State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

The louder the crowds reacts and if the players ask for it, they will get it 90% of the time. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to apply to us

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe we need more supporters to come to the game and react so that we can get decisions going our way.

Thought the Tucker decision was correct tbh. He made no attempt to dispose and also intentionally tried to get over the line. Players do this a lot when they are close to the line which gives the umpire an out, but he was five metres inside the line and it took another five seconds in the tackle before he went over. It was holding the ball.

The allowing players so much time to dispose is ridiculous when players are also scared to bring their opponent to ground now.
The Tucker decision wasn’t the issue. The issue was the fact that simultaneously Steele is spun 360 three times, whilst Coopers tackle in F50, both no free.

The other 2 I remember just shaking my head were the one where Steele was tackled for almost 5 seconds & given as much time as he needed to get rid of the ball & another StK player got tackled & rotated 720° and then allowed to dish off a handball. Yet when our players were tackled, the umpires couldn't blow the whistle quick enough.
We laid 88 tackles and I think we would have been lucky to draw more than 3 holding the ball decisions. St Kilda players were either throwing it or taking way too long to dispose of it, yet were never penalised. Yet North players were hardly given any time to dispose.

It can’t be a coincidence that the team laying the most tackles is only rewarded for a fraction of them while the other team was virtually rewarded on most occasions.

Thought the Tucker decision was correct tbh. He made no attempt to dispose and also intentionally tried to get over the line. Players do this a lot when they are close to the line which gives the umpire an out, but he was five metres inside the line and it took another five seconds in the tackle before he went over. It was holding the ball.

The allowing players so much time to dispose is ridiculous when players are also scared to bring their opponent to ground now.
That is never paid. It happens 100 times a game and is always called a throw in.

Higgins actually released the tackle trying to get a deliberate decision.

If that’s holding the ball then we were robbed of at least 10 free kicks where St Kilda players either dropped it or took too long to dispose of it.

That is never paid. It happens 100 times a game and is always called a throw in.

Because players are smart enough to do it right near the boundary, meaning they get taken over before their reasonable opportunity to dispose of the ball has expired.

The requirement to try and dispose of the ball doesn't disappear just because you're near the boundary - the Saints player was smart enough to realise what Tucker was trying to do and kept him in play for long enough for it to become obvious he wasn't making a reasonable attempt.

Because he tackled him for long enough beforehand and Tucker made no attempt to dispose of it. It was already HTB by the time they went over the boundary.
So it was only holding the ball if you wear a North jumper? Because unless my eyes were deceiving me St Kilda players had double the time Tucker had to dispose the ball and were never penalised.

So it was only holding the ball if you wear a North jumper? Because unless my eyes were deceiving me St Kilda players had double the time Tucker had to dispose the ball and were never penalised.

I literally said about five posts up that players got way too long to dispose of the ball. There's a difference when you're not making any attempt whatsoever though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The St Kilda flop paid as LDU is streaming forward. Ball goes the other way and is a St Kilda goal when we had a scoring opportunity.
Kingy called the umpiring out this morning on SEN, specifically mentioning that the LDU decision was wrong and quite possibly cost us the game.

giantroo any chance of a clip of the Marshall flop? I never saw what that free kick was all about.

Except that in my opinion there were multiple occasions when St. Kilda players made no attempt to dispose of the ball too, but were not penalised.

The non decision against Steele when he was given enough time to whip out a pen and carefully sign the football before ultimately disposing of it was an absolute shocker, as Mute Point has previously pointed out.

I can't recall any glaring calls from ump no. 14, and he actually umpired on Friday night too. Suggests two things; that the gulf between the better and worse umpires is ******* huge, and that the league knows there isn't a big enough talent pool for the four umpire model to comfortably work. All-round cluster*, basically. And it's not gonna get any better this week, with a graveyard shift spoonbowl fixture in front of one of the most rabid crowds in football

Thanks giantroo . It was Yellow Peanut #19 who also fell for the Higgins flop alongside the behind post earlier in the game. After yesterday's effort, it's clear we have a new clubhouse leader for worst umpire, with Eleni being dethroned.

View attachment 1753790

Good grief, he looks like some reincarnation of a dwerp from the 1950's with his hair oil and cockies crest. Was a terrible look then and it has not aged well. Mind you its not the look that counts, its what goes on between the ears. Not much I would say.

Rule of the week is going to be hands in the back.
Watch the staging increase.
Not sure why they have to practice paying free kicks if it's there just paid it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back