Opinion Stevie J a good get? Yes/No?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm on the negative side too.
Signing reeks of Dave Matthews and a marketing belief in marquee names to draw bigger crowds.
If Western Sydney doesn't know the Giants, will they know Stevie J?
I thought Griffen would step up this year as elder statesman of the forward line, but now where to for him?
Always thought Johnson a bit of a buffoon, (but also thought that of Shaw, and now regard him as Mr Dependable).
Hopefully Stevie J can get his on-field tutorials done in 10 games or less, and then let the schooled youngsters go out and put it into effect while he looks on admiringly from the stands.
Has Griffen ever played forward in his career?

An a
Thought our list was past signing has beens on their last one year contract.
Hoping SJ can get us 25 goals for the year and be fit come finals time,should play 18 games.
No more of this please club president should make a stand NOW.[/Q
Are Hodge, Mitchell, Richards, Sandilands, Petrie, Waite, Murphy, Boyd,Swan, Watson, Enright and Bartel has beens?.All on one year contracts.What difference does it make when we have recruited him as a UFA?.Every team needs experience.We have NONE in our forward line.He had 8 shots at goal in his last game.Probably not an indication hes a has been

Does a player on a one year playing contract help the club in the long term? I know I know people will race about all that 'secret knowledge' Stevie j will pass on to the kids but really.... He takes a spot for one year and retires.

Another scenario is he proves all the doubters wrong and has a blinder... Do we then have to offer him a second year? Does that not mean he becomes almost like a best 22 clogger as he takes a spot but won't be there to help a flag (or top 4) tilt?

If he's a one year and then coach like Luke Power, James McDonald and Chad Cornes it is more positive than negative. If he's going to be someone like Setanta O'Hailpin, then it's a waste of a spot.

We need an on-field organizer for the forwards who do not naturally gel. They are still learning and while Cam and Jezza go ok; and Jezza and JP go ok, all three haven't quite worked it out. Stevie J can help and importantly will show Dev how to do it. Also if Stevie J can kick 20 goals plus assist with as many again then we're talking better chance of making finals. That means he's a good get.

Doubters?.Who?.Most respected people I have spoken too plus most Geelong people think he had a year or two left.We were the youngest side who has now got younger after trade period.We were the worst contested possession and near the worst for accuracy.How many kids do we need.If they earn the right they play.If not then Pickett etc can go and we use one of our 4 first round pics next year to replace them. Enough of the Bs about stealing a kids spot.Seriously after 5 years.They will stay if we play finals and show we are improving as a team.
Read up, ull find plenty of doubters mate

The point is if he were still up to it geelong would have offered him a one year contract on bugger all money. They didn't. We did and offered him coaching after which seems a big plus... But then if that's the bonus why not offer him an exclusive coaching role?

I'm not buying the whole 'he will teach our midfield how to be better' argument. If they need better direction hire a coach.

For me he needs to kick 30 goals or it's a flop.

Skill wise, he is an asset. But he may be a destructive influence if his arrogance rubs off on the youngsters. His former teammates have all acknowledged his footy brain, but as Chappy said aboiut him, he needs to learn to stick the gameplan.

The point is if he were still up to it geelong would have offered him a one year contract on bugger all money. They didn't. We did and offered him coaching after which seems a big plus... But then if that's the bonus why not offer him an exclusive coaching role?

I'm not buying the whole 'he will teach our midfield how to be better' argument. If they need better direction hire a coach.

Agree to completely disagree:)

Vic pokiesmonSenior List
GWS
Other teams:
Jul 15
Are Hodge, Mitchell, Richards, Sandilands, Petrie, Waite, Murphy, Boyd,Swan, Watson, Enright and Bartel has beens?.All on one year contracts.What difference does it make when we have recruited him as a UFA?.Every team needs experience.We have NONE in our forward line.He had 8 shots at goal in his last game.Probably not an indication hes a has been

Im talking about Stevie J and OUR list.
The 5 years spent building this list has been interesting to watch,But in 2017 if we need a 31/33 year old one year contract filler then its been a waste of time going through the first 5 years.
Its only my opinion,youre welcome to have yours.

