Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Nathan Gordon

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Other

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So in terms of a pesky defensive half forward type who kicks and creates goals, who do you reckon will step up and cement a role moving forward?
Sam Lloyd?
Nathan Gordon?
Other?
Both Lloyd and Gordon showed some good signs at times in 2014...

Gordon for me - just reckon he will become very very good.

I like both but only believe as a forward only Lloyd has shown me he can make it. Gordon is a hard one, you cant question his endeavor and work ethic, he just tries so hard its admirable BUT he is a very limited footballer IMO. He did some nice things this year but also some real shockers, I hope he makes it but I still have doubts.

For me, I believe Knights will fill the role quite easily. He will force a small back to stay with him because he is so dangerous, not just kicking goals but kicking to a lead. If Knights does not come on then i think McDonough will show he has a lot more tricks then both Gordon and Lloyd.

its a great situation for the club to be in to have such good depth in the small forward department . Gordan , Lloyd , Madonna and a fit Knights are all good aquasitions to the team and can fight it out over summer . Out of all these guys Madonna has the most tricks but be aware Hardwick will be trying to find a spot for Newman again and I didn't see any backline with Newman listed in the best 22 thread and he's too old and slow for the wing so these poor guys are going to be shafted I feel.

We're actually in a great position with a bunch of players expected to improve considerably all for various reasons, we nail this draft and get say two 150-200 gamers and with the expected improvement we could have the 4-6 upgrades from 2014 that so many believe we need to be a premiership threat...

Exciting times!!

Knights is an interesting one - knackered by injuries over the past 3 years... (10 games in 3 years, none in 2014)
Turned 28 in September, rare for players who have had chronic injury issues in their late 20's who can come back as good as before. (poor dude)
Also, I cant remember Knights ever having real pace & that's where I prefer Gordon for example.

I think Lloyd is the more natural forward, but he is limited athletically.

Gordon is a superior athlete and is also quite tall and takes plenty of grabs as well.

I like them both.

Going to go wide and say Ahmad Saad will win the position lol...rumors are we were drafting him. I think if Gordon is to kick up another level he needs to join the midfield rotation. Lloyd apparently working hard to get his running up to scratch.

I think Gordon is used more as a 'just run' sort of guy (his nickname is Red Dog). A lot of his goals for memory (and including for North Adelaide) seemed to be initiated from running back to goal (as opposed to a lead up forward). I think ultimately, you could have Gordon and Ellis on the wings just running all day - and running their opponents into the ground.

Lloyd is more creative and a goal sneak, but is limited athletically. Knights could be the player, or he could be cooked. We won't know until pre-season matches start. It is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed though.

Madonna for me is the perfect small forward. Not only dangerous around goals but can go into the middle. He is also the best kick out of all 3 by a mile.

Although if Lloyd can bridge the gap between his best and worst he could be anything.

Gordon needs to become a wingman IMO, Strong in the air, good defensively and has elite endurance.

Knights is an interesting one - knackered by injuries over the past 3 years... (10 games in 3 years, none in 2014)
Turned 28 in September, rare for players who have had chronic injury issues in their late 20's who can come back as good as before. (poor dude)
Also, I cant remember Knights ever having real pace & that's where I prefer Gordon for example.

Define pace @Rochy8. You see for me, its the speed in which a player thinks/reacts. That could be to create space, read the play to take a grab and then release the ball to either have a shot or hit up another forward. in those things i believe knights will not struggle. You are right though, a lot of players have not recovered there careers with the injury's Knights has had but here is hoping he does not run over any cats or breaks any mirrors :p. The reason I think Knights will do so well for us, if fit, is simply what he offered when he played. Our forward line was immediately more dangerous and his impact was huge. He is that rare player who is clean with the ball regardless of pressure applied.

I still remember the start of 2013 season and that block of games he played before he hurt himself at Port. If he can regain that form, it will be a huge,huge plus. To me, I see Gordon evolving into a mid if he is still on the list next year. His endurance and never say die attitude plus courage would add value there IMO.

As to Newman, I doubt he will impact who plays forward. obviously we will see next year but IMO Newman will be the new permanent sub like Gainsaracusa<sp> from the Dogs in his last year. Gets injected late in the third fresh when the pace of the game has dropped off so his decision making and ball use will compensate for whatever lack of speed he may have.

They are pretty different players, both could easily fit in the team if form permits.
Sam Lloyd is more of a forward pocket, Nathan Gordon is more mobile so would play as a HFF or wing.
Lots of competition for those two spots with McDonough, Knights & maybe Arnot who should be playing up forward... plus McBean

I voted for Gordon as the vote said half forward/midfielder, given I see Lloyd closer to goal he wasn't really an option. Question should probably be Gordon, McDonough or Knights?

