Opinion Stevie J a good get? Yes/No?

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess we've been burnt a lot in the past with pre-retirement players in the past e.g. Thornton, Gilham, and to a lesser extent O'hailpin and Hunt.

The difference with Stevie J is that he's still a highly rated player, unlike the other retirement lifelines we've thrown in the past.
Yet Cornes, Power, Brogan and McDonald went ok. It is hit and miss, but tends not to cost a lot.

Yet Cornes, Power, Brogan and McDonald went ok. It is hit and miss, but tends not to cost a lot.
Different time,we had no games into our list of young players.
Now the list has Shaw,Davis,Griff,Mummy and most of the list has 50 games or better.

This is probably not the point
Not really the point being discussed with Drezdyn. The point we are discussing is whether they were contributors or not.
This is probably not the point either, (who knew we had to stay on topic), but Brett Thornton must be the lamest ever Giants signing.

Not really the point being discussed with Drezdyn. The point we are discussing is whether they were contributors or not.
Of course they were.A young list needs some experience,weve got that now its time to utilise the list we NOW have.

The list is still very inexperienced. Steve just is just one experienced player and the players we have will still play if good enough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our forward line has been desperate for some leadership which is why during the trade period we had discussions Whitecross, Monfries and Stevie and in the end we went with Stevie and i'm yet to see anything that suggest that will be a bad decision and in fact in year where we have a very challenging draw to make the finals he is exactly what we need in our forward line and with Stevie having his earliest start to a preseason in years I expect him to hit the ground running from round one.

Our forward line has been desperate for some leadership which is why during the trade period we had discussions Whitecross, Monfries and Stevie and in the end we went with Stevie and i'm yet to see anything that suggest that will be a bad decision and in fact in year where we have a very challenging draw to make the finals he is exactly what we need in our forward line and with Stevie having his earliest start to a preseason in years I expect him to hit the ground running from round one.
I'd love to see him fitter than he has been for a few years.

So what do u want from him? Leadership? Coaching? 30 goals? What equates to success?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunt was never a letdown in my eyes, and we got good service from fossil, brogan, power and the rig.

Mumford, Patfull and Shaw have been vital additions for us and setanta can't be judged due to his injury(he scored a few goals in his first game for us before injury).

The 'failures' were Thornton, gilham, Clifton, Reid and Addison.

Hunt was never a letdown in my eyes, and we got good service from fossil, brogan, power and the rig.

Mumford, Patfull and Shaw have been vital additions for us and setanta can't be judged due to his injury(he scored a few goals in his first game for us before injury).

Clifton wasn't a failure. Won a Liston medal, joined us as an original, played really well in 2011, had a run of injuries at the wrong time in 2012 (hand an then foot) and never got a proper crack, was delisted early. Went back to VFL and won another Liston medal. Always thought he deserved another year, but understand why they cut him.

Can't be counted with the other AFL cast offs and retirees.

I also think Reid is not a failure - he's the captain of our NEAFL side.

I think Hunt did a lot for the young defenders, and I was always happy with him at fullback. the way the boys came on this year had a lot to do with Heater in the team and I believe a lot of the experience of having Hunt in the team. Hope StevieJ does the same for the forwards this year.

Clifton wasn't a failure. Won a Liston medal, joined us as an original, played really well in 2011, had a run of injuries at the wrong time in 2012 (hand an then foot) and never got a proper crack, was delisted early. Went back to VFL and won another Liston medal. Always thought he deserved another year, but understand why they cut him.

Can't be counted with the other AFL cast offs and retirees.

I also think Reid is not a failure - he's the captain of our NEAFL side.
I understand Clifton performed well in the lower leagues but I meant afl level. I also thought his delisting was harsh.

Reid has been a great servant for our NEAFL team but again it's afl level where he failed in my eyes

You offered a top 10 pick for him last year, and got him for nothing this year. He was always going to have some sort of coaching role when he joined GWS anyway, I think he'll be a great pickup on the field. If you listen to Stevie talk about footy the guy is a genius, no doubt he'll move into a senior level coaching position within the next few years.

Gotta agree there. Hunt was great.

Addison and Gilham were my only let downs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back