Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under Pressure.

20120730-matera1.jpg

While SUNS coach Bluey McKenna would be able to hum along with the 1980s pop song - none of his players were born when the hit by UK stars David Bowie and Queen was first in the charts.

But they certainly learnt a lot about the concept on Saturday night against the Sydney Swans at Metricon Stadium.

The SUNS have been highly competitive over the past month but had no answer to the relentless pressure applied by the Swans.

McKenna reckons it was a notch above anything his men had encountered this year and was the clear difference between the two sides.

As tough as the 72 point loss was to take, forward Brandon Matera said the side had leaned a valuable lesson against the AFL ladder leaders that could prove beneficial in the future.

"It is just their pressure," he said.

"They are just so good in that area, they are at the top of the table and that is why.

We think we've been going pretty good but that just shows us where we have got to get to.

Although the loss appears on paper to be a set back after an encouraging second half of the season, Matera said it had not shaken the young side's belief that they were starting to take some positive steps in their development.

Nor did he believe the side was starting to tire and was vulnerable to a late season fade-out.

I think the team is pretty confident at the moment, over the past month we have played pretty good footy and we go into every game thinking we can win it,

"I don't think we're tired, we are starting to know each other more.

"I think that is starting to show."

The West Aussie produced his most productive game of the season with three goals, to be among the SUNS' best.

The SUNS play Melbourne and GWS in the coming weeks - two games their fans will have high hopes could end with the singing of the club song.

Although the expectation of a win is an unusual occurrence for the second year club, Matera said the side would not be feeling any extra external pressure.

"We won't think about that, we just focus on what we need to work on," he said.

"And that is playing for four quarters."

Obviously on the weekend we played the top team and we learnt a lot, hopefully we can take those lessons into the next couple of weeks.

Do you guys find it offensive when journos like Mark Robinson says on AFL 360 "I've given up on the expansion teams. Can't watch 100 point maulings each week"?
2 things.
1. So much for supporting the AFL and helping grow the league by giving the 'expansion teams' some latitude.
2. It steels my determination and ignites my passion do much. Can't wait to develop and really start making idiots like him show us some respect!

Not particularly.

This is something I keep reminding some of our other posters about, who read articles that say that the Suns are terrible or have no future, or are worse than GWS. List goes on.

Guys like Mark Robinson, Mike Sheehan, Paul Roos, Gerard Healy, Ralphy, etc. etc. do not watch the Suns play. If they do, it's not very often at all. Do you honestly think Robbo watched the Suns/Swans game over the Tigers/Blues game which was on at the same timeslot? Please.

They will watch highlights of the game, probably enough to get an idea of what happened so that they can make a general statement on it. But what this means is that they will miss the moments that make us excited, to show that there is something genuinely awesome cooking. Perhaps 5-10 minutes of fantastic footy. Or maybe a half of competitive stuff, with good signs being shown.

This is blatantly obvious when you read articles in the Herald Sun, or listen to the guys on 360 or On The Couch. Case in point when the OTC boys were talking about Swallow being at the end of contract at the end of this year and us needing to re-sign him, and him likely to leave. Not only was he out of contract NEXT year, but he signed a few days later. They just have no idea.

So, bit of advice, do not listen to any interstate journo. ;) I realize that might be difficult to do in Victoria, but unfortunately, most of the time they have no clue, simply because they don't watch the games or follow the clubs.

If you want an actual, decent opinion on how things are shaping, pay attention to AFL's Mike Whiting. He's the journo for the AFL in charge of Brisbane and Gold Coast publishings, and being a local that actually visits the clubs and watches the games, has much more of an informed idea.

Nick Smart who currently writes for the Herald Sun also has a pretty good idea of what's going on. He used to be the chief AFL writer for the Gold Coast Bulletin. So if you pick up the HS, only read his stuff if it's Suns related. :p Spent a lot of time with the club.

But as far as the panel shows go, forget it. The only guy who watches our games who gets regular screen time is Alistair Lynch, and unfortunately, it's not much.

Try and ignore it, and just put it down to their own ignorance.

Yeah you're probably right Sunny. I was thinking about what you said when I was watching Insider. Dermie Brereton was saying that the Suns don't have a platform of players to build from, and are tanking for the number one pick. He sort of rhetorically asked "who are even their forwards?". Lynchy straight off the bat goes "Day and Lynch". Dermie was just like "fair enough then".
So yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head!

