Injury Russell your feathers - discuss all things high performance; injury lists, Marvel surface, curse from the gods and Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

If we win a premiership soon, Andrew Russell probably becomes the most successful high performance person of all time? Essendon, Port, Hawthorn and hopefully us.

Injuries are something all clubs have, we have had more than average at times but there are other factors. We have probably recruited quite a few players who were obtainable because of a long injury history. We have been a poor club for a long time which means a lot of players have had to play sore or injured because we have not had to the depth to rest them. We have also not had the depth on the field to manage players loads, such as midfield rotations. We have a lot of guys who are not naturally great athletes but are natural footballers and no doubt they would have to be trained harder. Our old game plan involved creating congestion which created more physical contact and crash and bash style of footy so more impact injuries. Not enough easy wins means working and competing a lot harder all the time.

A few hamstring injuries is not ideal but it is footy and they are pretty common.

Injury list is in great shape currently.

If we win a premiership soon, Andrew Russell probably becomes the most successful high performance person of all time? Essendon, Port, Hawthorn and hopefully us.

Injuries are something all clubs have, we have had more than average at times but there are other factors. We have probably recruited quite a few players who were obtainable because of a long injury history. We have been a poor club for a long time which means a lot of players have had to play sore or injured because we have not had to the depth to rest them. We have also not had the depth on the field to manage players loads, such as midfield rotations. We have a lot of guys who are not naturally great athletes but are natural footballers and no doubt they would have to be trained harder. Our old game plan involved creating congestion which created more physical contact and crash and bash style of footy so more impact injuries. Not enough easy wins means working and competing a lot harder all the time.

A few hamstring injuries is not ideal but it is footy and they are pretty common.

Injury list is in great shape currently.
right, stamos?

I’ve been a huge critic. Full credit to where the list is now. Marchy, Cuners, Martin in particular have come good after horrible runs with soft tissue injuries. Well done.
Yep me too. I still stand by the question of cost benefit, but hard to argue that players started to get their bodies right at the pointy end of the season.

I wanted to start a thread where we can discuss the performance of Andrew Russell and the HP team since his arrival. I believe the consistent soft tissue injuries to players deserves further discussion. Marchbank, Martin, Cunners and Mcgovern spring to mind.

His interview on dyl and friends, where he admits that one of his weaknesses (talking about a specific client) in the past was not listening to the concerns of his clients, to which he boiled down to bad communication on both ends. Is that something that's meant to be ignored?

I think it's fair to debate Russell and the HP team.

Although I'd argue the players chosen by the Opium are poor examples.

Martin and McGovern were recruited with soft-tissue (and professionalism?) histories.

Marchbank has been pretty much perma-injured since he was 16.

Cuners has had so many unrelated injuries that it suggests to me either his body just isn't built for the rigours of football or in a previous life he walked under a ladder, tripping over a black cat on Friday 13th and went crashing into a mirror.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted to start a thread where we can discuss the performance of Andrew Russell and the HP team since his arrival. I believe the consistent soft tissue injuries to players deserves further discussion. Marchbank, Martin, Cunners and Mcgovern spring to mind.

His interview on dyl and friends, where he admits that one of his weaknesses (talking about a specific client) in the past was not listening to the concerns of his clients, to which he boiled down to bad communication on both ends. Is that something that's meant to be ignored?
If you recruit players who have an injury history, then maybe you should be looking in another direction than the fitness staff if you're playing the blame game....

All of who played in our finals series and have completed mostly full pre-seasons?

Interesting time to raise concerns..

It was stated/rumoured during the Teague era, that Russell was overruled in regards to length of rehab time lines, essentially players being pushed to come back earlier and or underdone

When Voss arrived, strategies changed.

The list as a whole was deemed not at the required levels of fitness and workloads were increased.

With increased workloads, the understanding was that the required levels of fitness would take 2-3 years to reach appropriate levels

2nd half of last year and especially leading into finals, we were one of the healthiest lists at that pointy end

Now, right at this moment, I can't remember a healthier list 2 weeks out from the 1st game

But, if anyone here is a qualified fitness professional, I would appreciate their take on the situation

Nothing to do with Russell, but in the last 5 years, have we ever started a season opener with a clean bill of health across our key top 15 players?

Is it an impossible ask to start one season with a full healthy squad?

It was stated/rumoured during the Teague era, that Russell was overruled in regards to length of rehab time lines, essentially players being pushed to come back earlier and or underdone

When Voss arrived, strategies changed.

The list as a whole was deemed not at the required levels of fitness and workloads were increased.

With increased workloads, the understanding was that the required levels of fitness would take 2-3 years to reach appropriate levels

2nd half of last year and especially leading into finals, we were one of the healthiest lists at that pointy end

Now, right at this moment, I can't remember a healthier list 2 weeks out from the 1st game

But, if anyone here is a qualified fitness professional, I would appreciate their take on the situation
Who was responsible for allowing Walsh to play at the back end of 2022 when he was injured? This was under Voss. Ultimately this is a high performance decision that has backfired and resulted in a 22 year player requiring back surgery.

Who was responsible for allowing Walsh to play at the back end of 2022 when he was injured? Ultimately this is a high performance decision that has backfired and resulted in a 22 year player requiring back surgery.
what exactly do you want? what will keep you happy? endless reviews? dismissals? there is no such thing as a perfect player, season, club, high performance manager - everyone makes a blue, players get injured and re-injured - what is your solution? or do you just want to be told 5 minutes after every injury, what happened, how it happened, what the future options are etc - entitled much?

what exactly do you want? what will keep you happy? endless reviews? dismissals? there is no such thing as a perfect player, season, club, high performance manager - everyone makes a blue, players get injured and re-injured - what is your solution? or do you just want to be told 5 minutes after every injury, what happened, how it happened, what the future options are etc - entitled much?
I'm simply asking the question. Isn't Andrew Russell one of the highest paid at the club? We have a right to ask these questions. Making a blue on a 21 year old who ultimately required back surgery is one. If you don't like to hear facts that's fine. Don't shoot down people who don't agree with your views.

Who was responsible for allowing Walsh to play at the back end of 2022 when he was injured? This was under Voss. Ultimately this is a high performance decision that has backfired and resulted in a 22 year player requiring back surgery.

And you would know this how?

Meaning that Walsh's issues would get worse by playing/training

Lastly, I am not interested in rear vision mirrors

I'm simply asking the question. Isn't Andrew Russell one of the highest paid at the club? We have a right to ask these questions. Making a blue on a 21 year old who ultimately required back surgery is one. If you don't like to hear facts that's fine. Don't shoot down people who don't agree with your views.
Okay you have questioned Russell - some agree with you, and some don't. Where to next?

how am I shooting you down? have I abused you? told you to shut up? stopped you from posting your opinion? how about you don't read a bit of pushback from other posters as shooting you down? now you're suggesting it's russell's responsibility that walsh required surgery?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back