Vic pokiesmon is spot on. If it wasn't for the unique position the cats were in with the age profile and needed to stagger the moving on of its senior players. They couldn't afford to have 6 or 7 retire in a single season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic pokiesmonSenior List
GWS
Other teams:
Jul 15

Im talking about Stevie J and OUR list.
The 5 years spent building this list has been interesting to watch,But in 2017 if we need a 31/33 year old one year contract filler then its been a waste of time going through the first 5 years.
Its only my opinion,youre welcome to have yours.

How is signing Steve J a waste of time? It has been obvious to this point that the club has lacked experience in the forward 50. Steve J's experience is about as good as it gets and he is coming off a 30 goal season averaging 20 disposals. We didn't have anyone come close to that.

Steve J included the best 22 will be picked each week so if others are up to it they get picked. It can only make the side stronger if players have to be playing at a higher level to make the 22 and the retain their place in it

We were 12th for inside 50s and 11th for goals.
Geelong was 11th for inside 50s and 7th for goals.

No other team had such a positive discrepancy. I'm not saying SJ is the cause, or the be all and end all, but I don't object to someone on field better able to help our conversion rate - which was very lacking at times this year. If he demands the ball the whole time though, I feel that the experiment will be a failure.

How is signing Steve J a waste of time? It has been obvious to this point that the club has lacked experience in the forward 50. Steve J's experience is about as good as it gets and he is coming off a 30 goal season averaging 20 disposals. We didn't have anyone come close to that.

Steve J included the best 22 will be picked each week so if others are up to it they get picked. It can only make the side stronger if players have to be playing at a higher level to make the 22 and the retain their place in it

For the last time.
By 2017 if this list is not ready,it will never be.
I hope he is the last 30 something player we NEED to sign

I will enjoy watching him in Giants colours but have to agree with some that i thought we were passed being a retirement village
How many people have to live in a small community before it can be classified a village?....Hope I don't end up in a village with one other guy.Would be frickin boring:)

We do need a spread of late 20s and early 30s year olds in the squad. But what we don't want to be is the nursery and transition to retirement club.

We also don't want to be Melbourne who had all the higher draft picks they could possibly want and no quality experienced players to help them develop to an elite level.

We have one of the youngest if not still the youngest list in the comp we are far from a a retirement club

For the last time.
By 2017 if this list is not ready,it will never be.
I hope he is the last 30 something player we NEED to sign

I don't think the club is look at 2017 to be ready. The club expects to be ready in 2016. There is now the quality and leadership across the park to be pushing the top 4 sides.

I don't think the club is look at 2017 to be ready. The club expects to be ready in 2016. There is now the quality and leadership across the park to be pushing the top 4 sides.

Exactly and heading into 2017 we will NOT a one year only over 30 player from another club.
sorry if i didnt write that clearly understandable enough.
Look at where our list will be in 2017 and enjoy 2016.
Fokker OUT.

Interesting set of views in this thread. As I have said, I think SJ's addion is a good thing. One kid that could really benefit from his experience is a player we don't mention much, Pat McKenna. Pat could easily be a SJ prototype, and as a project player, I'd be keen to see if SJ can have a positive impact on his development.

Interesting set of views in this thread. As I have said, I think SJ's addion is a good thing. One kid that could really benefit from his experience is a player we don't mention much, Pat McKenna. Pat could easily be a SJ prototype, and as a project player, I'd be keen to see if SJ can have a positive impact on his development.
I agree but from limited amount I saw it was probably his underdeveloped body holding him back.Hopefully gets a lot stronger this preseason

I guess we've been burnt a lot in the past with pre-retirement players in the past e.g. Thornton, Gilham, and to a lesser extent O'hailpin and Hunt.

The difference with Stevie J is that he's still a highly rated player, unlike the other retirement lifelines we've thrown in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back