News Rucci: Travis Boak may or may not renew contract at Port Adelaide (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

send him to richmond as a package deal with Chaplin.

Isn't it funny that only a few years ago, Geelong bragged about how they built their own side from scratch and didn't try to trade their way to success.

I don't know who ever said that - arguably our most valuable player during our three premiership years was Ottens, the last big name trade we did. We got Mooney from North, and our dual premiership captain from you guys....

For what it's worth, I don't think Boak is worth pick 4 in this upcoming super draft but nor do I think our first round pick would be adequate compensation given we look likely to finish 6th-9th. We still have an Ablett compo pick. Am I correct that if we trade that to you, you can activate it next year and it will be linked to your 2013 position?

"A senior Port official said his club had no reason to believe that if Geelong had met Boak yesterday morning it had breached any AFL regulations."

Does anyone have the name of this Port official? I have a bridge to sell.

Isn't it funny that only a few years ago, Geelong bragged about how they built their own side from scratch and didn't try to trade their way to success.

Geelong's glory years are built around their 1999 to 2002 drafts, however they traded to build their squad around those drafts.

From 1998 to 2004 they did the following trades

Tom Harley
Jason Mooney
Simon Arnott
Tristan Lynch
Scott Bamford

Cam Mooney

Justin Murphy
Mitchell White

Brent Grgic

Ben Finnin

David Hynes
David Loats

Brad Ottens

Drafts - premiership players ( or close eg David Johnson was an emergency)
1999 Corey, Chapman, Ling, Enright, traded for Mooney
2000 Hunt
2001 Bartel, Kelly, Steve Johnson, Ablett, David Johnson the so called first super draft
2002 Mackie, Lonergan, Rooke was a rookie elevation.
They have drafted 1 or 2 above average players each draft since 2004 draft, but the cupboard is becoming a bit bare as those 1999 to 2002 draftee/trades are coming to the end of their career as well as Scarlett.

And the father/son timing looks to be out for the next few years, so they will be hitting the trade tables.

it will be attached to your finish in 2013/2014, with a boak in his prime running around for you.

Thanks for clarifying. How do you guys feel about our first round pick and the compo pick, effectively two first round picks over two years?

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. This culture of players effectively lying to their clubs about their intentions the following year is really horrible and as you know we've been through it and it derailed what could have been a grand final/premiership season. I don't envy what you all must be feeling now.

Thanks for clarifying. How do you guys feel about our first round pick and the compo pick, effectively two first round picks over two years?

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. This culture of players effectively lying to their clubs about their intentions the following year is really horrible and as you know we've been through it and it derailed what could have been a grand final/premiership season. I don't envy what you all must be feeling now.

All ill say is the way geelong is going about this they better be prepared to negotiate in good faith with port.

I don't know who ever said that - arguably our most valuable player during our three premiership years was Ottens, the last big name trade we did. We got Mooney from North, and our dual premiership captain from you guys....

For what it's worth, I don't think Boak is worth pick 4 in this upcoming super draft but nor do I think our first round pick would be adequate compensation given we look likely to finish 6th-9th. We still have an Ablett compo pick. Am I correct that if we trade that to you, you can activate it next year and it will be linked to your 2013 position?

It's not worth anything thanks all the same. This is not a super draft. Emma Quayle made this assessment not long ago.

Good but not quite a super draft

The feeling among recruiters now is that the coming draft hovers somewhere between ''normal'' and ''pretty good,' but that it is not one with the potential to solve everyone's problem in one hit. One club has a list of 20 players it would happily choose. Another has closer to 30, and that's about standard for this time of year.

Good but not quite a super draft

If Melbourne are offering pick 4 then Geelong better find a way to get up to that value because they've just massively overplayed their hand. What sort of shit club would they look like if they blew trading him in by getting cheap after they crawled over here on their hands and knees begging him to play for them?

Surely the meeting was arranged by Boaks management... A player we are interested in agrees or wants to meet with us... Of course we are going to go??! People saying its a dog act are just chewing some sour grapes..

To me it seemed odd we are sending our coach and leaders, last minute attempt at persuasion?

Oh great, another round of news to allow us all to jump to conclusions that we couldn't possibly know.

Thread should be locked and should stay locked until the decision is officially made.

You don't think the fact our acting Captain is having a meeting with a rival club's officials and players is worthy of discussion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the meeting was arranged by Boaks management... A player we are interested in agrees or wants to meet with us... Of course we are going to go??! People saying its a dog act are just chewing some sour grapes..

'Sour grapes'?

Cause Guy McKenna and Malcolm Blight having lunch with Gary Ablett Junior in Torquay midway through 2011 would've triggered calls for a Callipo'n'Boardshorts party down Geelong way? "Gee, but we were invited you rats' tossbags!"

Oh that's cool then, I'll have a pineapple one.

I just can't see this ending well.

To me it's like saying to my Mrs, " honey, I'm considering leaving you but before I make my final decision I'm just going to invite my prospective squeeze and my family over for the afternoon and if things don't work out I'll stay with you."

The damage is irreparable. Relationship over.

To me it's like saying to my Mrs, " honey, I'm considering leaving you but before I make my final decision I'm just going to invite my prospective squeeze and my family over for the afternoon and if things don't work out I'll stay with you."

This is my gut feel aswell. If Travis was likely to stay, and loved the club as much as he professes to love the club, he'd surely be able to see how damaging to the club this could be and tell geelong to cool their jets.

Indeed. Imagine he'll announce departure tomorrow at presser with family by side.

'Sour grapes'?

Cause Guy McKenna and Malcolm Blight having lunch with Gary Ablett Junior in Torquay midway through 2011 would've triggered calls for a Callipo'n'Boardshorts party down Geelong way? "Gee, but we were invited you rats' tossbags!"

See where you're coming from. Callipos are delicious.

Oh great, another round of news to allow us all to jump to conclusions that we couldn't possibly know.

Thread should be locked and should stay locked until the decision is officially made.

Nah.

I personally find it staggering that Boak agreed to meet with Geelong. Geelong have sent a massive shock wave through the PAFC. Whether they get Boak or not, they've made his position at the PAFC look shakey.

This is definitely worthy of discussion on a public discussion forum.

'Sour grapes'?

I had no issue with gold coast talking to Ablett, I have issues with him taking the cash and running. Issue is with the player, not the club involved... My point was in response to the f**k Geelong mentality shown here.

Seems the cats are doing what they can to try get a player they are interested in, the same way Freo would be with Cloke, GWS with Goddard..

My thoughts on Boaks family being there are that he's told them of the meeting and wants to discuss it all with them face to face afterwards to make a decision.. I havent seen anywhere that we took them over.
Apologies if it's been reported that we did, but I haven't as yet seen that.

Not too concerned TBH... Geelong are certainly desperate, as highlighted by last nights defeat to Collingwood, they'll pulling out all stops to stop their slide from the Top 4.

I reckon Boak really wants to stay, Geelong know this and are now throwing everything they can at him.

They would have booked this in well before last nights game against Collingwood.

Perhaps they should be concentrating more on winning games of football?

Anyway I have no issues with Geelong doing what they are doing but I have massive issues with Travis disrespecting the club like this (assuming he agreed to meet them which is almost certain).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back