Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
On Monday night vs the tigers S Selwood (who i refuse to call by his affectionate nickname "Scooter") had 6 clangers. They werent just blind kicks out of a pack for a rushed clearance either. His disposal is dreadful and always has been. And before all of his fans stick up for him by saying the whole team was down on skills Monday night, he is leading our club for clangers this year. Yet despite this he is constantly named in our teams best players.

In an era where the opposition kill you on turnovers, surely something has to be done about this. Has kicked 1 goal 5 behinds so far in 2013 which gives you no confidence when he runs into an open goal. Such is his poor kicking, you can hear S.Selwood getting the same treatment Rowan Jones used to cop, where people in the crowd can be heard yelling "oh dont kick it to him".

Thoughts?

Both coaches thought he was the best Eagles player on Monday despite the clangers...

That's an indictment on the way our whole team played, not a victory for him. His kicking is outrageously bad. I was at the Roos game and paid a fair bit of attention to him. Often chooses the right option, but then just shanks it, disappointing because he certainly knows how to get the footy.

On Monday night vs the tigers S Selwood (who i refuse to call by his affectionate nickname "Scooter") had 11 clangers, more than double of any other Eagles player. They werent just blind kicks out of a pack for a rushed clearance either. His disposal is dreadful and always has been. And before all of his fans stick up for him by saying the whole team was down on skills Monday night, he is leading our club for clangers this year. Yet despite this he is constantly named in our teams best players.

In an era where the opposition kill you on turnovers, surely something has to be done about this. Has kicked 1 goal 5 behinds so far in 2013 which gives you no confidence when he runs into an open goal. Such is his poor kicking, you can hear S.Selwood getting the same treatment Rowan Jones used to cop, where people in the crowd can be heard yelling "oh dont kick it to him".

Thoughts?

According to the AFL website, Scott Selwood 11 clearances, not 11 clangers. He had 2 clangers for the match.

The skills of the whole team weren't up to the necessary standard. A bit unfair to pick on one player IMO.

According to the AFL website, Scott Selwood 11 clearances, not 11 clangers. He had 2 clangers for the match.

The skills of the whole team weren't up to the necessary standard. A bit unfair to pick on one player IMO.
Forget about the AFL website, i was at the ground and saw him kick 2 clangers in the space of 30 seconds on the south city side of the ground. I counted at least 5 in the 1st quarter alone.

Forget
abouy the AFL website, i was at the ground and saw him kick 2 clangers in the space of 30 seconds on the south city side of the ground. I counted at least 5 in the 1st quarter alone.

I was at the game as well. If you have a different definition of clanger compared to the AFL stats, fine.

As I said, the skills of the whole team were below par. Selwood's skills were not great, but sometimes there is more to it then just that. As a team, it wasn't just disposal, but decision making and ball handling. Tends to happen when you're under actual pressure or perceived pressure or when you're teammates aren't working to help you get more time to execute your skills properly.

To criticise the skills of one player is ridiculous.

Yes, his kicking was awful against Richmond and hasn't been great all year.

And before all of his fans stick up for him by saying the whole team was down on skills Monday night, he is leading our club for clangers this year. Yet despite this he is constantly named in our teams best players.

That on it's own doesn't really say much. How about this one? Gary Ablett has the most clangers of any GC player this year. Yet despite this he is constantly named in his teams best players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an indictment on the way our whole team played, not a victory for him.
He was actually rated as the 2nd best on the ground by one coach and 3rd best by the other. You can't just suggest he's the best of a bad bunch if the team that belted us was seen to have just 1 or 2 better players.

Not only are you laying into Scott, but Rowan too?

Scott is a great player who will become a club legend in time.

