Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I owe my boss a cake. Damn Port. That wasn't cool.
A bad few sporting days for you Diego. Brazil lose 0-1 to Colombia in Copa America last week although did bounce back against Venezuela, the women lost 0-1 to Oz in the Women's World Cup knock out round and the U-20 World Cup men lost the final 1-2 to Serbia in NZ on Saturday. Any of your other teams lose last weekend?

A bad few sporting days for you Diego. Brazil lose 0-1 to Colombia in Copa America last week although did bounce back against Venezuela, the women lost 0-1 to Oz in the Women's World Cup knock out round and the U-20 World Cup men lost the final 1-2 to Serbia in NZ on Saturday. Any of your other teams lose last weekend?
Haha I'm used to sporting misery! Flamengo also lost 2-0 in the weekend!

Of all those bad results, the one that disappointed me the most, along with Port's result, was the Women's national team defeat to Australia.

I feel so sorry for Marta, who is such a great player but has still to win a World Cup or a Olympic Gold medal... she deserves it, but yet again poor goalkeeping cost our girls so badly. Made me feel so bad for her.

Good luck to the Aussie girls for the rest of the competition though!

I feel so sorry for Marta, who is such a great player but has still to win a World Cup or a Olympic Gold medal... she deserves it, but yet again poor goalkeeping cost our girls so badly. Made me feel so bad for her.

Good luck to the Aussie girls for the rest of the competition though!

Outside the current and past Aussie Matilda players, there are only 3 female international players I know anything about and can name them, the US's Mia Hamm - a true great, current US goalkeeper Hope Solo - I think its the name more than anything, and Marta. Marta has a great left foot and I have seen her score some amazing goals. What has she won, is it 6 or is it 7 FIFA Player of Year awards?? Its a pity she will end her career without the ultimate prize.

Did you get to meet her when you were working for WC organising committee? She was an ambassador wasnt she?

Outside the current and past Aussie Matilda players, there are only 3 female international players I know anything about and can name them, the US's Mia Hamm - a true great, current US goalkeeper Hope Solo - I think its the name more than anything, and Marta. Marta has a great left foot and I have seen her score some amazing goals. What has she won, is it 6 or is it 7 FIFA Player of Year awards?? Its a pity she will end her career without the ultimate prize.

Did you get to meet her when you were working for WC organising committee? She was an ambassador wasnt she?
I think she was, but I never got to meet her.
I'm a big supporter of the Women's national team though - they deserve far more respect and support.

I think she was, but I never got to meet her.
I'm a big supporter of the Women's national team though - they deserve far more respect and support.
Partly because of the time difference of the current world cup (2.30am and 4.30am games) but the general Oz sporting community has only now woken up to the Matida's WC campaign after their win against Brazil and how good they are.

If you see Australia play watch out for striker Lisa De Vanna. She isnt as skillful as Marta but her left foot strikes on goal are as lethal as Marta. But she has been a little overshadowed by younger striker at the WC -Kyah Simon, who scored the winner against Brazil, after De Vanna got into space and went for a run and drilled the ball at goal, the Brazilian goalie deflected it but Simon ran onto the ball and like her two goals against Nigeria, did a great diagonal kick to the other corner of the goal. DeVanna scored the equaliser against USA before half time (lost 1-3) and then the opening goal in the 1-1 draw with Sweden. Between them they have scored all 5 goals and both play in the Oz W-League and then the US Women's National Soccer League.

Geez I am glad Gonzalo Jara isn't playing for Forest anymore, first the Hopoate and then the play acting

DeutschFrauleins into the World Cup semis after blitzkrieging the French mademoiselles on penalties after their quarter final finished 1-1.

A poor error after a corner kick, by the Aussie goalie and central defender getting in each others way let the Japanese player put a short kick in across goal to her team mate who was free, because the other Matilda defender went to assist her teammates, and that free Japanese player kicked the winning goal in the 87th minute. All this happened inside the 6 yard box. Looked bloody hot out there. I fast forwarded thru most of the game when I got up to watch this morning at 8am on tape - wasnt getting up to watch it live at 5.30am and it was noticeable that the longer the game went the more long ball blast type kicks were done and I put that down to heat fatigue.

Stanley_Park did you get down to watch the Canadians and the Poms - or watch it on the box. Only saw the highlights an hour ago as was out mots of the day. What was the build up and the post story in the Canadian media after the Canucks lost 2-1? Germans look like the team to beat of the 4 left although getting past the Yanks in the semis wont be easy.

