State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

......They let players run with the ball across the boundary line at will, but pay free kicks for 50m bombs that bounce sideways after rolling end over end for 5 or 10 metres.

The state of umpiring is dire at the top level. I can't imagine how bad it is at lower levels.......
The AFL introducing 'deliberate OOB' or 'lack of intent to keep the ball in play' whilst allowing players to just step over the line with the ball in hand is the modern, confused state of the game in a nutshell. I try and avoid all footy media - is anyone making a noise about this glaring contradiction?

Went to the opening round of the WAFL yesterday....usually enjoy the WAFL as a spectacle over the AFL as it is a more old-style, open game, with less intrusive and pedantic umpiring, but there were any number of frees for high contact given to players ducking their heads or driving head first into an opponent - even the Perth crowd, whose team were doing the ducking and kicked a couple of goals from resultant frees, were murmuring their disapproval at the whistle. Why can't umpires see what everyone else can?

The AFL introducing 'deliberate OOB' or 'lack of intent to keep the ball in play' whilst allowing players to just step over the line with the ball in hand is the modern, confused state of the game in a nutshell.
It is a complete contradiction.

The rules in general are a mess and everything added in recent years since out on the full has a negative impact.

This highlights the biggest problem with AFL umpiring, the thing that is almost unique to our game , umpires are expected to be mind readers. If you don’t have the ability to read a players mind when it comes to intent then you’re simply guessing and that in a nub is our biggest problem.

The AFL introducing 'deliberate OOB' or 'lack of intent to keep the ball in play' whilst allowing players to just step over the line with the ball in hand is the modern, confused state of the game in a nutshell. I try and avoid all footy media - is anyone making a noise about this glaring contradiction?

Went to the opening round of the WAFL yesterday....usually enjoy the WAFL as a spectacle over the AFL as it is a more old-style, open game, with less intrusive and pedantic umpiring, but there were any number of frees for high contact given to players ducking their heads or driving head first into an opponent - even the Perth crowd, whose team were doing the ducking and kicked a couple of goals from resultant frees, were murmuring their disapproval at the whistle. Why can't umpires see what everyone else can?

It is a complete contradiction.

The rules in general are a mess and everything added in recent years since out on the full has a negative impact.
See above 🤣

Not to be a killjoy, although McGovern has disposed of the ball before zurhaar takes him high. Both were undoubtedly free kicks in any case.

Weitering actually laughs that they got away with that one. Unbelievably bad umpiring. There are four of them now and they still miss stuff.:eek:

La Flama Blanca could umpires have a pre meditated conclusion of “theres no way North defenders can stop these guy with no KPD’s so therefore every 50/50 contest must be a free kick”?
Yep. They are footy fans like the rest of us. They know what the story lines are and it would impact the way they view the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

La Flama Blanca could umpires have a pre meditated conclusion of “theres no way North defenders can stop these guy with no KPD’s so therefore every 50/50 contest must be a free kick”?

I reiterate my point from Friday. They would certainly be aware we're undermanned down back, so a comment like "watch for North backs holding" could be dropped in. That's all. From there they actively look for it and feel they have to pay everything. Anything that COULD be a hold on Curnow and McKay suddenly IS a free and will be paid.

Also, a bit's been made on North getting frees in non-damaging places. I also can't recall too many on the outer side. Why? Umpires are told to not react to the crowd. So they subconsciously double down. A free to North in front of irate and frustrated North fans could be seen to appease North fans so better off letting it go.

It was no deliberate fix. Just really weak umpiring from umpires who were out of their depth being in such a game.

Last edited:
I reiterate my point from Friday. They would certainly be aware we're undermanned down back, so a comment like "watch for North backs holding" could be dropped in. That's all. From there they actively look for it and feel they have to pay everything. Anything that COULD be a hold on Curnow and McKay suddenly IS a free and will be paid.

Also, a bit's been made on North getting frees in non-damaging places. I also can't recall too many on the outer side. Why? Umpires are told to not react to the crowd. So they subconsciously double down. A free to North in front of irate and frustrated North fans could be seen to appease North fans so better off letting it go.

It was no deliberate fix. Just really weak umpiring from umpires who were out of there depth being in such a game.

If the above is all true, then it’s pointless even talking about this. No matter what decisions are made, they will be wrong or played for the wrong reasons or… Honestly, it’s so much better to concentrate on our team’s improvement, rather than on a totally useless circular argument.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I dispute the claims of us just being on the end of a bumbling but innocently inept umpiring performance.

