Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has something to do with a trademark or restrictions. Which basically comes from a mentality of "this is a special emblem, it's reserved for special occasions." I guess a parallel would be how you could only ever get a Big V jumper if you actually represented Victoria. Or a baggy green if you played for the Australian cricket team. Which is fair enough, I actually really like the idea.

Well at least they don't have a giant soccer all on there anymore

Why white socks ? Also why can't supporters buy the same coat of arms that's on the players jersey when they purchase the replica ?

I hate this one

White socks were traditional for the Socceroos until I think as late as the 90s... they were worn at our first WC appearance 40 years ago hence the re-emergence.

It's not permitted legally as I understand it for the coat-of-arms to adorn a replica shirt produced for commercial purpose. Coat-of-arms is only allowed for the official representation of Australia, so players representing Australia can wear it but fans can't.

I still would have liked the badge to be green. I'm neither here nor there on the white socks, though some sort of green and gold trim would have been nice.

$100 for presale is pretty good value.

I'm really getting annoyed with the reference to it as the 74 kit though.

They've nailed it. Simple as that.

I thought my young eyes would see too much of Brasil in the yellow top/white socks combination, let alone playing in it on their patch. I had an issue with bringing out something from the past just for the sake of it as part of the Football Relevancy in Australia PR narrative, a gimmick.

Yet this kind of classy, respectful treatment of nostalgia makes me believe, even as a 90s kid, this look sits side by side with the bright ACB shooting stars of the '99 World Cup - not by way of a parallel timeframe, the shades of colours or the design specifics, but in terms of the package screaming a unique national identity. For me personally, there was nothing more Aussie Sport than this scene.
1999-World-Cup_2317843.jpg

As polarising as they might be, the Australian colours tell a story and envoke an emotion.
This Socceroos kit somehow does that and I haven't ever seen it in action. The fine line between jarring, kitsch and ugly; to utterly, convincingly right.

Even better to bring it out in the 'monochrome' 2014 World Cup. I'm not even mad if the change kit is all navy again if it's on that template (something interchangeable would be nice, though - gold or white shorts!)

What was our alternate in the 70s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the away strip comes with white shorts. It was mentioned as fact on the 442 forums so it might be in the presser. Could be an okay look actually. I still think navy's bland and bottle green would be a lot better – pretty unique, more engaging, and it'd probably ship a few more for novelty's sake. Plus green is pretty much my favourite colour for a sports team.

But white shorts for the clash will pretty much dispel the 'FIFA wants monochrome' rule. I mean yellow and green... sorrrrrrta. But navy and white is a Josh Kennedy leap from black and white. If you're allowing that, how can you disallow Germany? Or Spain? I wouldn't mind it if it was an Adidas thing and they actually designed good shirts – instead of the plastic bag-feeling, splash-adorning they're trottin' out now... I think variating a theme makes a kit really memorable. A bit like Italy wearing a slightly darker blue, complementing it with black and not white, and having blue shorts.

I am super excited about the home kit.

I actually don't know whether i'll bother buying the shirt for a couple of reasons.

a) my 2006 home is still working wonders and I don't have a lot of expendable cash these days

b) the beauty isn't just in the shirt, it's in the completed kit. This would be a big fat meh for me with gold socks. The white socks make it an instant classic.

I am super excited about the home kit.

I actually don't know whether i'll bother buying the shirt for a couple of reasons.

a) my 2006 home is still working wonders and I don't have a lot of expendable cash these days

b) the beauty isn't just in the shirt, it's in the completed kit. This would be a big fat meh for me with gold socks. The white socks make it an instant classic.
Just wear the whole kit everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back