Define pace @Rochy8. You see for me, its the speed in which a player thinks/reacts. That could be to create space, read the play to take a grab and then release the ball to either have a shot or hit up another forward. in those things i believe knights will not struggle. You are right though, a lot of players have not recovered there careers with the injury's Knights has had but here is hoping he does not run over any cats or breaks any mirrors :p. The reason I think Knights will do so well for us, if fit, is simply what he offered when he played. Our forward line was immediately more dangerous and his impact was huge. He is that rare player who is clean with the ball regardless of pressure applied.

I still remember the start of 2013 season and that block of games he played before he hurt himself at Port. If he can regain that form, it will be a huge,huge plus. To me, I see Gordon evolving into a mid if he is still on the list next year. His endurance and never say die attitude plus courage would add value there IMO.

As to Newman, I doubt he will impact who plays forward. obviously we will see next year but IMO Newman will be the new permanent sub like Gainsaracusa<sp> from the Dogs in his last year. Gets injected late in the third fresh when the pace of the game has dropped off so his decision making and ball use will compensate for whatever lack of speed he may have.
Yep - pace is subjective for sure...
Matty White has tons of it but his feet move faster than his brain and that's why we don't really miss him IMO.
Then you look at someone like Steve Johnson (hate it when everyone calls him Stevie J) - has limited pace but is rarely caught and always looks like he has plenty of time. Knights in his prime is possibly similar.

If Gordon does evolve into a mid I will burst a helmet blood vessel... :oops:

As many have mentioned. Red Dog & Lloydie seem to bring slightly different skills to the forward line. It's possible we may keep both, but If so one (likely Gordon) will be given another role ie Wing. It's a great position for the RFC to be in. As far as small forward roles go we have alot of competition. I'm not sure we can keep all of them. So the ones we keep will be those who can work very hard and continue to grow their game & bring value to the squad. I'm hard pressed in general to remember when there was this kind of competition for spots overall.

P.s Good thread & discussion Roachy8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonough is better than both. Unfortunately the brains trust down at tigerland thinks he is a half back flanker.

With your tag. Not sure serious ??

Knights walks into the role if he can get himself fit, very classy player and hopefully in for a big year.

Agree McDonough should be next in line, has more strings to his bow and does a lot of things really well, half forward should be his spot.

Both Lloyd and Gordon need to take the next step if they are to be long term players. Lloyd needs to work on his fitness and consistency as well as defensive pressure, his good is definitely good enough just need to see it more regularly and needs to apply more defensive pressure. Gordon I think needs to become a wingman and to do that he needs to increase his production and get up to the 20 disposals a game on a wing opposite Ellis, think he could be quite damaging just needs to get enough of the ball.

I like both but only believe as a forward only Lloyd has shown me he can make it. Gordon is a hard one, you cant question his endeavor and work ethic, he just tries so hard its admirable BUT he is a very limited footballer IMO. He did some nice things this year but also some real shockers, I hope he makes it but I still have doubts.

For me, I believe Knights will fill the role quite easily. He will force a small back to stay with him because he is so dangerous, not just kicking goals but kicking to a lead. If Knights does not come on then i think McDonough will show he has a lot more tricks then both Gordon and Lloyd.
Not sure how you can say Gordon is a limited footballer. Kicks goals, takes marks wants to hurt people and runs all day. Seems ok to me, but sure needs to more of the ball to be even better.

Would love to see this forward line next season!

HF: Gordon Griff Deledio
FF: Lloyd Riewoldt McDonough

Martin, Cotchin, Titch, Knights (deserves some luck with his body) all rotating/having spells in the forward half.

Vickery (hoping for a big 2015 from big Vick), McBean, Lennon and Arnot (potentially as a defensive forward) all as depth.

Not sure how you can say Gordon is a limited footballer. Kicks goals, takes marks wants to hurt people and runs all day. Seems ok to me, but sure needs to more of the ball to be even better.

Totally agree flea . Funny thing is there's nothing flash about him he just runs so hard he creates opportunities for himself. Which I realise is an obvious statement. But he kind of reminds me of a mild mannered super hero. Unassuming but bobs up @ times. Not like a Cotch or Lids (our high end class), if that makes sense?? Hope he can continue next season & show it was not an anomaly ....

Totally agree flea . Funny thing is there's nothing flash about him he just runs so hard he creates opportunities for himself. Which I realise is an obvious statement. But he kind of reminds me of a mild mannered super hero. Unassuming but bobs up @ times. Not like a Cotch or Lids (our high end class), if that makes sense?? Hope he can continue next season & show it was not an anomaly ....
Yeah agree, he just needs to get the ball more to have a real impact. Would love to see him on a wing, running all day.

353437-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

or GTFO

Looks like a back flanker or a VFL footballer to me Chimp , he'll have to work hard on his defensive game before he can become a forward. The game has changed. After a year in the backline we'll need to re teach him how to attack.

Back