It'd be easy enough for headquarters to communicate preferences.. without communicating preferences. Just like any workplace where there's always a few unwritten, dirty, little assumptions on how things need to be done.

Dogs 2016. Cotchin 2017. These ****s knew exactly what they were doing on Friday.

To dismiss the idea that umpiring could possibly NOT be unscrupulous fair and unbiased is just naive and self-comforting.

If things are so fair I look forward to Harry McKay's week off tomorrow.

I dispute the claims of us just being on the end of a bumbling but innocently inept umpiring performance.

It'd be easy enough for headquarters to communicate preferences.. without communicating preferences. Just like any workplace where there's always a few unwritten, dirty, little assumptions on how things need to be done.

Dogs 2016. Cotchin 2017. These ****s knew exactly what they were doing on Friday.

To dismiss the idea that umpiring could possibly NOT be unscrupulous fair and unbiased is just naive and self-comforting.

If things are so fair I look forward to Harry McKay's week off tomorrow.
I would like to think that the umps are doing their best and just make mistakes.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a decent amount of evidence which suggests otherwise.

If Carlton have a good run in the H&A and make finals, the AFL coffers will be overflowing, you wouldn't be a very good business person if you didn't do what you can to puppet this outcome behind the scenes.

That’s how they apply bit to gun players, so it does make sense.

See Chris Judd and Luke hodge. Both guilty of dog acts several times but the commentary never goes there. If you don’t talk about these glaring contradictions they simply don’t exist and we’re left with pure blood champions of the game.

The inconsistency with what rules the AFL expect to be enforced is another thing that is frustrating. For instance they have zero tolerance for any contact above the shoulder, even if it's the slightest touch that has no effect on the play.

But they are happy to allow players to throw the footy with impunity, which ends up rewarding players for being bad at a fundamental skill of the game.

This bit of play barely resembles Australian Rules football but the umpires just let it go. It's nuts.

Watched the last 10 mins of Essendon/GWS. Essendon players falling on the ball in GWS's crowded forward line at every opportunity knowing they would be smothered by GWS players. No attempt to get the ball out, only hold it in and waste time.

No free for diving on the ball, no free for insufficient effort to dispose/handball. Umpire happy to call a ball up every time.

s**t umpiring. s**t spectacle.

The inconsistency with what rules the AFL expect to be enforced is another thing that is frustrating. For instance they have zero tolerance for any contact above the shoulder, even if it's the slightest touch that has no effect on the play.

But they are happy to allow players to throw the footy with impunity, which ends up rewarding players for being bad at a fundamental skill of the game.

This bit of play barely resembles Australian Rules football but the umpires just let it go. It's nuts.

A clear illustration of what footy has become - a cheating throw-fest. All we needed was a knee-ducking dive and an arm lift and the picture would be complete.

These teams must train for that kind of thing. I admit, there is a degree of skill to those throws.

It's just not footy.

Last edited:
I would like to think that the umps are doing their best and just make mistakes.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a decent amount of evidence which suggests otherwise.

If Carlton have a good run in the H&A and make finals, the AFL coffers will be overflowing, you wouldn't be a very good business person if you didn't do what you can to puppet this outcome behind the scenes.
Then explain why those mistake only favour one side, coincidence?

Pretty naive view to think it was just unfortunate that we were on the end of every howler they made and Carlton not impacted once.

s**t umpiring is s**t umpiring and will invariable impact both participants. Friday was so lopsided that it’s very hard to argue that we just were unlucky in a s**t umpired game.

The clear give away of an umpire agenda is the Stephenson too far free kick. This is an umpire looking for an opportunity to penalise a side, because if you are concentrating on officiating the game, that call would not even enter your mind. In fact the speed of whistle showed it was a premeditated call. Normally with running too far it’s a delayed response as the umpire assess if the player has ran too far. In this case the call is made very quickly, which demonstrates the want to make a decision that didn’t even exist.

Last edited:

That’s a disgrace.

Then explain why those mistake only favour one side, coincidence?

Pretty naive view to think it was just unfortunate that we were on the end of every howler they made and Carlton not impacted once.

s**t umpiring is s**t umpiring and will invariable impact both participants. Friday was so lopsided that it’s very hard to argue that we just were unlucky in a s**t umpired game.
Mere coincidence.

Since 1973

Remove this Banner Ad

Back