Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (6) released 23/4

Long Term (1) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (4) :
• R13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 6 weeks (Was TBC)
• R12-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 5-7 weeks (Was 6-8 weeks)
• R11-13 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (Was 5-6 weeks)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (0) :

Test (1) :
• R7 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1 week)

You mean a concussion, an old bloke hyperextending his knee and an Achilles blowout to an another player who's perma-injured?
Yes 2 of those are surface related. Optus isn’t great either.

In any case why not discuss Eagles training related injuries. Why pigeon hole one single game ?

Here’s something I’ll try do. Eagles vs Collingwood training ground injuries in last 24 months. I’ll try research to compare numbers

Will you accept the results though or do you have an excuse ready for whatever the result is ?

CoPilotChat reports:

Research has explored the impact of long-distance air travel on sporting performance. Here are some key findings:

1. Dehydration Risk:
  2. Travel Fatigue and Jet Lag:
  3. Effects on Athletic Performance:
  4. Jump Performance and Neuromuscular Control:
In summary, while travel fatigue and jet lag can impact athletes, strategies for managing these effects are essential. Pre-flight, during-flight, and post-flight interventions can help mitigate the challenges posed by long-distance air trav

In any case why not discuss Eagles training related injuries. Why pigeon hole one single game ?

Here’s something I’ll try do. Eagles vs Collingwood training ground injuries in last 24 months. I’ll try research to compare numbers

Will you accept the results though or do you have an excuse ready for whatever the result is ?
Hyperextending your knee landing awkwardly is related to the hardness of Optus?

Just because Collingwood have fewer training ground injuries than West Coast doesn’t automatically mean the injuries are due to the surface and/or facility. Maybe it is an issue but without knowing ALL of the factors behind an injury we have no way of knowing with any certainty

However, to think that the club hasn’t thoroughly investigated why we are getting so many inquiries is a nonsense. It’s the single biggest issue (not the only issue but the biggest) impacting on field results and by extension the clubs bottom line

You’ve got a bee in your bonnet on the inadequacies of surface/facility and some conspiracy theory that it’s being covered up by the club to protect individuals.

If some random poster on an internet forum knows this to be true, then I struggle to believe that it isn’t also known within the media within WA and further afar. It’d be a big scoop for them so it’s doubtful they’re all sitting on it

But you keep banging that drum

Just because Collingwood have fewer training ground injuries than West Coast doesn’t automatically mean the injuries are due to the surface and/or facility. Maybe it is an issue but without knowing ALL of the factors behind an injury we have no way of knowing with any certainty

However, to think that the club hasn’t thoroughly investigated why we are getting so many inquiries is a nonsense. It’s the single biggest issue (not the only issue but the biggest) impacting on field results and by extension the clubs bottom line

You’ve got a bee in your bonnet on the inadequacies of surface/facility and some conspiracy theory that it’s being covered up by the club to protect individuals.

If some random poster on an internet forum knows this to be true, then I struggle to believe that it isn’t also known within the media within WA and further afar. It’d be a big scoop for them so it’s doubtful they’re all sitting on it

But you keep banging that drum
What is the comparison to make? Nothing will paint a positive picture so tell me what picture to paint and I’ll show the links

It has been mentioned in the media. You just said so. We just haven’t had daily articles about it and a lot of it is because no information is forthcoming publically.

I can say what I want here. If Ryan Daniels says players are privately telling him the training facilities are a disgrace , what happens to all involved then ?

Silence isn’t acceptance I’m afraid.

I’ve never and I mean ever said the club isn’t properly investigating them issues. They know the issues, they just won’t fix them. What I’m suggesting is much more we then incompetence, this is just a complete failure of responsibility and desire to accept any blame

Yeah it’s better now but when it was 40 odd it was burnt to a crisp.

A ton of issues we are all saying is the club isn’t transparent about this so asking for the transparent information and proof is a bit of a double edged sword. The club withhold this information. The only information we have publically is Don admitting we are testing the surface and what not. A lot of the criticism beyond that is merely what staff and players say out loud to people .

Only person who I’ve seen publicly comment on it is Elliot Yeo. Rest just isn’t told

One aspect of it really is. If the surface has no issues why is the club admitting to testing it ?
So from all of that all I can conclude is that you believe that the ground is too hard and our facilities are poor due to the club testing the hardness of the ground or that visually it looked burnt to a crisp on a 40 degree day.

One player publicly commenting on it (Yeo) which I haven’t heard of before, I’ll take it that you are correct on this.
Also maybe some criticism from staff and players but again is very vague in detail.

Surely you can see why some are sceptical about this issue.

So from all of that all I can conclude is that you believe that the ground is too hard and our facilities are poor due to the club testing the hardness of the ground or that visually it looked burnt to a crisp on a 40 degree day.

One player publicly commenting on it (Yeo) which I haven’t heard of before, I’ll take it that you are correct on this.
Also maybe some criticism from staff and players but again is very vague in detail.

