Roast Statement on Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

that was the worst free kick ive seen in a long long time. reaches out to get the ball but given he's fallen over with his opponent, his momentum to get the ball knocks it all of 10cm to the line

what more can he do. wasnt exactly a pressure situation either

horrid
All of 10cm, then the 2m over the fence, then another 3m into the crowd... while under no pressure.

The ball doesn't take that trajectory unless punched or thrown. No gather attempted.

Hodge takes a few steps, tackled drops it. Play on. Hawks goal.

Ray does the same and the whistle cant be blown quick enough.

It was just a joke. Frawley and Lake continually had no eyes for anything but Bruce in the marking contests yet nothing was ever paid.

Yet Dempster goes for a mark and gets pinged because he made a contest?

A joke.

All of 10cm, then the 2m over the fence, then another 3m into the crowd... while under no pressure.

The ball doesn't take that trajectory unless punched or thrown. No gather attempted.

thats fine. pay them all then

pretty sure i saw gibson run the ball over the line plenty of times today. why wasnt that paid?

Thought we got a couple of unlucky 50/50s but nothing terribly noticeable.

Beaten at the contest a lot tonight which cost us frees.

Think at times our tackling technique is poor and that is what costs us.

The issue with Geary deliberate is that if they're going to pay that where is the line drawn? Spoiling it over the line is the obvious comparison for me, is that not the same thing?

It actually ruined my enjoyment of the game tonight. I sat through the corresponding game last season and enjoyed myself. Tonight? I almost walked out.

thats fine. pay them all then

pretty sure i saw gibson run the ball over the line plenty of times today. why wasnt that paid?
Regulation tiggy-touch that only gets called when the ball clearly takes a forward trajectory, rather than one into the ground. ie. a feigned attempt at a knock-on gather.

Agreed umpires very biaised again this week! The frees the Hawks got in front of goal were ridiculous, then Bruce gets monstered, his arms slapped and getting head highs and no free play on.

The club needs to get on the front foot over these continued inequalities.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you be paying 30+ a game
Interesting you'd say that. One of the commentators estimated 100 frees a game if we always paid some of the wins the Hawks were getting.

My 4yo daughter asked at one point, "Dadda, are you allowed to kick people? The Hawks did it, and the umpire didn't whistle?"

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings.

My 4yo daughter asked at one point, "Dadda, are you allowed to kick people? The Hawks did it, and the umpire didn't whistle?"

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings.
i take it you were talking about when Armo tried to grab the ball and had it kicked from his hands????
I also had kids talking about that decision . After it happened my 13 yr old daughter said " Dad!!! Stop swearing"

i take it you were talking about when Armo tried to grab the ball and had it kicked from his hands????
I also had kids talking about that decision . After it happened my 13 yr old daughter said " Dad!!! Stop swearing"
Our forward pocket 2nd quarter. I seriously thought Armo had broken his wrists, he had both hands on the ball & was kicked straight out of them... Probably the worst non-decision of the game as it is so bloody dangerous

Ive always said it. There is too many umpires on the field. All have a different interpretation to rules.
Perfect example when geary got free against for deliberate out of bounce. Then later on suckling kicks straight to boundary on the wing and nothing paid.
As a fan we want consistent calls. But sadly we are far from it.

It's not that there are too many umpires, it's that the rules require interpretation.

Take the new take on high contact - the umpire has to judge whether the player with the ball is trying to make high contact more likely. As I have said before, the only concrete way to stop blokes playing for high contact is they are carried off the ground on a stretcher. They need to feel real danger through their actions.

Deliberate rushed behind was created to stop teams rushing the ball to quickly kick it in, a problem the AFL CREATED when they stopped making the kicker in wait until the flags had been waved before letting them kick in. So having created the problem, they then could have solved the problem with a little rule change - the bloke who rushed the behind can't be the one who kicks it in. But no, let's make things more difficult.

Look, I get angry at umpires all the time, but perhaps the job has just been made too bloody difficult, and this trend continues. We need a root-and-branch review of the rules to make the game easier to umpire.

Tin foil hat on but corruption in sport needs to be looked at a lot closer, their was studies on the nba by a couple of well known nba full time betters and although he never realised his results by name he did say their was significant evidence to suggest heir was corruption.

Would not put it past some afl umps to be corrupt

Leigh Matthews was onto it.
Said the bounce is a skill. And as you can see from the umpires that do make the afl and still call every 3rd one back... its obviously very hard...
Do away with it, and we can concentrate on hiring umps on their decision making abilities.

Leigh Matthews was onto it.
Said the bounce is a skill. And as you can see from the umpires that do make the afl and still call every 3rd one back... its obviously very hard...
Do away with it, and we can concentrate on hiring umps on their decision making abilities.
keep it for the opening bounces of every quarter is my opinion, then ball it up. would reduce knee injuries IMO in ruck contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back