Yeah you're probably right Sunny. I was thinking about what you said when I was watching Insider. Dermie Brereton was saying that the Suns don't have a platform of players to build from, and are tanking for the number one pick. He sort of rhetorically asked "who are even their forwards?". Lynchy straight off the bat goes "Day and Lynch". Dermie was just like "fair enough then".
So yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head!

Dermie also worked with the Giants as a forward mentor/coach I believe? So he is familiar with them a lot more than the Suns.

To be honest, none of our younger brigade are really making waves in our games as some of the Giants are? I think we have been performing well as a team the last 4-5 weeks, while Giants have had a few standout consistent kids. Similar to our first year with Smith, McKenzie, Swallow all having quite consistent years.

Back to Suns in the Media
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143078/default.aspx
THE BATTLE to secure talented West Australian midfielder Jack Martin is being fought by four clubs in dealings that could see Gold Coast part with its first pick at this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Martin is the outstanding candidate for this year's GWS mini-draft, which allows the Giants to trade away the rights to nominated players who are born between January 1 and April 30 in 1995.

Hype around the 17-year-old midfielder has grown rapidly in recruiting circles and he is considered a near certainty to nominate for the mini-draft ahead of Wednesday's deadline.

Gold Coast, the Western Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne are the clubs seen as most likely to make a play for Martin, who was named in this year's under-18 All Australian team.

The Suns, however, hold the trump card if they choose to put their first pick in this year's Draft on the table. Should they remain in 17th position on the ladder, that would be pick No.2.

Recruiters and list managers have indicated that a top-10 pick at the Draft and a second strong pick or player would likely be required as a minimum for Martin.

First-round compensation picks held by Melbourne and the Bulldogs after they lost established players to the Giants put them in the mix.

Geelong can deal its remaining first-round compensation pick, which was received for the loss of Gary Ablett and has not been activated for this year's Draft.

West Coast and Fremantle are unlikely to be in a position to compete for the local product.

Some recruiters believe Martin is the second best junior prospect in the country, behind likely No.1 draft pick Lachie Whitfield, and he would be worthy of the Suns' first selection in this year's Draft.

The midfielder is compared by recruiters to Gold Coast's Harley Bennell because of his run and carry ability, but he is seen as a more complete player who has a strong clearance game. He is also strong overhead for his size.

The teenager has returned home to Geraldton for the rest of the season to finish his year 12 studies and won't play any more colts football with WAFL club Claremont.

Should he join a club via the mini-draft, Martin won't be able to play at AFL level in 2013 under the same arrangement that saw Jaeger O'Meara (Gold Coast) and Brad Crouch (Adelaide) drafted last year.

It is a system that Martin's manager, Jason Dover, said could work for the teenager if he is recruited into the right environment.

However, it is possible he would remain in WA for the first 12 months of any deal if that didn't happen.

"We need to make a decision by Wednesday as to whether Jack nominates or not and part of that decision is weighting up which clubs are likely to figure for this," Dover told AFL.com.au.

"If it looks like the deal is done with the wrong club and we don't believe it would be best for Jack's development, then there is every chance that he'll stay in WA for that 12 months.

"Having a year in the system and developing a lot of the positive habits would be perfect for him in the right environment and with the right plan around him.

"I can see it working really well for a player like Jack, it's just trying to get him into the right environment."

I'm starting to get concerned with Clayton as our recruiter, he was the list manager at the Bulldogs and you look at who they've picked up. All agile/atheletic outside type players, bar Boyd/Cross. You look at our list, and we've got primiarly agile/atheletic outside type players as well?

Dermie also worked with the Giants as a forward mentor/coach I believe? So he is familiar with them a lot more than the Suns.

To be honest, none of our younger brigade are really making waves in our games as some of the Giants are? I think we have been performing well as a team the last 4-5 weeks, while Giants have had a few standout consistent kids. Similar to our first year with Smith, McKenzie, Swallow all having quite consistent years.

Back to Suns in the Media
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143078/default.aspx

I'm starting to get concerned with Clayton as our recruiter, he was the list manager at the Bulldogs and you look at who they've picked up. All agile/atheletic outside type players, bar Boyd/Cross. You look at our list, and we've got primiarly agile/atheletic outside type players as well?

