Injury Russell your feathers - discuss all things high performance; injury lists, Marvel surface, curse from the gods and Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

A player's performance is infinitely easier to judge than what goes on behind the scenes though, and much easier to compare to other players on similar contracts.

You're just taking a wild guess.

Exactly right. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Well...I probably could have, but you hit the nail on the head regardless.

Also interesting the query to outline Russell's role was completely ignored. I wonder why?

A player's performance is infinitely easier to judge than what goes on behind the scenes though, and much easier to compare to other players on similar contracts.

You're just taking a wild guess.
It's not a wild guess, it's an educated opinion based on known factors.

To Jeremiah, I didn't address the specifics of the role as it's a bit of a redundant question - when discussing relative value, the question should be "is Russell the best high performance manager in the league" - because we recruited him to be that guy. But if you want my response, he's a director of high performance. Responsible for managing fitness, injury management and mental resilience the team - leading the strategy for high performance.

To Jeremiah, I didn't address the specifics of the role as it's a bit of a redundant question - when discussing relative value, the question should be "is Russell the best high performance manager in the league" - because we recruited him to be that guy. But if you want my response, he's a director of high performance. Responsible for managing fitness, injury management and mental resilience the team - leading the strategy for high performance.
Educated? Please.

If the question is "is Russell the best high performance manager in the league?", how could you possibly answer?

Could not be solely responsible for injury management. Gotta have some medical professionals in that space.

Its a cruel game.we saw that from the Hawks era....Hawks would study oppositions and grind them down...3 rd ...4 th quarters would bring their engine room and outwork,could put big money on it...Hawks always had lots of injuries,busy rehab was needed to efficiently return players in workable condition quickly

Hawks were fitter and more focussed....ruthless....professionals
high training thresholds bring injuries....a lot
good teams always have injuries because they train hard....one of the things missing a t the Blues
as an exaple currently all hammies to Walsh,Cerra,Gov.....can be from repetitive high intensity training,these are not knocks,or impact injuries,thses are from athletes working hard
our depth is holding up at moment ,just.....

I don't really want to start an endless crap fight but want to make the 'simple' point you can at least discuss Russell's performance on a site like this which is what it is designed for, and then if you want base your opinions on outcomes rather than knowledge of inner workings of a role, that is fair enough.

For example...outcomes like the following without any knowledge of inner workings but knowledge that Russell has some accountability in this space...

Cant pinpoint dates to due to shoddy memory...
  • Cripps changing his physique with Russell's input and losing form as it didnt work?
  • Fisher playing on in a game completely injured then going out for weeks as a result - think he lost all form thereafter
  • Martin playing indigenous round when 'completely' underdone
  • Cunners 'long long' layoff around soft tissue injury
  • Lots of other smaller things but it only spawns more responses

Now aside from making that point, i can't believe how we are playing right now - soo pumped!!! If we keep winning like this then the real point is that it doesnt matter so much. The coaching/performance/medical group will not have the best personnel in the league (i'm sure we have some average types); they will have a split of abilities but it might be that blend of personalities that makes the whole work better.

I've secretly thought since Teague's last year that we had a strong list that should have been performing then. Now, I personally think we have a crazy good list that should be top 4. I'm glad for Vossy that he has righted the ship; and us as a group of supporters can finally have some success in watching games.

Could not be solely responsible for injury management. Gotta have some medical professionals in that space.
Depends on your opinion on a leadership role. A CEO for example is ultimately accountable for everything in a company - they may not be the one that signs the cheques every day because they delegate responsibility, but the buck has to stop somewhere.

A high performance director would have injury management as a key accountability and KPI.

IMHO, as an outsider, it is impossible to judge 1 person as to their effectiveness

Two strong rumours. One from the start of last year where it was decided that players as a whole needed to increase their workrate and that the benefits would unfold medium term. The other was we would be more conservative with injury management and returning players

Some players are more injury prone to soft tissue injuries, which we have seen with many of the same players, even when they were at other clubs

Doc, Charlie, Cuners, Martin, Gov getting back on the park after big and or reoccurring injuries has been massive to the team

Our sustained workrate, outrunning some of the best teams, is also a great indication of successful programs

There is a reason why Russell is highly regarded, being part of multiple teams winning flags

If the concern is based on the money he is on, no decent fitness person would come cheap

If a lesser type comes in on half the salary and we experience similar injuries to the same players, then I suspect the rhetoric would be, why aren't we targeting the supposed best in the business as we are in a strong financial position

If we want to target the any of the best 3 candidates, the question would be, are they willing to leave a current role to join us

JMO, if Russell departs, it would be his decision, rather than the club wanting to make a change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on your opinion on a leadership role. A CEO for example is ultimately accountable for everything in a company - they may not be the one that signs the cheques every day because they delegate responsibility, but the buck has to stop somewhere.

A high performance director would have injury management as a key accountability and KPI.
Sure he'll have some aspect of injury management. It will be well defined and distinct from the medical component. Can you tell us what it is that he is solely responsible for?

Sure he'll have some aspect of injury management. It will be well defined and distinct from the medical component. Can you tell us what it is that he is solely responsible for?
Again, really feels like we're diving into semantics, but "sole responsibility" is probably a stretch for any of his key accountabilities. He's a director of high performance, so whilst he has responsibility for a lot of the elements of injury management, mental resilience etc...it's not a "sole responsibility", but he is accountable for his hires to achieve that.

Again, really feels like we're diving into semantics, but "sole responsibility" is probably a stretch for any of his key accountabilities. He's a director of high performance, so whilst he has responsibility for a lot of the elements of injury management, mental resilience etc...it's not a "sole responsibility", but he is accountable for his hires to achieve that.
So you think the docs report to him?

I think they would consult to him mainly but there would be some non-negotiable that would override him. Eg. concussion, heart complaint etc.
The review in 2021 said
  • There is a high level of expertise in the high-performance area, however opportunity exists to clearly define roles and responsibilities.

That implies that there were issues of communication and maybe overlapping (or underlapping) roles. Don't think we can sheet everything to Russell without knowing what those definitions turned out to be. Its not semantics, its being clear about who is responsible for what.

Thread seems to have gone quiet now we have a (relatively) healthy list (probably one of the best going into finals ......)
shut the fuck up GIF
shut the fuck up GIF
angry pointing GIF by truTV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back