State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1707036

This chart makes interesting reading, a team having a bad run of form, second to the ball and still not tackling as much, as we have been, particularly in a few of those really bad games, you'd expect to be getting less free kicks. But then WCE, who for whatever we have done this year in the way of playing poor footy, have repeatedly managed to out do is, somehow have a positive free kick count!

I don't like the argument of a differential in free kicks in a game as being evidence of one team being screwed by the umpires, if a free kick is there, it should be paid and if over the course of a match or a season it leads to a team having more or less free kicks then that's what it is.

I am also aware when watching North play, I am probably pretty biased and far more aware of free kicks I think have been missed our way and dodgy ones paid against us.

But, there have been a few games (most notably v Carlton) where even plenty of neutrals have thought we were getting a pretty stiff run from the umps. I sometimes think there is a preconceived opinion, a North player being tackled, the ball spills out on the blind side, North aren't good, must have dropped it, opposition player similar situation, they are good, probably got a handball etc.

Again, trying to allow for my own one eyed bias, there does seem to be so many times similar situations are judged differently, I think it was the start of the match against the Cats, Ziebs moved someone under the ball, took the mark, taken off him for a push, a minute later, might have been Hawkins (?) blatantly pushed someone in the back, paid the mark.

Do we get the average Umpires on the roster after the Top 8 Teams roster is completed?

I'd like a tally on the number of non-controlling umpire calls against clubs. I'm not referring to the Larkey type one but more-so an umpire 10metres from the play being over-ruled by an umpire 150 metres away. At a guess I think some clubs have never had the pleasure but at North it is a common occurrence.

What was the go with the deliberate against Stephenson on the weekend? In this instance I think a message came through the ear piece, from upstairs. I'd love the question to be asked as to how that call was made so late.

What was the go with the deliberate against Stephenson on the weekend?
Video clearly showed that was an error by the umpire. But you are likely to be right when you suggest that the call was made from upstairs as the delay was "abnormal".

Assuming that the umpires are able to take instructions from upstairs, my first question is; why don't they do it more often? and the second question is; why don't they make the correct call instead of penalising the wrong player as they did in the Stephenson / Hempell example?

Agree 100%.

Unpopular opinion: I thought Sunday's game was umpired well. Seemed to not be as over-umpired as the Swans game in particular.

I actually agree with you Pres, and l also can't believe l'm saying that at the same time.
I have a standard on umpiring though;
a) how many times did l yell at the Rank Arena.
b) how many times did l hear, " are we losing " yelled from the kitchen.

Screenshot_2023-06-08-19-02-12-14_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg
Umps for the game. Know for a fact that Dore and Rebeschini both didn't get a game last week. Meaning that at the moment, the league see them as in the worst 25% of those who get a regular gig. Brace yourselves

The free kick against Corr whilst mauling of forwards was allowed for 99% of the game is exactly what is wrong with the game. There is way too much picking out one minor issue and ignoring the same. The quality of umpires is just not there to support the game properly and getting the dregs each week makes that worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was some absolute howlers yesterday but the worst was Tucker getting pinged for deliberate out of bounds as he was tackled, that cost us a goal. Happens 10 times a game and they decided to ping him 15 meters from goal. Disgraceful decision.

There was some absolute howlers yesterday but the worst was Tucker getting pinged for deliberate out of bounds as he was tackled, that cost us a goal. Happens 10 times a game and they decided to ping him 15 meters from goal. Disgraceful decision.

The louder the crowds reacts and if the players ask for it, they will get it 90% of the time. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to apply to us

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not corrupt, just incompetent. But the list of umps who I'm displeased to see allocated to our games is just getting longer. We badly need to go back to three. For several reasons

Th funny thing was I don’t think he got done for deliberate, but actually holding the ball, which made it even worse.

Either way the decision was just moronic.

Higgins tackles him across the line and then let’s go and appeals for deliberate. It couldn’t be holding the ball as he let go of the tackle and the fact that Higgins is trying to execute a tackle when he is near the line means it can’t be deliberate.

It was just one of many ****ed up decisions that went against us.

3 critical decisions in a 9 point game that decide the outcome.

• Corr done for a push when it was a textbook spoil results in a goal.
  • The Tucker one above - goal
  • The St Kilda flop paid as LDU is streaming forward. Ball goes the other way and is a St Kilda goal when we had a scoring opportunity.

These three decisions alone were telling in a close game. Im not sure how you could say the umpires making them as AFL standard.

I don’t recall St Kilda being on the end of many of any ridiculous calls like these ones.

Last edited:
Th funny thing was I don’t think he got done for deliberate, but actually holding the ball, which made it even worse.

Higgins tackles him across the line and then let’s go and appeals for deliberate. It couldn’t be holding the ball as he let go of the tackle and the fact that Higgins is trying to execute a tackle when he is near the line means it can’t be deliberate.

• The St Kilda flop paid as LDU is streaming forward. Ball goes the other way and is a St Kilda goal when we had a scoring opportunity.

These three decisions alone were telling and so argue anyone to defend the umpires making them as AFL standard.
The other 2 I remember just shaking my head were the one where Steele was tackled for almost 5 seconds & given as much time as he needed to get rid of the ball & another StK player got tackled & rotated 720° and then allowed to dish off a handball. Yet when our players were tackled, the umpires couldn't blow the whistle quick enough.

These three decisions alone were telling and so argue anyone to defend the umpires making them as AFL standard.

Kingy called the umpiring out this morning on SEN, specifically mentioning that the LDU decision was wrong and quite possibly cost us the game.

I'm still shaking my head at the standard of the umpiring yesterday, with the LDU decision "the icing on the cake" moment.

The umpires we cop most weeks are not up to standard in my opinion and they too need to take some responsibility for this (yet another) season from hell.

We badly need a win, because if nothing else, it might lift the players morale a little.

16 losses on the trot now and the players must surely be questioning what impact this might have for each of them. The AFL needs to think very carefully about how the terrible standard of umpiring might be derailing/ending some players careers.

Thought the Tucker decision was correct tbh. He made no attempt to dispose and also intentionally tried to get over the line. Players do this a lot when they are close to the line which gives the umpire an out, but he was five metres inside the line and it took another five seconds in the tackle before he went over. It was holding the ball.

The allowing players so much time to dispose is ridiculous when players are also scared to bring their opponent to ground now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back