Roast Statement on Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

I've actually met the bloke on numerous occasions. Probably just an off day but watching it I found my self swearing at him.

I'm happy to take the game and cut up questionable incidents because I need to rewatch it anyway, but I won't be able to do it for a few weeks. I think it might be pointless that long after, but I may still do it anyway.

Just tweet the guy direct for an explanation

https://twitter.com/nickfoot2

this has already lead to him receiving abusive tweets. i'm not comfortable with this at all and think people are crossing the line

the last thing we need in our sport is people hurling abuse at umpires more than 2 days after the game

hoping the mods step in on this one

Have to agree with Defacto here - I don't recommend any contact with umpires as even the most innocent tweet can be misinterpreted or overblown - K

Last edited by a moderator:
this has already lead to him receiving abusive tweets. i'm not comfortable with this at all and think people are crossing the line

the last thing we need in our sport is people hurling abuse at umpires more than 2 days after the game

So counsel people against sending abusive tweets.

If I post the Prime Minister's postal address that's not a tacit endorsement of mailing him death threats.

Fact remains Foot's a public figure and he's made himself contactable on Twitter.

Tweet away I say.

Come on guys, as supporters of not only St Kilda but also this great game of ours, we shouldn't stoop so low as to abuse an umpire, other than a Saturday afternoon whilst in the heat of the moment. And to supporters that have already tweeted their abuse to him, I hope you are man enough to retweet & appologize.

Come on guys, as supporters of not only St Kilda but also this great game of ours, we shouldn't stoop so low as to abuse an umpire, other than a Saturday afternoon whilst in the heat of the moment. And to supporters that have already tweeted their abuse to him, I hope you are man enough to retweet & appologize.

How can I see the abuse? I am looking at his Twitter account but can't see any.... maybe I am missing something or he has deleted it already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you follow me you'd see what I said.

Called him the worst umpire going around. Not abuse just fact to be honest.

I've got absolutely no problem with him getting told that. I also think that it is good that he knows we are onto him in the way he umpires Saints games. Might make him think about his pathetic performance.

If you follow me you'd see what I said.

Called him the worst umpire going around. Not abuse just fact to be honest.
My apologies, I'm the twit coz I don't have tweeter & was only going on an earlier comment. As for him being the worst umpire going around ........ you nailed that right on the head, good call SK_MD_#7 :thumbsu:

Look, I got some flak on Twitter yesterday for directing a few people to his twitter handle.

Firstly, don't abuse him. Don't say anything to him on Twitter you wouldn't say to him if he were right in front of you.

However, umpires live in a accountability free environment. Journalists don't criticize them, but make mealy-mouth platitudes about everyone making mistakes, which excuses any mistake.

On the other hand any criticism by fans is dismissed as the biased ranting of someone who cannot see things as they truly are, so we cannot bring these things up. Combined with the increasing complexity of the rules, it's no wonder umpiring is not getting any better. The games gets harder to umpire, we insist that all umpires possess a fairly unnecessary and unimportant skill (bouncing the ball), and there is never any consequences to them doing an incompetent or worse job.

Look, I got some flak on Twitter yesterday for directing a few people to his twitter handle.

Firstly, don't abuse him. Don't say anything to him on Twitter you wouldn't say to him if he were right in front of you.

However, umpires live in a accountability free environment. Journalists don't criticize them, but make mealy-mouth platitudes about everyone making mistakes, which excuses any mistake.

On the other hand any criticism by fans is dismissed as the biased ranting of someone who cannot see things as they truly are, so we cannot bring these things up. Combined with the increasing complexity of the rules, it's no wonder umpiring is not getting any better. The games gets harder to umpire, we insist that all umpires possess a fairly unnecessary and unimportant skill (bouncing the ball), and there is never any consequences to them doing an incompetent or worse job.

Externally this may be the case but internally it is not. Each decision is reviewed and feedback is given.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-30/umpire-insider-the-review

TLDR:
"Using software from Champion Data, every on-field decision for each umpire is charted by time, zone, the players involved, whether it was correct, missed or unwarranted, what sort of contest it was, the reason for the decision (or non-decision) and with a comment from the coach.

Each centre bounce is also graded as follows: straight, offline, badly offline, recalled.

It is a painstaking but necessary process, with every umpire assessed for about three minutes each. Everything gets noticed – even the fact one umpire went an entire match without taking a bounce.

The feedback is eye-opening for anyone whose view of football is usually confined to the prism of the two competing teams. "

TLDR:
"Using software from Champion Data, every on-field decision for each umpire is charted by time, zone, the players involved, whether it was correct, missed or unwarranted, what sort of contest it was, the reason for the decision (or non-decision) and with a comment from the coach.
And those are the stats we need, not the meaningless 'free kick count'. The free kick count can be 100-0 and as long as all those frees were there and consistently applied to both teams there's no problem.

I don't think you did anything wrong, If anything I find you are very measured and fair. Have no issue with people politely tweeting him, it's the abuse I have a problem with, people cussing at him calling him a hack etc.

As you said, don't say anything you wouldn't say to him in person

So this umpire probably did a good job.

What happens if they get something wrong, other than being told?

I don't have a hard and fast source for this but i remember reading somewhere that they are often sent to lesser competitions for bad performance. Back to the Tassie state league for Foot IMO.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay

Free kick 4:13 of the 3rd quarter

I couldn't even believe it was happening.
Obviously that was a mistake, and the footy gods were watching, hence ultimately it meant we scored a goal.

Not exactly conspiracy stuff though was it. I mean, if I was an umpire and wanted to "cheat", I wouldn't be out to make blatant mistakes that might inevitably lead me to be officiating in the VFL.

The only one they mentioned was the hit from Yeo on Webster on Whistleblowers, they left out Nic Nat kneeing Longer in the chest and free to Nat, they left out the absolutely perfect tackle with zero high contact from McKenzie near the boundary line that was called as high and free to Eagles. They left out a dozen other horrific calls and non-calls throughout the game. For the worst umpiring in years, you'd think they'd at least make mention of their mistakes. It's disgusting that they're just brushing that entire game under the rug without the decency to apologize or inform us on what actions they're taking. I do not want to watch football with severely one-sided umpiring like that, I think I speak for everyone in saying that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back