Surely you can see why some are sceptical about this issue.

Well that and the fact we have more training ground injuries then nearly the entire competition combined in the last 12 months.

Like some times the results gotta matter don’t they?

Do you think it’s bad luck? Do you think it was 100 percent the coaches fault. Is it cos all our players are cursed ? Gotta pick something here, what do you think it is if you are certain what it isn’t

Well that and the fact we have more training ground injuries then nearly the entire competition combined in the last 12 months.
Do we though?

Correlation doesn't always = causation.

List was very healthy until the derby last year, then club had to keep bringing in underdone players simply to field a team.

Do we though?

Correlation doesn't always = causation.

List was very healthy until the derby last year, then club had to keep bringing in underdone players simply to field a team.
Correlation and causation don’t always match but when the club is investigating the correlation and the correlation is lasting for years on end, it’s probably time to push towards the fact it’s part of the causation here .

I don’t necessarily agree with that but I can see why you hold concerns, if the announcement was handled poorly it could reflect on badly on past administration.

Correct. And it also would potentially reflect poorly on people still there who were not responsible. Maybe some did not raise or failed to continue raising concerns to the those who were in charge.

As a new boss if you walk in a start pointing fingers and shooting from the hip overly critical of mistakes the culture will get worse. We would go from one dictator style leader to another.

A hell of a lot has been changed. And likely more things will need to in the appropriate time and way. We can't go and dig up the ground and relay the surface during the season and it would be too soon after Pyke's arrival for him to make that call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. And it also would potentially reflect poorly on people still there who were not responsible. Maybe some did not raise or failed to continue raising concerns to the those who were in charge.

As a new boss if you walk in a start pointing fingers and shooting from the hip overly critical of mistakes the culture will get worse. We would go from one dictator style leader to another.

A hell of a lot has been changed. And likely more things will need to in the appropriate time and way. We can't go and dig up the ground and relay the surface during the season and it would be too soon after Pyke's arrival for him to make that call.
In a way this is politically correct and makes sense but when you are in the hole we are in, can you really be delaying the inevitable, can you actually not take a dictator approach? One more season of the WAFL situation will be catastrophic so we can’t sit and watch for example and be in a too soon mindset. Pyke and co need to be acting swiftly and throwing our resources around.

We can’t afford to do nothing and drop further behind. We need to act now

In a way this is politically correct and makes sense but when you are in the hole we are in, can you really be delaying the inevitable, can you actually not take a dictator approach? One more season of the WAFL situation will be catastrophic so we can’t sit and watch for example and be in a too soon mindset. Pyke and co need to be acting swiftly and throwing our resources around.

We can’t afford to do nothing and drop further behind. We need to act now

The club has acted and made dozens of changes. They have been listed several times but you just ignore all that.

More changes to come too I would guarantee. In good time.

As for acting now. I agree. I'm now putting you back on ignore. Did that before then forgot why. Now you've reminded me. :huh:

Travel absolutely is an issue and it can be mitigated to an extent with innovations such as you’re suggesting. Rather than three games over two weeks I’d think two games over six days. (And the same for a team coming to Perth.)

If you work out how many nights away with that model compared with what occurs now it’s not so different.
We’re talking about a big money organisation. Preserving the most important asset - the players - should be paramount. Playing two games away makes it a FIFO arrangement which is not an uncommon work setup.

I’m surprised there has been no research on travelling. I can understand the AFL may be reluctant - because it may show that WA teams suffer a disadvantage - but I cannot understand why we wouldn’t initiate it.

And it may not only be the actual travel that is researched, but, for example, is there a systemic bias where non-WA players are reluctant to move to WA due to the distance? Etc.
Here is a new concept.

We have the current baseline for team list and salary cap. What if the amount of travel was used to add list spots and subsequent salary cap space.

Might be something like for every 10,000 over the average (~25,000) you get an extra list spot and cap.
Based on 2023 would be
-3 for WCE (57000)
-2 for Freo(51000) & GC (54000)
-1 for PA (35000 & Bris (32000)
- anyone under 15000 should loose one but will let that one go.

Each year draw is announced, get calculator out and adjust list spots and clubs recruit via supplementary player process.
Might make Vic clubs put hand up for additional travel if they get extra list spot!!

1710911594552.png

The club has acted and made dozens of changes. They have been listed several times but you just ignore all that.

More changes to come too I would guarantee. In good time.

As for acting now. I agree. I'm now putting you back on ignore. Did that before then forgot why. Now you've reminded me. :huh:
Running away from the criticism wont make your opinion more justified. Will be the exact opposite

Our changes, well they are too small and minimal.

You are acting like these are massive mind altering changes when they simply are not.

I mean they are failing in real time and you are not acknowledging it other then to say "well we are making changes" . Our pre season has been atrocious once again post changes and apparently its okay and we should just wait?

