Selling Home Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
I was looking through the fixture (and correct me if I’m wrong) but Melbourne only travel interstate 3 times as the away team (2 times to the NT)

If teams sell home games interstate should they travel fewer than 5 times for away games interstate? Hawthorn sell 4 games to Tasmania yet still will travel 5 times interstate as the away team next year (9 in total). Why has Melbourne been gifted games in Melbourne?

What are people’s thoughts?

No we should have more interstate games as the away team. However we should also have more friday night games, more home games against bigger clubs and fewer home games against teams like The Gold Coast and GWS every single year.

Swings and roundabouts of the fixture. If the AFL wants to start giving us better timeslots and fewer home games against expansion sides I'll happily stop selling home games and take a few more interstate games.

3 interstate games is far too few. And no, home games sold willingly for $$ definitely don't count. The $$$ gained is enough of an advantage without getting fewer real away games alongside

And given my team has several long haul trips this year (Darwin, 2x Queensland, Tasmania) to top off an already hectic schedule , this news (that teams who don't have to travel much anyway are being looked after just because they opted to earn some $$ by selling home games) seems like a big slap in the face.

4 needs to be the bare minimum
Every team needs to travel to one of the other 4 states with football teams at least once.

Wow, just saw their fixture.
Please tell me Melbourne fans are complaining about back-to-back away games to GWS and Adelaide in rd 2-3.
Would be hilarious.

No we should have more interstate games as the away team. However we should also have more friday night games, more home games against bigger clubs and fewer home games against teams like The Gold Coast and GWS every single year.

Swings and roundabouts of the fixture. If the AFL wants to start giving us better timeslots and fewer home games against expansion sides I'll happily stop selling home games and take a few more interstate games.

Pretty sure that being forced to watch Melbourne because there aren't any other matches on would qualify as a human rights abuse.

But seriously how much does the AFL need to look after the Dees? Out of 22 matches only 3 are away interstate games, and they get more games than any other club at their home ground excluding Collingwood despite selling off 2 home games :drunk:

4 needs to be the bare minimum
Every team needs to travel to one of the other 4 states with football teams at least once.
We haven't been drawn to play in Sydney for a couple of years (Sydney in Sydney has been ages , something like 5+ years)
I'd happily trade away Darwin, Tassie or one of the 2x Queensland trips for a slightly shorter (and direct!) flight to Sydney. I feel bad for NSW fans.
On the flipside, we do have 2 trips to Adelaide :). Hoping to make to at least one of them, if not both. The Adelaide game last year was amazing!

I am sure Dees fans would be happier to travel more if they had more home games against big-drawing teams like Carlton, Essendon, Richmond etc.

Every year the fixture hurts Melbourne financially (dud home games against Tinpot clubs like GWS and St Kilda etc) and also crappy/undesirable timeslots IE Twilight games.

OP's whinge is misguided and ill-informed, the Dees have been shafted again (in terms of home games and who they double up against)

I was looking through the fixture (and correct me if I’m wrong) but Melbourne only travel interstate 3 times as the away team (2 times to the NT)

If teams sell home games interstate should they travel fewer than 5 times for away games interstate? Hawthorn sell 4 games to Tasmania yet still will travel 5 times interstate as the away team next year (9 in total). Why has Melbourne been gifted games in Melbourne?

We have a Geelong game as well. You ever had one of them? It should be 4 plus Geelong or 5 for every Melbourne based club.

But instead maybe the AFL have given us a small break for taking the game to Alice Springs and Darwin.

It's not like they gave us 6 Friday night and a Thursday night game. They are reserved for you (and Carl and Richmond)

Nor have they given us home games against our co-tenants at the MCG besides QB'day. You play us, Hawthorn, Richmond all as the home team. Plus Essendon and Carlton for good measure.

The combined earnings of those 5 games is massive. So much so that we wouldn't have to sell any games. For which I'd then gladly play 5 interstate games.

Feel free to write to the AFL and protest and ask to swap fixtures.

As per the thread on the Melbourne board:

Home Game @MCG:

Gold Coast
Fremantle
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
Brisbane
St Kilda
North Melbourne

Glad I'm a member - might not be able to get a seat, otherwise.