As for Rowan, you should be ashamed for taking The Lord's name in vain.
Just dont understand the fan fare. In fact i just dont understand the general thinking of most people on this board. Everyone admits that our midfield is s**t, but as soon as you mention individual players and their deficiences all of a sudden people here are quick to jump to their defense. These blokes are getting paid $200,000+ and when you kick as poorly as Selwood you deserve the criticism. Same goes for Gaff and his inabilty to tackle, kick on his right, or chase an opponent from behind who has the ball.

Yes S.Selwood tries hard, but so does mcginnity. The game is football, and kicking well is kind if important. Actually its the most important aspect of the game. Maybe in Mainwarings era Selwood would be a club legend, but spraying the ball to a pack just doesnt cut it any more. Go ahead and flame me i couldnt care less. A large proportion of you live in fantasy land and hope like hell that what your seeing isnt the truth. But much in the same way that Swift and Notte never became elite, Selwood wont either. He's not our next Cousins, Kerr, Judd or even Braun. He is a slow plonker who has been around for 6 seasons and he still couldnt hit the side of a barn if he tried.

Id be interested to see how people individually rate our midfielders actually. Its widely acknowledged that we have a C grade midfield, but no-one seems to want to name names. Its bloody weird. On current form:
Masten: B+
Shuey: B-
Priddis: C+
Kerr: C
S.Selwood: C
Gaff: D+

Dare to disagree with our current ladder position and the very likely chance we will miss the top 8 given our next 6 games??

Glf
Blue and Gold Blood

I think we've got no chance of playing finals.

Our young mids certainly need to improve, I agree, but he's a decent player.

I was just standing up for Rojo mainly. :)
fair enough. As much as Jones frustrated me, ill always remember his crucial contest against Barry in the dying seconds of the 2006 GF. Same as Embley. Embers is falling apart but without him in that GF.

I still have hopes for Shuey, Shepperd and Hutchings.

To the poster who said Selwood was rated our best by the coaches, id have Mckenzie, Brown, Kennedy and Hill in front.

He had 9 disposals either hand passes or short kicks that were totally ineffective. So his 20 effective disposals includes some ineffective long kicks.

His disposal by foot has gone backwards a lot this year, not kicking through the ball, not kicking to advantage, lots of air time on his kicks.

He had 9 disposals either hand passes or short kicks that were totally ineffective. So his 20 effective disposals includes some ineffective long kicks.
It's probably worth noting that ineffective disposals are not neccessarily to the detriment of the team. An ineffective disposal might still lead to possession or gaining ground. There are also situations where their is no real alternative but to rush or blindly dispose. A player's ability to present may also cause a decent kick to become 'ineffective'.

Not suggesting this was the case for Scooter but it's pretty dangerous putting so much stock in raw statistics.

It's probably worth noting that ineffective disposals are not neccessarily to the detriment of the team. An ineffective disposal might still lead to possession or gaining ground. There are also situations where their is no real alternative but to rush or blindly dispose. A player's ability to present may also cause a decent kick to become 'ineffective'.

Not suggesting this was the case for Scooter but it's pretty dangerous putting so much stock in raw statistics.

Sure. I was just making sure that the difference is noted as well as pointing out the black hole in those statistics.

It's like NM against us an Adelaide - the poor bugger at the back kicking out didn't commit an ineffective disposal because it came back at him - that was the team's best option for him to take because no one presented for an alternative.

We tend to not forgive players enough when they are taking the lesser devil of the available options.

Not only are you laying into Scott, but Rowan too?

Scott is a great player who will become a club legend in time.

As for Rowan, you should be ashamed for taking The Lord's name in vain.
I honestly reckon Scott will just be an average player and shouldn't be relied on, in a more ideal world he should a fringe player but isn't because we have no one pushing him out, If he was playing for Hawthorn he probably wouldn't be playing- that's what I'm saying

I honestly reckon Scott will just be an average player and shouldn't be relied on, in a more ideal world he should a fringe player but isn't because we have no one pushing him out, If he was playing for Hawthorn he probably wouldn't be playing- that's what I'm saying

At Hathorn he'd be competing against Sheils.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back