Shannon Byrnes to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 10 news reporting that we have offered a 2 year deal to Shannon Byrnes tonight... I hope it is the case as it would be trading to fill a need - we don't have a small forward. Blease is better on a wing and Neville the Jet needs time and needs to be kept in the play or he goes missing...

Channel 10 news reporting that we have offered a 2 year deal to Shannon Byrnes tonight... I hope it is the case as it would be trading to fill a need - we don't have a small forward. Blease is better on a wing and Neville the Jet needs time and needs to be kept in the play or he goes missing...

Neville the Jet will be lucky to be on the list next year.

Not sure about that, Neeld rates Jetta IMO.

I think one of the issues with Jetta is that he has been lumped in the small forward category by a lot of people, but I don't think that is his position and I don't think that's why we recruited him, he is a midfielder / flanker, not a goal sneak. Doesn't mean he will stay at the club of course, but I don't think his position will be weighed against other small forwards we add to the list. I think Neeld see's Jetta playing some kind of role around the the stoppages.

Jetta will be there next year. Neeld loves him, so do I. He is the best tackler at the club, applies more pressure and has a better work ethic than majority of the players. He played a couple of games late in the year after being out with a long term injury, and your basing his ability based on those games? Neeld rates him highly or he wouldn't have played any games in the seniors coming back from the severity of his injury.

Jetta will be there next year. Neeld loves him, so do I. He is the best tackler at the club, applies more pressure and has a better work ethic than majority of the players. He played a couple of games late in the year after being out with a long term injury, and your basing his ability based on those games? Neeld rates him highly or he wouldn't have played any games in the seniors coming back from the severity of his injury.

Neville the Jet is too easily pushed off the ball. IMO

Best tackler at the club? Jordie McKenzie says hello.

Like the fact that we are chasing Byrnes. We can't afford to be picky here as he is the sort of player who brings experience and leadership to a club that needs it. He has been playing at an elite club with an excellent culture and he can bring that with him also. He will be on not much money, we get him for free and he can support the younger players as they come through.

Best tackler at the club? Jordie McKenzie says hello.

Like the fact that we are chasing Byrnes. We can't afford to be picky here as he is the sort of player who brings experience and leadership to a club that needs it. He has been playing at an elite club with an excellent culture and he can bring that with him also. He will be on not much money, we get him for free and he can support the younger players as they come through.

What do Chris Heffernan, Stephen Powell, Peter Vardy, Phillip Read and Byron Pickett all have in common?

What do Chris Heffernan, Stephen Powell, Peter Vardy, Phillip Read and Byron Pickett all have in common?
Not a lot really. :) Powell had an epic season for us and Pickett brought some physical presence though. Oh and and Philthy got a certain senior poster here very excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen Powell was a gun before the injuries. Peter Vardy had a couple of excellent seasons for the club before injuries cut him down. Read filled a need, brought toughness, did what was asked of him. And while we gave up far too much for him Choppy Pickett's season in 05 was superb. Just a shame there wasn't more in him. Heffernan was s**t, no argument.

If we can get some decent football out of Byrnes for a few years, and we get him for nothing, then I see no problem with it.

Why is Stephen Powell (one of the all time great picks ups) mentioned in the same thread as Shannon Byrnes?

Chris Heffernan for Shane Woewodin, im still wondering how we managed to lose a trade that involved us shipping a Brownlow medalist who did sweet fa for the rest of his career.
Incorrect. We basically got Heffernan for nothing as the Bombers were doing a fire sale. I'm pretty sure we just exchanged 1st round picks.

Incorrect. We basically got Heffernan for nothing as the Bombers were doing a fire sale. I'm pretty sure we just exchanged 1st round picks.

Correct. Melbourne traded their pick 12 for Heffernan and Essendon's pick 17. He was delisted by us a few years later.

Correct. Melbourne traded their pick 12 for Heffernan and Essendon's pick 17. He was delisted by us a few years later.

Spot on. He was never the same player once he left Essendon. Who did we end up getting with that Pick #17? I remember that we took Daniel Bell with the pick we got for Woewodin, but can't remember who we got with Pick #17 in the Heffernan deal.

Edit - we took 426 in that draft after we got Daniel Bell. What a ripper that turned out to be...

Spot on. He was never the same player once he left Essendon. Who did we end up getting with that Pick #17? I remember that we took Daniel Bell with the pick we got for Woewodin, but can't remember who we got with Pick #17 in the Heffernan deal.

Edit - we took 426 in that draft after we got Daniel Bell. What a ripper that turned out to be...
Nick Smith:(

They were listed together in a post nobody understands the point of?

Am I mad, or do I have memories of Heffernan giving us one good season? I know his last one was no good, but I'm sure he played a decent season one year.

Am I mad, or do I have memories of Heffernan giving us one good season? I know his last one was no good, but I'm sure he played a decent season one year.
His gave us a semi useful season. Pretty much mailed it in once we got him.

In essence it is correct.

We traded Woewodin (and pick 12, who did Essendon pick up with that pick?) for Heffernan, Bell and Smith.

We lost that trade. :oops: 3 ubber duds for a player who was past his best but still contributed.

In essence it is correct.

We traded Woewodin (and pick 12, who did Essendon pick up with that pick?) for Heffernan, Bell and Smith.

We lost that trade. :oops: 3 ubber duds for a player who was past his best but still contributed.
Pick 12 became pick 10 after Carlton were stripped of their Picks 1 and 2. Essendon picked up Jason Laycock. Looks like all 3 clubs lost that trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back