Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOLD COAST SUNS

Coach: Damien Hardwick

Captain: Touk Miller and Jarrod Witts

What happened in 2023?

A season of expectation quickly fell flat for the Suns, who became the sideshow of the AFL late in the season after sacking coach Stuart Dew before embarking on an around-the-world pursuit of Damien Hardwick.

Under interim coach Steven King they were once again in contention for finals late in the season, only to drop their final four games and finish on 10 wins for the campaign.

Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell enjoyed career-best seasons, while the Suns unearthed a star of the future in first-round pick Bailey Humphrey.

Jack Lukosius found his best position as a permanent key forward alongside Ben King, who enjoyed a solid campaign in his return from a knee injury.

Mac Andrew put his hand up as the third tall down back, while young midfielder Sam Flanders broke out in the second half of the season to add to the Suns’ engine room talent.

Where do they finish in 2024?

How quickly his playing group can adapt to Hardwick’s game plan could be the difference between finals or bust for the Suns in 2024.

It’s all positive coming out of pre-season so far but both players and coaching staff have been frank that it will take time to properly implement the new coach’s system.

The long-term outlook of the list improved substantially with the addition of four Suns Academy stars in the draft, however it may take time for them to make a proper impact at AFL level.

In Gold Coast’s favour is the age profile of its best players, the bulk of whom fall in the 24-29 range and are coming into their prime.

GOLD COAST BEST 23​

FB: C. Budarick, S. Collins, M. Andrew
HB: L. Weller, C. Ballard, W. Powell
C: B. Ellis, N. Anderson, S. Flanders
HF: M. Rosas, J. Lukosius, B. Humphrey
FF: B. Ainswerth, B. King, J. Walter
F: J. Witts, M. Rowell, T. Miller
INT: N. Holman, D. Swallow, J. Rogers, J. Jeffrey, B. Fiorini (sub)

Biggest improver in 2024?

Malcolm Rosas Jr is the one. He has all the talent to be a top line small forward in the AFL but hasn’t been able to find consistency so far in his career.

He comes with all the tools Hardwick likes in his pressure small forwards and should be given every opportunity to flourish under the new coach.

If he can improve his tank – as he declared late last season was his goal – then 2024 could be the year we glimpse Rosas’ true potential.

X-factor

Bailey Humphrey had 26 touches and a goal in just his seventh AFL game against eventual grand finalists the Brisbane Lions.

He showed so much potential so early that the Suns felt obligated to give him midfield minutes, despite the staggering depth in the position already.

Humphrey returned for his first full pre-season and cut 20 seconds from his 2km PB, declaring an intent to play even more through the middle in 2024.

Natural progression into his second season would make him must-watch in 2024.

Coach status

Gold Coast got its man with a monster six-year deal tying Hardwick to the Suns for the foreseeable future.

There is plenty of expectation on the shoulders of the triple-premiership coach, but the Suns have gone all-in on Hardwick and for better or worse will be tied to him over the journey.

Who is in last year of contract?

Alex Davies, Alex Sexton, Ben Ainsworth, Ben King, Bodhi Uwland, Brandon Ellis, Darcy Macpherson, Hewago Oea, James Tsitas, Jarrod Witts, Levi Casboult, Lloyd Johnston, Ned Moyle, Nick Holman, Oskar Faulkhead, Sam Clohesy, Sam Day, Sandy Brock, Sean Lemmens, Thomas Berry, Will Rowlands

We saw glimpses of it late last season under King. Really like the idea of Ainsworth playing that high half forward role who can quickly make his way into the middle of the ground to contribute but is also capable of finding space in the forward line where he can kick goals. The way Dew played him was far too restrictive IMO and he's a much better/more versatile player than what we've seen for the majority of his career to date. Fortunately for us he's the right age (25) to realise his potential so I'm expecting great things from Benny A in 2024.

Could see Humphrey starting centre bounce then floating forward while ainsworth pushes up through the middle to replace him. Similar to the dusty/ Lambert set up at the tigers.

We saw glimpses of it late last season under King. Really like the idea of Ainsworth playing that high half forward role who can quickly make his way into the middle of the ground to contribute but is also capable of finding space in the forward line where he can kick goals. The way Dew played him was far too restrictive IMO and he's a much better/more versatile player than what we've seen for the majority of his career to date. Fortunately for us he's the right age (25) to realise his potential so I'm expecting great things from Benny A in 2024.
BTW, Ben is out of contract.

With that cut and the video of him at the cricket, I can only assume Dimma has told Rowell he sees him as the next Clayton Oliver and Matty has taken that a bit too literally.

With that cut and the video of him at the cricket, I can only assume Dimma has told Rowell he sees him as the next Clayton Oliver and Matty has taken that a bit too literally.
As long as he doesn't take up Oliver's off field issues...

Didn’t take long for Humphrey to go with the Tatts

c6046f4e415c7fd1a83b6fcb0deab9c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast​

The Suns and Ben King’s management had set the start of the pre-season as the kick-off point for talks on a new deal.

A two-year extension to 2026 — and restricted free agency — would make the most sense for a player who again recently stated his future was at the Suns.

In a year full of challenges where he came off a knee reconstruction, had some mid-season niggles and then had his campain shut down early, he still kicked 40 goals in 20 games.

His upside is obvious and so is his price tag — around $1 million to $1.1 million a season.

Nick Holman is an unrestricted free agent and is a Suns glue guy, so they would be clever to take him off the board early given the tackling fiend only turns 29 in May.

The ruck situation is truly fascinating.

Star first ruck Jarrod Witts comes out of contract, VFL ruck Ned Moyle has a heap of rival admirers and star teen Ethan Read arrives with a huge tank and a capacity to play ruck or centre half-back.

The Suns dream is to recontract Witts, convince Moyle he is Witts’ successor and still play Read early and often.

It would not surprise if a rival offered Moyle a longer-term deal and the chance to play regularly, but he’s only 21 so has time on his side if he chooses to stay.

Crazy Moyle only 21.
But money will come.

It’s a little harder with the fact Witt’s is a captain.
Probably time for Witts to give away captaincy. He is 31. Miller as a sole captain and Anderson vice-captain for me.

Hopefully, AFL will change rule and go with 5 subs. That would probably allow us to play Witts and Moyle on the same team.

I can't see Moyle waiting 2-3 more years for getting regular games. Although, IMO, he still have a long way to go with tank and adding skills outside middle craft. He did not show really too much forward.

So, my guess is we will lose Moyle and end up eventually with Read and Andrew as rucks. OK with me.

Probably time for Witts to give away captaincy. He is 31. Miller as a sole captain and Anderson vice-captain for me.

Hopefully, AFL will change rule and go with 5 subs. That would probably allow us to play Witts and Moyle on the same team.

I can't see Moyle waiting 2-3 more years for getting regular games. Although, IMO, he still have a long way to go with tank and adding skills outside middle craft. He did not show really too much forward.

So, my guess is we will lose Moyle and end up eventually with Read and Andrew as rucks. OK with me.

Anderson will be co captain with Touk whenever Witt’s steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back