St Kilda returning to Moorabbin

Remove this Banner Ad

no worries, i can promise you one thing, we won't trade it for a home sick trent croad...

its not like you get a good player at pick 1 anyways...next minute...Pick 1 Luke Hodge, Pick 2 Luke Ball, Pick 3 Chris Judd
Still flooding this place with rubbish Deflecto :$

Interesting how no one seemed to care about all this "money being wasted" when we were going to be attached to the junction oval redevelopment that would see everyone benefit by freeing up the MCG earlier.

Sick of people bashing the Saints on here, leave them alone!!

I'm on your side. I'm a fan of your board's decisions, without them Freo would still be s**t so I'm very very grateful to the St Kilda Football Club.

Interesting how no one seemed to care about all this "money being wasted" when we were going to be attached to the junction oval redevelopment that would see everyone benefit by freeing up the MCG earlier.

I noted it was a waste of money when the junction oval redevelopment was on the cards, the government has helped all the clubs redevelop or build top class facilities so I don't have a problem with the government supporting clubs. But, to fund the saints moving around I don't think is a great use of resources given the state government already helped to build good quality facilities for the Saints at Seaford. Regret moving? Throw the hat around the members if you dislike it that much.

At least it is not as bad as the bottomless hole at Geelong which needs another $20m every election.

Seems like alot of taxpayers money but you know my view on all of this,

I dont pay taxes.

WTF? The return to Linton St will go ahead after the Victorian Government agreed last week to lift its funding commitment from $8 million to $12 million.??

So that's $9.5 mill down the drain?

Enlighten me....what am i missing here?
New social club with more pokies (the reason the saints left was because the council wouldn't approve the application for more pokies, and called the saints bluff when they threatened to leave)

New social club with more pokies (the reason the saints left was because the council wouldn't approve the application for more pokies, and called the saints bluff when they threatened to leave)
yeah thats correct, my understanding is that there were a few Councillors at the time who didn't want the saints at moorabbin

Errr.... in case you haven't noticed they still play AFL games at Kardinia Park, where would you like Geelong to play and train? What a stupid analogy, why do football fans become so precious when their team makes stupid idiotic financial blunders? The Saints move is a complete waste of money and resources.

At the MCG or Etihad, like everyone else?

Why does Geelong need to have a stadium all to themselves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no worries, i can promise you one thing, we won't trade it for a home sick trent croad...

its not like you get a good player at pick 1 anyways...next minute...Pick 1 Luke Hodge, Pick 2 Luke Ball, Pick 3 Chris Judd
We wouldn't do that s**t now either.

I understand the peninsula has traditionally been "St Kilda territory", but I never really understood the Seaford move from an accessability perspective for players, staff and supporters.
It was meant to be at Frankston Oval but then there were going to be cost blowouts with that location that were beyond what St Kilda could afford.

Again it's all about the money and the lack thereof to be able to make the best decisions.

Also doesn't help that Melbourne Footy Journo's are experts in laziness and would refuse to drive to Seaford because they wont make it back to the office in time for happy hour.

Last edited:
It wasn't more Pokies it was just moving the existing machines from Linton St to South Rd (about 200m), the council insisted on less Pokies but the club couldn't make the finances work without the existing amount of machines.

Like the issues with Frankston Oval it highlights the financial issues that can hamstrung club decisions.

If we'd had a little more in the bank we'd either never have moved from Moorabbin or would have been able to make Frankston Oval work.

It wasn't more Pokies it was just moving the existing machines from Linton St to South Rd (about 200m), the council insisted on less Pokies but the club couldn't make the finances work without the existing amount of machines.
Yep this is correct, their reasoning was the new location of the pokies would be too close to the Sandbelt pokies venue.

I remember seeing old plans of what Saints wanted to do with the original redevelopment and it would have been great, then a couple of suits at Kingston felt they needed to be important for a week and put a stop to it.

The Saints HQ being back in the Moorabbin/Bayside area is very important for the club and personally as a local it'll be good to have them back.

They'll also have to reopen Transformers or it won't be the same.

Look at it this way, Moorabbin was always earmarked with redevelopment to support the local leagues and the Dragons. All this does is fast track the inevitable upgrades that Seaford was going to need. Do you stick the money in a facility that shouldnt have happened or bite the bullet and double down now and ensure a proper home for the club for decades to come. Plus AFL quality facilties and play surface for the Dragons and local league finals.

Look at it this way, Moorabbin was always earmarked with redevelopment to support the local leagues and the Dragons. All this does is fast track the inevitable upgrades that Seaford was going to need. Do you stick the money in a facility that shouldnt have happened or bite the bullet and double down now and ensure a proper home for the club for decades to come. Plus AFL quality facilties and play surface for the Dragons and local league finals.

Na mate, this is just the Saints making more bad decisions and wasting more valuable taxpayers money that could be better spent on other things like more roads.

*ignores that it's a community facility that also has significant potential to make the Saints money*

Meh. Seaford gets something decent and the Saints return to their home, while about ten other groups get a brand new facility.

In terms of your taxes, it's nothing. The government pisses away 'your' taxes all the time on all sorts of s**t. This is probably a good thing to money to go towards... better than $900 lunches or people who scheme Centrelink. Or, you know, the money that goes towards a brand new stadium in Sydney opening every nine months...

At the MCG or Etihad, like everyone else?

Why does Geelong need to have a stadium all to themselves?
Perhaps because Geelong isn't part of Melbourne? Should the Swans, Suns, Lions, Crows et all play their games at the MCG/Etihad?

Oh people cared. And the Saints moving to Junction Oval was never going to go ahead. Cricket were very firm on it from the start, so was the Vic Gov.

The new board identified this as a target early on. They've been making good decisions all the way along. Some seem to think this has come out of nowhere, but it's been in the pipeline for a couple of years.

And seriously people whinging about their taxes; build a bloody bridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back