* Still missing *Malaysian Airlines plane with 239 on board

Remove this Banner Ad

hahaha some of things in here are hilarious.
now tony abbot is wasting tax payers money, looking for the bloody thing.
Cant they put it to rest, its crashed in the ocean, everyones dead, they can stop talking about it now.

558759_599967016754609_108618778_n.jpg

Been found.

Apparently they picked up some pings from the plane on a satellite and used those to map out possible flight paths, one south towards the WA coast and one north towards Kazakhstan

I don't understand how they still can't work out which general direction it went in though, you'd think they'd at least know if it went north or south.

Cheers

150 pages gone and we are no closer to finding out what exactly happened to Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. This should be a real concern to frequent flyers. Who's to say something like this couldn't happen again tomorrow?...and the next day....and the next day etc....

Until we find out what exactly happened, it's a scary mystery to witness. Just when we finally think we have solved the mystery, it is immediately ruled out. Just when we think we have found a piece of debris, it turns out to be nothing but rubbish floating along the water. Just when we think we have spotted oil from the plane, it turns out to be oil from a ship. Just when we think someone has recovered a life boat from the flight, it turns out to be completely unrelated to the flight. Just when we think that it crashed immediately into the ocean, we find out that it travel for several hours after last contact.

I don't know if anyone agrees with this or not, but I don't think we'll find out what happened to this flight for at least a decade, if ever. :(

Who's to say something like this couldn't happen again tomorrow?

If this happened, it would be the truly scariest thing that has happened in my lifetime. Just image if flight XXX got 'lost' and never found tonight. The world would be in an absolute panic.

To me, the basic assumption has to be it was stolen, and taken and landed somewhere.

Thus far, there is absolutely zero evidence to the contrary. We know it was re-routed, we know it continued for 8 hours? or so after it deviated from its original path. There has been zero contact, no distress call nothing. It may be in the water somewhere, but right now we have zero evidence of that. From here, IMHO in the Indian Ocean somewhere is the best case scenario unfortunately.

There are just so many layers to this. Thinking holistically - there is a big issue at hand for the neighbouring countries ie India. No country is going to admit their 'defence shield' is utterly useless - so even though it may have flown through say India or wherever, they will probably hide this evidence. Not evidence that they know where it ultimately is, but admitting to the world their shield hardly exists is not good business.

This probably was the reason for the confusion early - Malaysia probably got evidence it turned and crossed the mainland, but they just did want to admit the embarrassing truth that it could do this and they had absolutely no frikken idea!

its alarming really.

150 pages gone and we are no closer to finding out what exactly happened to Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. This should be a real concern to frequent flyers. Who's to say something like this couldn't happen again tomorrow?...and the next day....and the next day etc....

Until we find out what exactly happened, it's a scary mystery to witness. Just when we finally think we have solved the mystery, it is immediately ruled out. Just when we think we have found a piece of debris, it turns out to be nothing but rubbish floating along the water. Just when we think we have spotted oil from the plane, it turns out to be oil from a ship. Just when we think someone has recovered a life boat from the flight, it turns out to be completely unrelated to the flight. Just when we think that it crashed immediately into the ocean, we find out that it travel for several hours after last contact.

I don't know if anyone agrees with this or not, but I don't think we'll find out what happened to this flight for at least a decade, if ever. :(

We will find out. It may not be tomorrow but it certainly won't be over a decade.

We can without doubt bookmark this mystery to be made into a Hollywood movie. We can also guarantee that Sunday Night will do a special on it.

As a slightly unrelated question, why does a plane only have one blackbox?

why not have several all with the same information as this would make the retrieval process slightly easier when a plan has a large debris field....

I'm surprised that European countries haven't joined the search yet. Unless some have and I'm not aware of it??

Also an oil slick was spotted in the Indian Ocean and noted the coordinates and the info was sent back to the Malaysian authorities.
The oil slick is probably from a ship but who knows. The tests will reveal if it's related to the plane or not.

Also there will be a press conference very shortly by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority on Sky News Australia.

why not have several all with the same information as this would make the retrieval process slightly easier when a plan has a large debris field....
I'm fairly sure planes have a few black boxes?
Does anyone know if there's a black box that picks up audio from the passengers??
That would be interesting in this situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair enough, they probably do. i just always assumed one.
I'm no expert lol but I was watching a 9/11 conspiracy doco and one of the guys said that all black boxes were found and there were 4 of them. So I'm sure a 777 in 2014 would have equal or more black boxes than a plane from 2001.