Let's be honest. The fixture is a blight on our game. It is unequal in so many ways that it's almost not even worth talking about. I am of the opinion that should Melbourne sell home games, as it does, it should need to travel no less than if it didn't sell those games. But really, when you look at our fixture from a commercial point of view, it's less than sub-par. And that is partially why we have to sell those home games in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a Geelong game as well. You ever had one of them? It should be 4 plus Geelong or 5 for every Melbourne based club.

But instead maybe the AFL have given us a small break for taking the game to Alice Springs and Darwin.

It's not like they gave us 6 Friday night and a Thursday night game. They are reserved for you (and Carl and Richmond)

Nor have they given us home games against our co-tenants at the MCG besides QB'day. You play us, Hawthorn, Richmond all as the home team. Plus Essendon and Carlton for good measure.

The combined earnings of those 5 games is massive. So much so that we wouldn't have to sell any games. For which I'd then gladly play 5 interstate games.

Feel free to write to the AFL and protest and ask to swap fixtures.

I like how you’ve almost totally overlook the main point of this thread. Well done you must feel proud of yourself to have filled your daily complain about Collingwood quota.

Last time I checked Geelong was in Victoria, did I and the rest of the footy world miss it moving states? I’m all for us playing in Geelong but I’m not sure the AFL and Geelong would like that.

Pretty sure that being forced to watch Melbourne because there aren't any other matches on would qualify as a human rights abuse.

But seriously how much does the AFL need to look after the Dees? Out of 22 matches only 3 are away interstate games, and they get more games than any other club at their home ground excluding Collingwood despite selling off 2 home games :drunk:
Counting not your strong suit?

MCG games:
Collingwood - 14
Richmond - 14
Melbourne - 13
Hawthorn - 9

All 4 clubs are forced to host one game at Etihad.

Come on, it is Melbourne you are talking about.....

Fair question you ask, nevertheless!

Come on, it is Melbourne you are talking about.....

Fair question you ask, nevertheless!

Thanks, I mean I like to think I’m fairly open minded when it comes to AFL (I try to take the Collingwood glasses off as much as possible), but if this happened to us there would be a huge uproar.

Cheers to all the people chiming in with the ‘Collingwood never travel’ & ‘The AFL always look after Collingwood’ posts. This thread wouldn’t be the same without you guys! :thumbsu:

I like how you’ve almost totally overlook the main point of this thread. Well done you must feel proud of yourself to have filled your daily complain about Collingwood quota.

Last time I checked Geelong was in Victoria, did I and the rest of the footy world miss it moving states? I’m all for us playing in Geelong but I’m not sure the AFL and Geelong would like that.
The main point of the thread is you whinging about some aspect of the draw, probably trying to deflect from the fact that Collingwood get a plum draw every year.

I would guess that most interstate supporters couldn't care less that Melbourne get 3 interstate games. It's not really influencing their ability to win the flag.

Continued massive financial advantages to a select number of Victorian teams does influence the chances of the other teams to win a flag.

Geelong is, and should, be used as the tiebreaker for travelling trips. Sure a select number of fans can get there and the hours drive is easier than a flight. But it's also a significant home advantage. I'd rather we play in Adelaide or Sydney any day of the week.

But back to my point in that travel is such a non factor for Victorian clubs. The only issue is travel to WA as the longer flight and time zones, along with weather, can create havoc for the week and for the other weeks. We have a WA trip. Plus a SA and Canberra trip. The AFL let us off going to QLD in return for selling 2 games in to NT. Wow, what a solid that is for us. In return we also get the worst financial line ups of home games ever seen.

Thanks, I mean I like to think I’m fairly open minded when it comes to AFL (I try to take the Collingwood glasses off as much as possible), but if this happened to us there would be a huge uproar.
Get a financial fixture that requires you to sell 2 homes games to the NT just to break even and then lets see if anyone cares.

You had one Sunday night experience last year and your President wanted compensation from the AFL.

The fat campaigner would have a heart attack if he was lumped with Melbourne's fixture.

But perhaps fewer than 13 games at the MCG?

I am sure Dees fans would be happier to travel more if they had more home games against big-drawing teams like Carlton, Essendon, Richmond etc.

Every year the fixture hurts Melbourne financially (dud home games against Tinpot clubs like GWS and St Kilda etc) and also crappy/undesirable timeslots IE Twilight games.

OP's whinge is misguided and ill-informed, the Dees have been shafted again (in terms of home games and who they double up against)

Probably just as well - take out those 'dud' home games against non-Vic teams and Melbourne's W/L record over the past 5 years would look even more dire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back