Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A near identical thing happened to GWS in 2016 with their four first rounders. They drafted Taranto with pick 2 they traded in and secured pick 5 Will Setterfield, pick 14 Harry Perryman and pick 20 Isaac Cumming through their academy access. This was also in a season they lost a close home prelim to the Bulldogs. People were outraged and the AFL adjusted their academy access accordingly which is when people stopped complaining about GWS. Now we find ourselves in a very similar situation. The AFL are about to change the northern academy access and if it's deemed fair by the footy public then they won't have a good reason to hate.
You're not from Victoria then are you.
They will hate, it's part of the sport.

You're not from Victoria then are you.
They will hate, it's part of the sport.
We'll see. There will always be haters in any walk of life but those lists imply that the haters of the northern teams/academies represent a minority down south. It's also about how your team is perceived publicly e.g. I would guess the general perception of affluence and arrogance associated with West Coast has resulted in that club not being particularly liked by the footy public according to those lists. I'd argue the same about Port Adelaide being perceived as arrogant even though they don't have an affluent history like the Eagles. Outside of our academy access, which is currently being addressed by the AFL, there's really no good reason to hate us as a club. We're not perceived as arrogant or difficult to deal with (Essendon) so as long as the AFL appeases the footy public in terms of our access to academy stars then I'm fairly confident we'll remain pretty likeable on a list like that, even when we start winning regularly.

We'll see. There will always be haters in any walk of life but those lists imply that the haters of the northern teams/academies represent a minority down south. It's also about how your team is perceived publicly e.g. I would guess the general perception of affluence and arrogance associated with West Coast has resulted in that club not being particularly liked by the footy public according to those lists. I'd argue the same about Port Adelaide being perceived as arrogant even though they don't have an affluent history like the Eagles. Outside of our academy access, which is currently being addressed by the AFL, there's really no good reason to hate us as a club. We're not perceived as arrogant or difficult to deal with (Essendon) so as long as the AFL appeases the footy public in terms of our access to academy stars then I'm fairly confident we'll remain pretty likeable on a list like that, even when we start winning regularly.
Did you not read what I said? Success brings hate. You can spout off about why we should be liked but the simple fact of the matter is, the more you win, the more you are disliked.

Based on? Brisbane are only 0.6% behind us on that list and they just made the GF + have been a top four team for around five years now. GWS are top of that list and have made the finals in six of the last eight seasons which includes a GF in 2019.
The Sun's are not currently seen as a threat. When they are beating other supporters teams regularly then they will be disliked.

Did you not read what I said? Success brings hate. You can spout off about why we should be liked but the simple fact of the matter is, the more you win, the more you are disliked.
The Sun's are not currently seen as a threat. When they are beating other supporters teams regularly then they will be disliked.
I understand winning causes more hate but Brisbane is third on that list and they just made the GF so that proves you can win regularly and still be well liked. GWS have also won a lot over the last eight years and are top of that list.

I understand winning causes more hate but Brisbane is third on that list and they just made the GF so that proves you can win regularly and still be well liked. GWS have also won a lot over the last eight years and are top of that list.
Neither club have won a flag. Brisbane haven't been seen as a threat because up until this season they have been a finals failure every season.
And I just think, like us, no-one cares about GWS.

Neither club have won a flag. Brisbane haven't been seen as a threat because up until this season they have been a finals failure every season.
Great. So until we win a flag there won't be mass hate. Then when do win a flag we won't care because winners are grinners.

Not many worry about brisbane in melbourne because they have stuggled at the G for decades. So if you are playing bris there, teams dont generally have too many worries and thus become irrelevant.
Sides only see Bris a threat at the gabba.

Winning does breed arrogance and hate. If you experience that, you know you've made it lol

Last edited:
Not many worry about brisbane in melbourne because they have stuggled at the G for decades. So if you are playing bris there, teams dont generally have too many worries and thus become irrelevant.