RE: Lack of phone calls, I've never gotten reception on a plane except during take off and landing once you get closer to land.

Is that the same for anyone else?

Once, flying from Singapore to Melbourne on my Blackberry when I left it on in my bag about a year ago. Living on the edge and all. Based on when the time-stamps from the emails came through (all at the same time), I would have been about an hour out of Melbourne to the west, probably approaching Adelaide at the time. Battery had about 5 minutes of juice left upon landing in Melbourne, when I usually get a couple of days out of it with little use.

Other times when using an iphone and getting bored on planes without the flight tracker as part of the inflight entertainment, I have taken pictures of the back of the seat to see if the phone can work out the location as that's how I roll. This never really worked except a couple of times flying over a Coal Mine in NSW. I now have various pictures in my photo library of seat backs.

This guys puts up a really good theory.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13cv1gohsmbv5jmy221vrfyiz3vdhbop04

Basically, sometime during flight the plane catches on fire. The transponder and other plane services get turned off one by one manually by the pilot to determine to source of the fire. When nothing seems to be working, and the plane is being filled with dense smoke, the pilot does a last ditch effort to quell the flames by flying the plane at 45,000ft (where there is little oxygen) but it doesn't work and the plane stalls, only for the pilot to recover at 23,000ft. The smoke/fire knocks out and ultimately kills everyone on board, and the plane keeps flying until it crashes.

The left turn is the key here. This was a very experienced senior Captain with 18,000 hours. Maybe some of the younger pilots interviewed on CNN didn't pick up on this left turn. We old pilots were always drilled to always know the closest airport of safe harbor while in cruise. Airports behind us, airports abeam us and airports ahead of us. Always in our head. Always. Because if something happens you don't want to be thinking what are you going to do - you already know what you are going to do. Instinctively when I saw that left turn with a direct heading I knew he was heading for an airport. Actually he was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi a 13,000 foot strip with an approach over water at night with no obstacles. He did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000 foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier towards Langkawi and also a shorter distance.

The reason why nobody used their phones to communicate, regardless of coverage, was because chances are everyone had already succumbed to the smoke.

Chances are that the Kiwi man who saw 'a plane on fire' on his oil rig was telling the truth, as well.

Basically, sometime during flight the plane catches on fire. The transponder and other plane services get turned off one by one manually by the pilot to determine to source of the fire. When nothing seems to be working, and the plane is being filled with dense smoke, the pilot does a last ditch effort to quell the flames by flying the plane at 45,000ft (where there is little oxygen) but it doesn't work and the plane stalls, only for the pilot to recover at 23,000ft. The smoke/fire knocks out and ultimately kills everyone on board, and the plane keeps flying until it crashes.

The reason why nobody used their phones to communicate, regardless of coverage, was because chances are everyone had already succumbed to the smoke.

Chances are that the Kiwi man who saw 'a plane on fire' on his oil rig was telling the truth, as well.

If there was already a fire turning off the instruments does nothing, why not just extinguish the fire.

I'm no expert lol but I was watching a 9/11 conspiracy doco and one of the guys said that all black boxes were found and there were 4 of them. So I'm sure a 777 in 2014 would have equal or more black boxes than a plane from 2001.

I think that meant 4 total for each plane

Each plane has 1 'black box' which is the voice recorder for the cockpit and the other is the data recorder which records all the planes instruments etc and will explain if a plane stalled of how it flew in its final moments etc

I dont think this is a big enough issue. The boxes would be pretty secured in a certain spot, if theres one at the back and front of the plane I dont think it'll make a massive difference in locating it if a plane breaks up midflight (which is still quite rare)

There is tech available that wouldve found the plane already had it been installed but it costs about 100k per plane and with the number of crashes and planes, its nowhere near cost effective. I guess the same principle applies with more data recording on current flights.

Surely at some point he'd radio the ground to advise of the fire.

Surely at some point he'd radio the ground to advise of the fire.
that was my first thought as well.

it would be extremely unlikely that someone is going to pull all the comm's devices without telling the tower unless they had something sinister in mind

Was I crazy to have flown with them as recently as 3 days ago? Trip was booked a couple of weeks back...
It was only Sing <> KL though, one of the shortest air routes in the world, so I figured it should be OK...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back