Stanley_Park did you get down to watch the Canadians and the Poms - or watch it on the box. Only saw the highlights an hour ago as was out mots of the day. What was the build up and the post story in the Canadian media after the Canucks lost 2-1? Germans look like the team to beat of the 4 left although getting past the Yanks in the semis wont be easy.

I forgot that it was on yesterday- thought it was today. I'm just not that into soccer to actually go to a game. But I've watched various snippets of the tournament. More significantly is that Mrs P has been watching games when I'm at work and she's one of the least sporty folk I've ever met. People at work have been talking about the games too.

The whole tournament has been a pretty big deal. The group of 16 games onwards have been on CTV's main channel (think channel 9) not just on the sports networks. Christine Sinclair, the captain of Canada and star player, is on television a lot on commercials. I think FIFA got a bit lucky that no Canadian team made the Stanley Cup playoff this year so people were ready to watch something else. And it's been amazing weather too. One game was stopped for lightning but apart from that its been sunshine all round.

Here's how local CTV covered it.

The whole tournament has been a pretty big deal. The group of 16 games onwards have been on CTV's main channel (think channel 9) not just on the sports networks. Christine Sinclair, the captain of Canada and star player, is on television a lot on commercials. I think FIFA got a bit lucky that no Canadian team made the Stanley Cup playoff this year so people were ready to watch something else. And it's been amazing weather too. One game was stopped for lightning but apart from that its been sunshine all round.

Here's how local CTV covered it.

Is CTV still the only true national commercial network like 25 years ago?? Yeah I know CBC carries ads buts its a government TV network. I was surprised that CTV wasnt a stronger/better network but that might have been because Global TV group wasnt that big and didnt invest much in it. I assume being owned by Bell Canada that's all changed these days.

Is CTV still the only true national commercial network like 25 years ago?? Yeah I know CBC carries ads buts its a government TV network. I was surprised that CTV wasnt a stronger/better network but that might have been because Global TV group wasnt that big and didnt invest much in it. I assume being owned by Bell Canada that's all changed these days.

It's still the biggest but Global is more a force these days as is CityTV network owned by Bell's great rivals Rogers.

It's still the biggest but Global is more a force these days as is CityTV network owned by Bell's great rivals Rogers.
CityTV, have they moved out of Toronto and gone national?? Does the newsreader still sit on the desk rather than behind it reading the auto cue??

Is there a national soccer league in Canada - with national TV coverage on free TV or TSN / pay TV. Or is it still provincial and only the Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal teams in the MLS get any TV coverage?

CityTV, have they moved out of Toronto and gone national?? Does the newsreader still sit on the desk rather than behind it reading the auto cue??

Is there a national soccer league in Canada - with national TV coverage on free TV or TSN / pay TV. Or is it still provincial and only the Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal teams in the MLS get any TV coverage?

City are national now. News readers behind the desk. They're big on the Breakfast TV news market rather then the evening news. CityTV Vancouver doesn't even bother with an evening news service.

MLS is on the sports networks- there's no national league though. There's a second tier NASL that has Canadian teams. But Canada doesnt embrace the MLS the way that Seattle has embraced the Sounders, for example. Sounders games are live on Fox/NBC affiliate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RussellEbertHandball does this sound familiar?

Canada Soccer deflected the first round of questions to FIFA's headquarters in Zurich. Questions then needed to be emailed. Repeatedly. Eventually, it turned out that only one person, Peter Montopoli, the CEO of the organizing committee, was empowered to answer. After more calls and some gestures by Canada Soccer towards Montopoli's availability, it became clear that five minutes on the phone with him, now pushed until late next week at best, wasn't ever going to happen.

Liverpool vs Adelaide United game coming up on Monday night. I have a ticket for it, but I can no longer go. Couldn't find anyone to look after my daughter, and I don't really want to bring her with me and have her out that late at night, in amongst thousands of rowdy football fans.

If anyone wants to go, but hasn't been able to get a ticket, will sell my concession one, that I paid $77 for, for $40. Shoot me a PM if you want it, and we'll try and work out time and place for exchange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surprised 'Pool aren't wearing Red for their game tonight...
Liverpool clearly a class above, but didn't dominate like 6-0 style. Actually very happy to see these match ups ....

Of course we are a long way off, but Brisbane were ultra competitive I thought. Bearing in mind that the entire A League squad value could equal one EPL player, well that was a terrific effort.

2-1.

The dullest atmosphere of any event that I have attended at the redeveloped AO... I was hoping for so much more entertainment!!!

As for YNWA.... More like YAWN!!!

They needed to take a leaf from the Crows game day experience manual and play some crowd noise through the PA system or something!!

To each their own I guess!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back