Like what do you want us to wait for here?

Like some times the results gotta matter don’t they?

Do you think it’s bad luck? Do you think it was 100 percent the coaches fault. Is it cos all our players are cursed ? Gotta pick something here, what do you think it is if you are certain what it isn’t
I don’t think I need to pick anything in particular.

I’m in business and in our industry we use terms such as “snake oil”or “silver bullet”.
Those terms are generally used when a salesman try’s to sell you a product that will give you amazing results and increase profitability and productivity. It’s a one fix for all of your problems.
“ it’s the hardness of our training ground and poor facilities”

If I was looking at our injury woes over the last few years I’d ask are we performing well in these key areas

S&C performance?
Medical performance?
Player fitness and professionalism?
Travel methods and rehabilitation after travel?
Rehabilitation after home games and training?
Training & coaching methods?
Facilities?
Age of List?
Recruiting(players with injury history ect)?
Bad Luck?

I’d then ask if anyone wants to add to that list and if I’ve missed anything?

Why just focus on the hardness of the ground or our poor facilities is my point especially when there isn’t from what I’m seeing overwhelming evidence to suggest it’s the single issue.

I’m not saying your wrong, I have no evidence to say you are but you certainly haven’t convinced me you are right either.

I’m not here for an argument over leadership styles OB and I do get your point. I’ll happily move on 👍🏻

I don’t think I need to pick anything in particular.

I’m in business and in our industry we use terms such as “snake oil”or “silver bullet”.
Those terms are generally used when a salesman try’s to sell you a product that will give you amazing results and increase profitability and productivity. It’s a one fix for all of your problems.
“ it’s the hardness of our training ground and poor facilities”

If I was looking at our injury woes over the last few years I’d ask are we performing well in these key areas

S&C performance?
Medical performance?
Player fitness and professionalism?
Travel methods and rehabilitation after travel?
Rehabilitation after home games and training?
Training & coaching methods?
Facilities?
Age of List?
Recruiting(players with injury history ect)?
Bad Luck?

I’d then ask if anyone wants to add to that list and if I’ve missed anything?

Why just focus on the hardness of the ground or our poor facilities is my point especially when there isn’t from what I’m seeing overwhelming evidence to suggest it’s the single issue.

I’m not saying your wrong, I have no evidence to say you are but you certainly haven’t convinced me you are right either.
Its poor facilities, not just hardness of the surface. Thats 1 of a few aspects. Id say 3 aspects are

1. Poor surface
2. Poor rehabiliation facilties
3. Poor training and coaching methods (1 overall issue)

Now I think we need to fix all 3 myself. I dont think its a case of fixing 1 at a time or fixing 1 and then hoping the other 2 disappear. If you have all these things going on like you say, then why not fix them all? So far we have part picked on these and left out the facilities altogether (unless you know of some facilities updates we have made) .

If im looking at our injury woes im making multiple changes, and im making them across the board. Im not cherrypicking 1 or 2 ideas and praying they work like we are doing right now

Its poor facilities, not just hardness of the surface. Thats 1 of a few aspects. Id say 3 aspects are

1. Poor surface

Now I think we need to fix all 3 myself. I dont think its a case of fixing 1 at a time or fixing 1 and then hoping the other 2 disappear. If you have all these things going on like you say, then why not fix them all? So far we have part picked on these and left out the facilities altogether (unless you know of some facilities updates we have made) .

If im looking at our injury woes im making multiple changes, and im making them across the board. Im not cherrypicking 1 or 2 ideas and praying they work like we are doing right now
So now it’s also Poor training and Coaching methods, pretty broad statement again.
Look you’re entitled to an opinion I just don’t know how many are going to agree with you if anyone at all.

You are either right and everyone else is wrong or………….

1. Poor surface

Just nuts.

So now it’s also Poor training and Coaching methods, pretty broad statement again.
Look you’re entitled to an opinion I just don’t know how many are going to agree with you if anyone at all.

You are either right and everyone else is wrong or………….
In all honesty time will be the judge.

When we finally bite the bullet and make sweeping changes to our training dumpster fire I’ll come back for my accolades :D

Oscar Allen hasn’t played at Optus this year yet but has a knee issue. Is that from previously playing at Optus?
The biggest issue that has impacted Oscar Allen has been the lack of foresight in playing him in the ruck way too early. Have we not learnt from what happened with Josh Frazer? I suspect little if any of Oscar's injury is due to Optus.

What a surprise that in 2019 we had an undersized KPF who thrown into rucking duties in his second years and is now suffering from stress injuries in his body!!!

The temptation will be to throw Barnett into the ruck and move Williams to the KPF role. Is Harry ready? If not, just put up with Jamieson as our main ruck and and if need we play Jack Williams as the second ruck. Less worried about Jack as I doubt he will make it long term. It will be tempting to get a WAFL battering ram mid year if Flynn is lagging in recovery..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back