with the charges if it was US to host the WC?!

I work with a bloke from El Salvador (mad RMadrid fan I've been teasing him all year about that) and I asked him that same question- this corruption has been common knowledge since Andrew Jennings' first book. So why now?

We figured the Yanks want to give Russia a hard time and spoil their World Cup party. Nothing else makes sense.

Why did it take the Royal Commission in 1995 to catch the bent NSW coppers with dodgy s**t going back to 1969? There dodgy s**t was well documented. There were court cases but the evidence didnt get convictions. Same with the Royal Commission into children in institutions thats been going on for a couple of years. There was dodgy s**t for 6 or 7 decades.

Why now? They might have been ready for a month or two but when the FIFA congress was on, was a great time to launch it and catch a lot of them in one place. At the presser the Attorney General, US Attorney and FBI director made it very clear this is the start not the finish of the process.

Chuck Blazer didnt lodge tax returns and pay any personal tax between 2005-2010 and Blazer also failed to file tax returns for CONCACAF from 2004-2010. This investigation started after 2010 WC vote for 2018+2022 but it was always going to happen. The IRS eventually were going to go after Blazer. The BS over the WC vote probably kicked started it but people from FIFA and CONCACAF started leaking stuff as they had enough. It took the US to use all their resources to go after this and its taken 4 years so far. The Poms, The Germans The French etc arent tough. And those dodgy Swiss were never going to go after this despite all the evidence coming out over the years. They were going to go and get records from their dodgy secretive banks.

You say well documented. What do you mean by that?? There are documents and there is really evidence to get a conviction.

This story in yesterday's Oz from their sister publication the Sunday Times shows how long and hard it was for the 2 investigative journos from the Sunday Times broke the story of the dodgy 2018+2022 votes. If it took journo's interested in soccer 4 years to get to the bottom of it, why would it take crime fighting government organisers any less time and then they have to go collect evidence. Remember 4 of the guys in this story have received a convinction. They have gone before a Grand Jury in the USA. As the US Attorney General said in her presser "In addition to the indictment, we are also unsealing today the charging instruments of four individual and two corporate defendants who have already pleaded guilty to their involvement in racketeering activity and other criminal conduct."

From attic to A-bomb: how sleuthing journos lifted lid on FIFA

As the FBI slowly built its case against the FIFA executives arrested on corruption charges, America’s crimefighters were not alone in deploying hidden recording devices to expose the poisonous layers of avarice that have enveloped international football. Tapes secretly compiled by undercover reporters for The Sunday Times have haunted FIFA for half a decade.

For the investigative journalists who uncovered the shattering network of bribes, kickbacks and slush funds that tainted Qatar’s winning bid for the 2022 World Cup, the only surprise last week was that it had taken so long for justice to catch up with the men who run the world’s most popular sporting competition.

The Sunday Times investigation into corrupt practices surrounding the World Cup bidding process began five years ago, when undercover reporters from the Insight team posed as lobbyists supporting an American bid. They secretly recorded conversations with officials who appeared to be prepared to sell their votes.

That early work would eventually lead to the extraordinary day, four years later, when reporters were introduced to a FIFA whistleblower who unveiled an astonishing cache of several million emails, bank statements, telephone logs, letters and other internal documents.

For the first time, FIFA’s innermost workings were laid ignominiously bare. A series of front-page Sunday Times reports, beginning on June 1 last year, told the full, sordid, demoralising story of how a senior Qatari official had bought football glory for a tiny desert kingdom with scant professional sporting history but unimaginable wealth. Back then we called it “the masterminding of a dirty game”.

When Jonathan Calvert and Heidi Blake — who together comprised the Insight team — began examining the leaked FIFA files in a spartan provincial attic far from the newspaper’s London newsroom,.....

Now they had been presented with every investigative reporter’s dream: a data leak of mammoth proportions. But this gift came with conditions. The source was nervous, and would allow the cache to be accessed only from a secure room cut off from the rest of the newspaper. The documents would be viewed on computers controlled by the source, and could not be sent electronically to anyone outside the secure room.

The deal the paper struck was clear-cut: Calvert and Blake would spend three months working on the story in secret, and would publish a full account of the investigation only at the end. If any material leaked early, or the source’s identity was blown, the deal was off.

Blake and Calvert found themselves cast into a data-filled void. Only senior editors and the newspaper’s lawyers knew where they were and what they were doing. Their families and friends were, for the most part, kept in the dark.

The cache they had to scrutinise was so huge they quickly realised it was a physical impossibility to read every document. So they hired a technical expert to install forensic search engines that could scan the entire database for key words. Their focus was Qatar, and anyone who might have been involved with the 2022 bid........

From attic to A-bomb: how sleuthing journos lifted lid on FIFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back