Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be surprised if Dimma tests out Moyle and Witts in the same team.
It will be interesting to see how Dimma handles it. If he plays them together in current 4 int + sub system, what does it mean for forward line? E.g., Lukosius, King, Walter + Witts, Moyle? Probably not. Can Moyle do something forward?

Don't think witts and Moyle will happen unless the 5 man bench is brought in, even then still unlikely. Mac Andrew and ethan read are the perfect x factor chop out ruck options but probably not quite there physically. Ideal world we keep Moyle on the list ready to replace witts but will be really hard to hold him when other clubs are desperate for ruckman.

Don't think witts and Moyle will happen unless the 5 man bench is brought in, even then still unlikely. Mac Andrew and ethan read are the perfect x factor chop out ruck options but probably not quite there physically. Ideal world we keep Moyle on the list ready to replace witts but will be really hard to hold him when other clubs are desperate for ruckman.
Yeah, I agree. We will probably lose Moyle. Unless Dimma decides to limit Witts load (he looks in half games exhausted and running on empty). Let's say give 8-10 games to Moyle.

That new coach, Damien Hardwick, has already identified a role for Budarick – one that brought a smile to the young Sun's face.

"I feel like my best is good enough to be playing AFL and I've got to prove that to 'Dimma' … and really make playing off half-back my position.

"We've had a few good chats.

"He sees me as similar to Jayden Short or Liam Baker, those boys he used to look after, as that ball-user off half-back.

"I've got to really make it my position and train the house down."

“I think they do (play finals for the first time),” Davis said on SEN Breakfast.

“I look at their team and I really don’t see too many weaknesses, especially if Ben King can take the next step.

“From the little whispers I’ve heard, I don’t think they feel as though they’ve been in a position like this with such a crystal clear game plan and an identity that they think will really stack up.

“I’m hearing that they’re absolutely loving it (under Hardwick). That’s nothing against Stuart Dew.
Davis believes that Hardwick will feed the Suns a diet of maniacal pressure around the ball, like he did with the Tigers, as it will give his team a higher chance of scoring more frequently.

“Pressure on the ball,” said Davis when asked which part of the Richmond model they will focus on the most.

“Because fundamentally, if you win the ball back in the back third or back 50 of your field, you’ve got 100-150 metres to move the ball every time.

“The best teams move the ball 80 metres to score because they turn it over closer to their goal. If you put pressure on the ball you’re going to limit their scoring but improve your scoring.

“That’s what they’ll be doing. They’ll be fanatical about it.”

420034762_863852269084509_4206554545323616612_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they pay me to make s**t memes I'm in.

Oh boy, Can't wait to hear what intellectual questions our boys will get asked.
Gives Dusty an even greater reason to ditch Richmond at the end of the year and head north to play under Dimma again. He hates doing interviews and you just know every Melbourne journo will be hounding him after games at the MCG.

Gold Coast defender Sean Lemmens believes the club has a clear direction for the future after triple-premiership coach Damien Hardwick attempts to lead the embattled Suns to its first finals appearance.
The former Tigers leader, who took the club to three premierships during his 14-season tenure, is deep in his first pre-season with the Suns after he stepped away from Richmond during the 2023 season.

Lemmens said the impact of Hardwick’s coaching was clear as the Suns ramp up preparations for their Opening Round clash against his old Tigers side.

“It’s a real fresh start, Dimma has been amazing, he’s a super clear coach on what he wants around his structure, set ups, game plan,” he said.

“So we’re grasping that well as a team and we’re moving forward really well.

Dimma is awesome at making us understand our individual roles and that sort of thing.

“Mine won’t change a whole lot, I’ll stay super competitive as I try to be and obviously try to give off some rebound when the time’s right.

“It’s pretty refreshed and we’re firing in the heat nice and early.”
Assistant coach Josh Drummond said the goal of the club, and its coaching panel, was clear.

“We all know what we’re here to do, we want to make the Gold Coast Suns a formidable club in this competition and that’s at AFL level,” he said.

“We’re a young club trying to learn how to win.

“There’s a lot of guys putting their hand up, I think having a new coach doesn’t hurt that in terms of a fresh set of eyes, a clean slate, whatever happened in the past, happened in the past.

“You can see why he (Hardwick) has had the success he has, the way he drives the program.

“He challenges me to come in and be better every day, which is a great environment to be in.

“The enthusiasm he brings has definitely been infectious.”

Forward and backline both with a few question marks, however, a forward line of King, Lukosius, Casboult/Walter, Rosas, Ainsworth, Humphrey isn’t lacking options (on paper at least) as much as it has been lacking any semblance of cohesion, gameplanning to optimise any of their strengths, or confidence to this point.

Even then, most teams only seemed to have 4-5 who kicked 20+ last year, so we’re about average there.

We do need to find a way to get goals easier, though, instead of fighting and scrapping for everything and then watching the opposition bang 5 in 5 minutes. (Also need to stop letting teams just go on those runs, but baby steps).

Like you said our forward line on paper is potentially very good, buts it's the connection from middle to forward that has the question marks. Still lack a bit of finesse with footskills but a gameplan to move the ball quickly through congestion to a free player will definitely help. Rather than the bomb and hope we are used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back