Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

No quote to support the rather strong headline - typical
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29412360/selwood-says-heart-bleeds-blue-and-gold/
But supports what many of us thought (ie that the contract delays were because of injury setbacks), rather than Scooter wanting to leave
I hope he stays

Adam Simpson says Selwood has been offered a contract previously ..... the article saying Selwood needs further ankle surgery after finals , that would be four surgeries in two years on an ankle doesn't look good for Geelong to show too much interest anyway ... not at $ 500 000 per year as reported anyway .

Sounds like he is staying which is okay anyway , bleeds blue and gold .

No quote to support the rather strong headline - typical
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29412360/selwood-says-heart-bleeds-blue-and-gold/
But supports what many of us thought (ie that the contract delays were because of injury setbacks), rather than Scooter wanting to leave
I hope he stays

Ugh. Haven't seen anything this year (or last) to suggest he'll ever get back to his best.

Simply doesn't have the quick hands and decision-making needed to compensate for his poor kicking and lack of pace

Don't blame him for wanting to stay though. Who'd want to play for Geelong?

Ugh. Haven't seen anything this year (or last) to suggest he'll ever get back to his best.

Simply doesn't have the quick hands and decision-making needed to compensate for his poor kicking and lack of pace

Don't blame him for wanting to stay though. Who'd want to play for Geelong?

East perth should be pretty happy with this. He will bleed Blue and Black for the rest of his career.

Delaying for surgery can't be helping his contract talks here. Guess if it looks bad next year we can put him on the LT1 list but I think it will take a full preseason where he is fit to get back to where he was a few years ago.

Hmmm, I'd rather he go (remember the rumours in 13' season that Melbourne were keen for a first rnd pick ) but I'm doubting we'd get 1st round compo, which is limits our ability to trade in one of these talked about players and keep a 1st round draft pick.

So with Selwood left out of the team again, what are people's expectations for his role in the finals?

Surely if he doesn't play this week, he won't be selected for the finals? Unless someone gets injured OR has an absolute stinker against the Saints (pretty unlikely).

Let's assume Schoey comes in for Nelson next week. Really, the only player left who could be questionable in terms of whether they're best 22 is Hutchings - but I reckon he's done enough at this point to keep his spot (although he can gtfo when Duggan comes back next year).

Simmo the other day mentioned Selwood's injury issues - but you'd think his non-selection was as much about his lack of form than anything.

"He's played 70 or 80 minutes at East Perth," Simpson said.

"So he'll get some more minutes this week. See how his body pulls up.

"He's obviously been very disrupted. He's still part of our squad, he's emergency and if we need him we'll call upon him."

Not exactly a huge ringing endorsement. But it would be stupid to change up our team at this point of the year unless it's absolutely necessary.

Given his likely non-selection in the finals, you'd have to think his time here is about up.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. The coaches will make their decision, which will probably be without Selwood. If we get injuries we get injuries, just what's happened this year. Hopefully he has a good game for EP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was done weeks ago when the article about him going to Geelong made it onto the official site of the game.
He would've been asked and his reply would have been "I don't want to sign untill my ankle comes good and I play some good footy"
He played 7 or 8 games in a row. His ankle is fine. His footy is not and he wont sign. He's going to Geelong.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. The coaches will make their decision, which will probably be without Selwood. If we get injuries we get injuries, just what's happened this year. Hopefully he has a good game for EP.
He did have a good game for EP. He's absolutely fearless but was also quick with the team decision and set up a lot of plays. Also showed a bit more pace and skill today. He was always good early in his career but appeared to lose confidence and panic at times but would be an absolute asset if he could continue on today's form.

He did have a good game for EP. He's absolutely fearless but was also quick with the team decision and set up a lot of plays. Also showed a bit more pace and skill today. He was always good early in his career but appeared to lose confidence and panic at times but would be an absolute asset if he could continue on today's form.
I thought he got better as the game went on

Played well today and his 2 goals never looked like missing :eek:

I have no problem bringing him back this week.

I was at the game, this is what stood out to me the most was his pace (and the set shots) I thought I saw an easy turnover as well though but it could have been Adamson, couldn't see 100%

Overall was a good sign, this is what he should have been doing for 3 or 4 weeks ages ago before coming back. Still things to work on but good signs.

From AFL Rumours board

"I have it on very, very good authority that Selwood and Dangerfield are 100% to Geelong. Dangerfield is coaching a juniors football team down Geelong way aswell."

PARTY TIME!

Only reason I would like to see Scooter go is if his compo pick could be used to snare Bennell.

(and yes I have bagged the s**t out of him all year but really it's was the coaching/management staff I should have been dirty at).

Nothing flash from Scooter tonight but he put his body on the line every single time he had to and won some crucial contests.

Will make a good sub for the remainder of the finals IMO.

Nothing flash from Scooter tonight but he put his body on the line every single time he had to and won some crucial contests.

Will make a good sub for the remainder of the finals IMO.

Agreed. I feel for the bloke a little. He throws himself at everything and I respect that but it only gets you so far? I think he should go.

Showed some promise tonight. Simmo needs to get in his ear about holding the ball and also teach him how to get his hands free when tackled. Apart from that he was ferocious and had a few skillful disposals that set goals up.

Im generally tolerant of him but i saw nothing of him that impressed me.
Gets to the ball first yet his first instinctive response is to go to ground and try burrow forward as if to win the free kick.
Almost as if hes resigned to being tackled.
I dont see why he cant do what Sheed does and keep his feet and try dispose of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back