News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

So should get some news on whether the council will cough up the remaining 6 mil tonight. Pretty sure tonight's the night they have their votes at the council meeting.

giphy.gif

This whole Kardinia Park Trust thing is moronic and what is causing all the problems. Lets keep politicians out of footy. Like to ruin everything again.

This whole Kardinia Park Trust thing is moronic and what is causing all the problems. Lets keep politicians out of footy. Like to ruin everything again.

I don't know if that is the case, I think they are needed to gain more access to the stadium for other events, more so, to gain more $$ to upgrade the
stadium and show the stakeholders i.e. Geelong Council, of the reason why they are investing in it. Likewise, the people of Geelong that don't support
the Cats but who pay rates which goes towards this stadium (or the perception of that at least).

The stadium needs all the support it can to gain that exposure, and I think pollies do have a lot of clout in that area that a private industry would not.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the council and the naysayers need to be told in no uncertain terms how crucial a thriving football club is to the town. Having a circus clown as Mayor doesn't help.

On another disappointing note.

GEELONG is spiralling towards a $1 million operating loss this year after copping another financial hit because of a poor “home” crowd at the MCG on Friday night.

Source: The Geelong Advertiser.

Stage 4 confirmed for this year start:
Stage four of the Simonds Stadium redevelopment is on track to commence this year after the City of Greater Geelong agreed to an amended $6 million contribution to the project.

The council voted last week to support the project, but a number of conditions attached to the funding were unacceptable. The council met again on Tuesday night and addressed those issues to ensure the redevelopment will go ahead in 2016.

The council's contribution comes in addition to a $75 million commitment from the state government, $4 million from the Geelong Football Club and $4 million from the AFL.

"This is a significant and positive decision by the council that will bring a significant economic and social benefit to the region," Geelong CEO Brian Cook said
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-09-01/stage-four-gets-green-light

We make 750-1mil per full stadium anyway so it's more about getting 11 games there IMO.
At least 9-10, could see us getting a 17 games every 2 years type deal (obviously 8 one year than 9 the next)

Obviously the AFL see the benefit in it too, which is obviously encouraging.

That's why I think owing the Thursday night is our best chance to do that.

Very random and not particularly relevant (sorry mods), but does anyone remember maybe 15 years ago there was an idea to buy Waverly Stadiums lights? Does anyone know how far that idea got?

Great news to see the redevelopment go ahead, even if the next stage takes 10 years it's a fantastic achievement. I just hope we get it to above 40,000 for our long term viability. Next thing to tick off is a second training base now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back