Good point, I understand he has complete control also. Ie, no one such as board/coaches can over rule him on drafting decisions.

I support going after Martin but hope we dont keep piling up on kids. You dont win premierships with a team full of teenagers...

Clayton recruited a big chunk of the Brisbane Lions' triple Premiership team & then a big chunk of the Bulldogs' triple Preliminary Finalist teams.
Alastair Lynch named this All Clayton team back in 2008, chosen from players Clayton introduced to AFL footy.
B: Lindsay Gilbee, Brian Lake, Ryan Griffin;
HB: Chris Scott, Justin Leppitsch, Nigel Lappin;
C: Daniel Cross, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis;
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn, Luke Power;
F: Craig McRae, Daniel Bradshaw, Robert Murphy;
R: Matthew Clarke, Adam Cooney, Simon Black.
INT: Beau McDonald, Darryl White, Ryan Hargrave, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris, Shane O'Bree.
There are certainly a lot of agile/athletic outside type players, but there are some hard nuts amongst them too. That team also doesn't include players he recruited from within the AFL system, such as Lynch from Fitzroy to Brisbane & Ben Hudson from Adelaide to the Bulldogs.
I don't think you have to worry about Scotty's recruiting skills.

The hype machine pumping up some of the Giants kids is a bit overboard IMO. Hearing the fools on AFL Insider and they don't know as much as they'd like to think they do.

Clayton recruited a big chunk of the Brisbane Lions' triple Premiership team & then a big chunk of the Bulldogs' triple Preliminary Finalist teams.
Alastair Lynch named this All Clayton team back in 2008, chosen from players Clayton introduced to AFL footy.
B: Lindsay Gilbee, Brian Lake, Ryan Griffin;
HB: Chris Scott, Justin Leppitsch, Nigel Lappin;
C: Daniel Cross, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis;
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn, Luke Power;
F: Craig McRae, Daniel Bradshaw, Robert Murphy;
R: Matthew Clarke, Adam Cooney, Simon Black.
INT: Beau McDonald, Darryl White, Ryan Hargrave, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris, Shane O'Bree.
There are certainly a lot of agile/athletic outside type players, but there are some hard nuts amongst them too. That team also doesn't include players he recruited from within the AFL system, such as Lynch from Fitzroy to Brisbane & Ben Hudson from Adelaide to the Bulldogs.
I don't think you have to worry about Scotty's recruiting skills.
I know what your saying FP, but the game evolves. When with Brisbane mid/late 90s you can see the stark difference in that he recruited "footballers" and early 00's as the game was getting faster started to recruit agile/atheletic players, and continueing with that theme with the Suns.

I really like our list dont get me wrong, and I still believe its superior to the Giants with probably more flexibility and scope for improvement then theirs also.

I know what your saying FP, but the game evolves. When with Brisbane mid/late 90s you can see the stark difference in that he recruited "footballers" and early 00's as the game was getting faster started to recruit agile/atheletic players, and continueing with that theme with the Suns.

I really like our list dont get me wrong, and I still believe its superior to the Giants with probably more flexibility and scope for improvement then theirs also.
I also have to stick up for him, because he played for Fitzroy. :)

Our list is still a work in progress. There has been an emphasis on runners, with good kicking skills, but we've also got a few hard bodies, like Bock, Hunt & big Dicko amongst them. We'll need more strength, but maybe the likes of Day, Lynch, Gorringe, May & even Weller might develop into this type. If not, we might have to alter the recruiting focus.

I still think our recruiting is in good hands. I think Clayton did really well to get back the priority picks that were given to the clubs we pinched our uncontracted players from. That was very clever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The highlighted bit in this article made me chuckle :)

"THE Gold Coast Suns' historic first home victory has the city buzzing with predictions the young team has the guts to win the premiership within three years.

The long-awaited victory -- so long in fact that the fireworks bought to celebrate such a win had passed their use-by date and had to be replaced with fresh ones -- came at the expense of the Greater Western Sydney Giants, beaten by 30 points at Metricon Stadium on Saturday by the Coast's own."
read the rest here:
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/08/13/436553_gold-coast-lead-story.html

We wont be top 4 until we improve our facilities.

Most clubs these days in the AFL have multi million dollar facilities, we operate out of a tin shed literally.

The proposed 7mil training centre cant come fast enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back