Opinion So how do you get grand final tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Having said that there were plenty of non-member bandwagoners who went to last years preliminary final at the expense of my mum (been to every single home game since mid-2003) who missed out on tickets.
How could she possibly miss out on a Preliminary Final ticket if she has a membership? Surely if she got online within a few hours after they went on sale you could've got some sort of seat even if it wasn't very good.

Did you only get it this year? If so, it goes against what their website says...

http://membership.fremantlefc.com.au/got-a-question

gfupgrade.png
I had mine in 2013 as well so that probably explains why. I haven't been paying much attention to the issue apart from the fact I received an email saying I got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first few years I lived in SA I had interstate membership, wasn't really worth it.
Coughed up $1800 for a gold package (NM breakfast). Sat edge of centre square lower level. Took my 2 1/2 year old son to first AfL game.
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Hopefully this year.

If you've been a member for a long time and waited for us to be this consistent then there really is no excuse for not buying a GF upgrade on your membership.

Applied for it this year. Didn't get it.

Did you only get it this year? If so, it goes against what their website says...

http://membership.fremantlefc.com.au/got-a-question

gfupgrade.png

I think it is bullshit actually. I have my upgrade so I am set, and now, there is NO WAY IN HELL i am giving up the upgrade. It is such a small price on the total cost of membership, when we are in our premiership window.

But that means that there will be more like me who just say "nup, mine". So some people will just struggle to get one. It almost becomes two tiers of membership, this WITH, and those W/O.

On a separate note, i really feel for the guys I sit with. They have been members for years, and had bought the GF upgrade for the last few years.

They booked a holiday (to Europe i think) in 2013, and it meant that they were going to miss the GF. they took that risk, but they still had the upgrade. GF rolled around, they opted not to use them and put their rights to a ticket back into the ballot, and had their holiday.

When it came to 2014, they were not given the GF upgrade automatically because they didnt use the tickets in 2013. When they called the club, they were told they lost their rights to them, and now he cant get a GF upgrade, unless others drop out. That's just BS from the club. Unfair.

I think it is bullshit actually. I have my upgrade so I am set, and now, there is NO WAY IN HELL i am giving up the upgrade. It is such a small price on the total cost of membership, when we are in our premiership window.

But that means that there will be more like me who just say "nup, mine". So some people will just struggle to get one. It almost becomes two tiers of membership, this WITH, and those W/O.

On a separate note, i really feel for the guys I sit with. They have been members for years, and had bought the GF upgrade for the last few years.

They booked a holiday (to Europe i think) in 2013, and it meant that they were going to miss the GF. they took that risk, but they still had the upgrade. GF rolled around, they opted not to use them and put their rights to a ticket back into the ballot, and had their holiday.

When it came to 2014, they were not given the GF upgrade automatically because they didnt use the tickets in 2013. When they called the club, they were told they lost their rights to them, and now he cant get a GF upgrade, unless others drop out. That's just BS from the club. Unfair.

That's very unfortunate about the people you sit with - I guess the club just set a policy which is fair enough for 90% of people but some good people who've done the right thing miss out...

The upgrade at $30 is an auto-renewal for everyone, but it'll be interesting to see if they raise it up to the $100 (or was it $200?) that Geelong were charging. People will also drop off that inevitable day we're no longer in the hunt, though hopefully that shouldn't be until they complete the new stadium and the entire membership base gets restructured.

Luckily I think the majority of people who hold upgrades are die hard fans at the moment. There were still some available when I purchased mine after a few rounds last year so the opportunity was certainly there! Not to say that genuine fans haven't missed out, of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how many out of the 14k allocated GF tickets is taken up in upgrades?
It was supposed to be a maximum of 6000, but I think it ended up around 6800 for some reason.

I bought my upgrade in the 2012 season and I've renewed it ever since. I booked my flights and accommodation this week and while it was quite expensive I'm better off getting in now rather than GF week when everything is twice as expensive.

My flights and accommodation can be canceled/rescheduled if we don't make it. A work colleague of mine last year booked everything in Prelim week and it cost him big $$$.

I bought my upgrade in the 2012 season and I've renewed it ever since. I booked my flights and accommodation this week and while it was quite expensive I'm better off getting in now rather than GF week when everything is twice as expensive.

My flights and accommodation can be canceled/rescheduled if we don't make it. A work colleague of mine last year booked everything in Prelim week and it cost him big $$$.

I do the same thing mate. While we are in the hunt, I book flights and accommodation at the start of the year on fully refundable prices. If we don't make it it's easy fixed but if we do I won't be stuck. Especially this tear no one really has an excuse to say they left It too late. We made a GF last year there is good odds we would be able to do it again. Prices will go up week by week from here drastically

I'm going to put in a deposit for a charter flight which the Sirens group are organising, not the cheapest, but will work out to be cheaper than booking after the prelim.

Might just crash into the brothers house for the three nights there or book a cheap hostel.

Will be picking up tix from the ground, no way in hell am I carrying them with me before the game.

Sent from the bar.

There were a few tickets available last year, if you happened to be in Melbourne. A mate of mine got a ticket through other Freo members who had got tickets in the ballot but someone couldn't get flights.

I bought 5 upgrades in 06 @$5/membership! I dropped 3 when the price hit $30/upgrade membership in 09, and if I hadn't just landed a high paying job, this years Melbourne trip would've been in some doubt. As it is, it isn't! :cool:

There were a few tickets available last year, if you happened to be in Melbourne. A mate of mine got a ticket through other Freo members who had got tickets in the ballot but someone couldn't get flights.

Can vouch for this as I was able to get a ticket off a very kind person who I'm grateful to.

I do the same thing mate. While we are in the hunt, I book flights and accommodation at the start of the year on fully refundable prices. If we don't make it it's easy fixed but if we do I won't be stuck. Especially this tear no one really has an excuse to say they left It too late. We made a GF last year there is good odds we would be able to do it again. Prices will go up week by week from here drastically
The airfares from Perth for GF week were bumped up as soon as the GF ended last year. Some are still well over $1000 each way if you want anything flexible.

The airfares from Perth for GF week were bumped up as soon as the GF ended last year. Some are still well over $1000 each way if you want anything flexible.

Yep, but you can get it for around $300 or less each way if you look around and wait for good prices! But not flexible of course!

Yep, but you can get it for around $300 or less each way if you look around and wait for good prices! But not flexible of course!

In situations like these I like to use my FF points. I had to go via Brisbane there and via Sydney back, but if we don't make it'll only cost me a few thousand points in cancellation fees.

In situations like these I like to use my FF points. I had to go via Brisbane there and via Sydney back, but if we don't make it'll only cost me a few thousand points in cancellation fees.

Did you fly back on the Sunday? We went via Sydney too and the airport smelled like a sewerage main had burst somewhere.

Wasn't particularly pleasant in my hungover state after drowning my sorrows until the wee hours the night before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back