Winning does breed arrogance and hate. If you experience that, you know you've made it lol

Also I would say the Fitzroy connection Victorians still froth over Fitzroy for some reason

They were a couple s**t decisions from winning the gf against your team on your home deck so probably ease back

Also I would say the Fitzroy connection Victorians still froth over Fitzroy for some reason
Yeah, but bris don't recognise that side of the merger as much as swans recognise south melb. I have a friend who is a lions/fitzroy fan and never pleased at the lack of recognition they give old fitzroy fans, and of course not as many games in melb.

But there is that support in vic at least.

Bloody hell, we still have a crappy lease agreement with QLD government. I thought it was re-negotiated and a better deal was put in place like 4-5 years ago.

“However, the impacts of our lease agreement for the Stadium, provide significant challenges for us a football club and we must continue to find ways for a better resolution moving forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning you over, I didn’t know a 3 time premiership coach had to convince a guy that’s done…………ummm

I know it probably not what he meant but if it’s entitlement I hope Dimma slaps it out of him
I didn’t read it as entitled.

Luko signed a decent extension under a previous coach, so was obviously happy enough (at the time, at least).

I think it’s fair that it would take some time for Dimma to click or “win them over”. Some will do so quicker than others, possibly depending on their relationship with Dew.

I’d expect the same of any management changeover in any profession—especially so with a changeover as messy as our’s was…

Players do keep mentioning “playing to their strengths.” Wonder what that actually means in a game plan though. Will be interesting.

Winning you over, I didn’t know a 3 time premiership coach had to convince a guy that’s done…………ummm

I know it probably not what he meant but if it’s entitlement I hope Dimma slaps it out of him
I think you're reading into it too much.

Obviously, the boys all know Dimma's credentials coming into this era but it's one thing to read about it and it's a completely different thing to experience it in the flesh, The moment it clicks and it becomes "Oh THAT'S why this guy is so good"

There's a level of trust that needs to be built up on both sides. Sounds like Dimma is putting a lot of runs on the board in quick order.

Admittedly the content has been much better this year, but how great is it seeing the coach so involved throughout drills and bouncing around taking guys aside to work with them all. Can see why it would give a new lease on life for some guys.

Also, it’s only a few clips from the first few weeks of pre-season, but fully expecting Uwland breakout season in ‘24.

Admittedly the content has been much better this year, but how great is it seeing the coach so involved throughout drills and bouncing around taking guys aside to work with them all. Can see why it would give a new lease on life for some guys.

Also, it’s only a few clips from the first few weeks of pre-season, but fully expecting Uwland breakout season in ‘24.

Would like to see Bodhi develop into All Australian calibre Luke Ryan both pretty similar but Ryan demands the football more. Going off that clip Dimma wants the same

Usual pre-season hype. Fans of all other 17 teams do the same :cool:

I learned from the past. It will be tough to make finals. 15-16 teams believe they can make it (most fans of all teams actually believe they can make finals). Most teams improve.

Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne, Swans, GWS, Carlton, Port look all like probable for finals unless some teams get hit by injuries and it opens up more spots.

So, that would be Crows, WB, Suns, Essendon, Freo, Saints vying for that last 1-2 spots. Even Cats and Richmond believe as Hawks do.

Players need to learn new system and take a next step. We did not bring any ready-made players to improve list. Academy kids will take some time to rely on them. Players like Jeffrey, Rosas, Budarick have to take a next step.

And we need some luck with injuries. King not re-signing yet and just jogging on the side-line does not fill me with confidence.

Last edited:

We’re gonna play finals, aren’t we

Fair to say Dimma likes what he sees with Uwland, Jeffrey and Walter. We know Uwland and Jeffrey are pretty good kicks of the footy and I'd say Dimma knows we need that in order for his attacking game plan to work. The way he was talking to Walter gave the impression that he intends on playing him at full forward so he'll likely be getting on the end of a lot of kicks from good users of the ball like Luko, Jeffrey and potentially Uwland. You can already see the difference in the game plan just by watching a clip like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back