Sammy Mitchell should we approach him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it time to talk about Leon losing the keys to the Lamborghini .
Is Super Sammy the answer?
I think he could be. I think Leon has done a reasonable job, but surely someone else could be better. I think last night we played knowing we would lose anyway, so effort was poor. It made for another Friday night embarrassment for the afl. He deserves the rest of the season though

On a more serious note, I've seen what can happen when coaches without a decent amount of experience get appointed and it's generally not pretty. Sam might be a great coach but I hope he takes at least a couple more years as an assistant before putting his hand up for any jobs.

If we go for an untried coach at some point, it has to be someone who has a solid apprenticeship. Someone like Scott Burns for example. The ideal senario is a quality experienced coach looking for a new challenge, but that is unlikely.
In practice that might mean a Ratten or Jon Barker. But I dont even favour a review until the end of next year at the earliest. In reacting to tactical skills after a loss people ignore the fact that a huge priority for the club has been player retention, and certainly anecdotally Leon's empathy and relationships with the players has been a significant contributor in that regard. We have a lot of players off contract next year and dumping a coach would definitely not be a positive in that regard, unless their's some serious s**t going on behind closed doors. I very much doubt that.

The trend in recent times of clubs not dumping coaches is a recognition that it will destabilise a club. There needs to be a really big upside to compensate for that.

Last edited:
In practice that might mean a Ratten or Jon Barker. But I dont even favour a review until the end of next year at the earliest. In reacting to tactical skills after a loss people ignore the fact that a huge priority for the club has been player retention, and certainly anecdotally Leon's empathy and relationships with the players has been a significant contributor in that regard. We have a lot of players off contract next year and dumping a coach would definitely not be a positive in that regard, unless their's some serious s**t going on behind closed doors. I very much doubt that.

The trend in recent times of clubs not dumping coaches is a recognition that it will destabilise a club. There needs to be a really big upside to compensate for that.
As I have pointed out elsewhere, Tiggers stuck with Dimmer and he was able to recognise the changes he and the team needed to make to capture success. The same can realistically happen with Leon. I am in favour of sticking it out for now. If we do not make top four and have a poor finals series, then let's review things at that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I have pointed out elsewhere, Tiggers stuck with Dimmer and he was able to recognise the changes he and the team needed to make to capture success. The same can realistically happen with Leon. I am in favour of sticking it out for now. If we do not make top four and have a poor finals series, then let's review things at that point.
I'd still say end of next year at the earliest, regardless of what happens this year. Realistically we'll end the week 5th.
Regardless of BF opinions he has 2 years on his contract and wont be sacked anyway. We aren't a member owned club that can agitate from below. The AFL queried the generosity of the exit clauses in his extn last year. I think they were deliberate so he can hold himself above the criticism, and concentrate on his job.
In any case the AFL wont be agitating for his removal

I think the bloke that is most gettable and underrated is Brad Scott.

A tough uncompromising player on the park he has had time to learn his craft and improve.

He has a seriously average list and not had huge help via the draft yet consistently puts out a side that is well drilled, fit, and competitive.

North Melbourne have no money and realistically are not a flag contender in the short term.

Make him an offer he can’t refuse and he will walk.

I think the bloke that is most gettable and underrated is Brad Scott.

A tough uncompromising player on the park he has had time to learn his craft and improve.

He has a seriously average list and not had huge help via the draft yet consistently puts out a side that is well drilled, fit, and competitive.

North Melbourne have no money and realistically are not a flag contender in the short term.

Make him an offer he can’t refuse and he will walk.
Is he though?

Didnt the Suns make a play for him and he turned them down?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sam Mitchell will be a great coach I’d say a couple years too soon rn

Too right old chap he has made a massive difference to our on ball division polar opposites from the 2016 and 2017 rubbish we dished out
Your mids have certainly performed above expectations, perhaps that's partly that they were underrated. It does suggest whoever is coaching them is doing a good job.

As far as mids coaches go though, I think you'll find we're happy with Lenny Hayes. Like Leon he will suffer a bit from the perception our list is superhuman, but he has taken the potential and made a group that delivers, and our stats in that area shot up when he arrived.

He was pretty much gone and then North came back and got him at the death. The negotiation was long and the relationship was tested.

I reckon if we went strong we could get him.
Fair enough. I would make a play then.

North have the worst list (in my opinion) but he is getting allot out of it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Your mids have certainly performed above expectations, perhaps that's partly that they were underrated. It does suggest whoever is coaching them is doing a good job.

As far as mids coaches go though, I think you'll find we're happy with Lenny Hayes. Like Leon he will suffer a bit from the perception our list is superhuman, but he has taken the potential and made a group that delivers, and our stats in that area shot up when he arrived.
To be fair you have Cameron, Kelly, Scully, Greeene and Delido out that is 5 A graders out of your team. You take out 5 A graders out of anyones team they will find it tough

To be fair you have Cameron, Kelly, Scully, Greeene and Delido out that is 5 A graders out of your team. You take out 5 A graders out of anyones team they will find it tough
I'm not a fan of blaming injuries. We put our best team out there and trust them to get it done is my view. The team we put out on Friday night had the capacity, we just had a shocker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back