Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Found this in the Senate committee transcript for the Establishment of an AFL team in Tassie. All though we all knew it to be the case, it's good to have some raw numbers.

Brian Cook said:
...at Skilled Stadium when you have a capacity of 25,000, we make a net profit in that game of $638,000 per game, which is $26 per head. If we have a crowd of 85,500 at the MCG, which we did have against Collingwood in 2007, we brought home $771,000, which was $9 a head. Importantly, Telstra, now Etihad Stadium, with a near capacity of 46,000, we brought home $293,000, which is $6 a head. So when you compare a crowd at Skilled of 25,000 compared to Telstra, which is nearly twice as much at 46, you at Skilled bring home to the club $638,000 out of all revenue sources per game and only $293,000 from Telstra. It is extremely important that if an AFL stadium is developed in Tasmania, the lease arrangements and the revenue attraction arrangements provide a high yield to ensure sustainability. It is pretty simple, really.

Surely the GFC should be reimbursed by the AFL for sending games to Etihad, considering we specifically ask for 9 Skilled and 2 MCG home games

Re: GFC - Stadium Yields

Surely the GFC should be reimbursed by the AFL for sending games to Etihad, considering we specifically ask for 9 Skilled and 2 MCG home games
The problem with compensation is that isn't just about the raw dollars. We kick-arse at Etihad. We play that ground better than any other, including KP, which leads to better marketability of the club

The problem with compensation is that isn't just about the raw dollars. We kick-arse at Etihad. We play that ground better than any other, including KP, which leads to better marketability of the club
I agree, but that's not the point, If we were willing to take a hit in our backpocket due to a more likelyhood of winning a game then that doesn't explain why the clubs ask for those games to be played at SS, and if the AFL can't accommodate due to their contractual obligations than we should be compensated. I know it's only one game at Etihad this year but that's still about 350k written of our bottom line.

We might play better at Etihad, but reletively opposition clubs play a lot worse at Skilled Stadium.

Where would you perfer to play the Bulldogs?

I read recently that the Bulldogs were "in talks" to play a few home games at Skilled Stadium. Wouldn't it be ironic if we played a bulldogs home game at SS (I know it wont happen) but the thought amused me for a moment.

I wonder what our revenue will be once SS has a larger capacity. I have a feeling that the magic $26/head profit might actually decrease a bit.

I don't think compensation is necessary really. The bonus we get for having our own home ground is enormous. Worth more than pure monetary terms. We should hang onto SS as long as heavenly possible.

it is very nice to see those figures up there.
cheers.
i will refer back to this when it no doubt comes up in conversation over the weekend with friends who think the whole stadium crisis thing is not a big deal.
Funny thing is we actually havent had an official attendance at home of 25k+ for well over 4 years now but it is nice to see net profit figures over the half mill every home game.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we played a bulldogs home game at SS (I know it wont happen) but the thought amused me for a moment.
quote]

i thought the eact same thing. They dont realise how well they (and StKilda and Essendon) have it against us by us having to travel to their home venue to play them. If you remember the Dogs (well some of them anyway) were not at all happy about having to travel to Geelong to play us last year.

i suppose you could counter act that with that fact they sort of concede a genuine home ground advantage against a co-tenant but tough t***ies!

A lot of the difference comes from basic market forces. Since Skilled has a relatively scarce supply of seats, most people buy expensive season or reserved seats, whereas at the bigger stadia with greater capacities more people can buy cheaper general admission tickets.

A lot of the difference comes from basic market forces. Since Skilled has a relatively scarce supply of seats, most people buy expensive season or reserved seats, whereas at the bigger stadia with greater capacities more people can buy cheaper general admission tickets.

Is a general admin ticket at Skilled less than Edihad Stadium? I thought it was around the same if not more at Docklands. I think level 2 is around or over the 50 dollar mark or something rediculous like that

We might play better at Etihad, but reletively opposition clubs play a lot worse at Skilled Stadium.

Where would you perfer to play the Bulldogs?

OK lets look at the last 10 years

At Docklands Geelong 5 wins WB 4 wins
At KP Geelong 2 wins WB 5 wins

hmmm- I might take our results from the Docklands thanks.

I would say the per-head yield will go down somewhat with the addition of extra seats, but at 30,500 or whatever the capacity is going to be, KP is still pretty small, especially for team that's going through a golden period like we are. So I would not be surprised if our return was more like $750,000 with the additional room for reserved seating.

Hopefully those extra seats will be reserved by young men with voices instead of nannas with thermoses and blankies ;)

Hopefully those extra seats will be reserved by young men with voices instead of nannas with thermoses and blankies ;)

There's a little old lady with a blanket and seat cushon who also has her thermose with soup top sip on pre-game. As soon as the action starts she's a loud mouthed bogan who can out scream most of us at the city end of the ground. It's quite funny actually. What a cool granny

I would say the per-head yield will go down somewhat with the addition of extra seats, but at 30,500 or whatever the capacity is going to be, KP is still pretty small, especially for team that's going through a golden period like we are. So I would not be surprised if our return was more like $750,000 with the additional room for reserved seating.

Hey I don't take a thermos:rolleyes:

Good morning C

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back