Swann's Song: The Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Chairman's email to members just arrived in the in box - says Swann will be reviewing it with priority.

Swann as CEO, Matthews in his ear .... I would think that Swann will hopefully convince him to become the next Chairman. Hard to think with them the top 2, we could have a better front off the field. I was keen on Gorman but I feel that Swann is now the right appointment at this time in our club.

Swann as CEO, Matthews in his ear .... I would think that Swann will hopefully convince him to become the next Chairman. Hard to think with them the top 2, we could have a better front off the field. I was keen on Gorman but I feel that Swann is now the right appointment at this time in our club.
Wheels are in motion, Lethal may already be playing that role in a quasi manner - he was key in the appointment of Swann.

Well I bet my bottom dollar our old CEO wouldn't have been able to emphasize our cap space by stating we'd have more than anyone else in the comp. Simply because he'd have no bloody idea. The fact Swan happy tells you how it is means he knows AFL footy and how the system works. No AFL player manager or AFL administrator is going to be able to take him for a ride.

This is what a mix of football and business brains does for your club. Cuts out all the bull s**t and avoids any amateur hour embarrassments.

Our list is heading in the right direction and our big boss knows what hell he is doing. It is rather exciting to tell you the truth.

Well I bet my bottom dollar our old CEO wouldn't have been able to emphasize our cap space by stating we'd have more than anyone else in the comp. Simply because he'd have no bloody idea. The fact Swan happy tells you how it is means he knows AFL footy and how the system works. No AFL player manager or AFL administrator is going to be able to take him for a ride.

This is what a mix of football and business brains does for your club. Cuts out all the bull s**t and avoids any amateur hour embarrassments.

Our list is heading in the right direction and our big boss knows what hell he is doing. It is rather exciting to tell you the truth.
Totally agree Dom. I can't remember ever hearing Holmes on SEN let alone talking AFL with authority and knowledge

Totally agree Dom. I can't remember ever hearing Holmes on SEN let alone talking AFL with authority and knowledge
Mal thought a lot of room in the cap was ill-fitting headwear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the things that show he knows about footy clubs I thought this appearance on Footy Fix was probably the biggest. I know it doesn't seem like much but it just goes to show Swann knows about being accessible and seen by supporters and that being a CEO of a footy club is more than just working in the background.

Of all the things that show he knows about footy clubs I thought this appearance on Footy Fix was probably the biggest. I know it doesn't seem like much but it just goes to show Swann knows about being accessible and seen by supporters and that being a CEO of a footy club is more than just working in the background.

I know this show is a bit a of fun and essentially a piss-around, but I was kind of hoping for a little more than a one second 'how are you?' and maybe just one or two questions regarding his hopes for the future.

I know this show is a bit a of fun and essentially a piss-around, but I was kind of hoping for a little more than a one second 'how are you?' and maybe just one or two questions regarding his hopes for the future.

if you watch the outtakes it seems like he came on a bit last minute, sort of sprung it on the two of them so I don't think him being on was actually planned which makes it even better from Swann. Its almost the end of the season but I'd love to see him on the Fancast with Mike Whiting and Dom Fay. Might be a bit hard that one though given there's probably only one or two more shows in the season left.

if you watch the outtakes it seems like he came on a bit last minute, sort of sprung it on the two of them so I don't think him being on was actually planned which makes it even better from Swann. Its almost the end of the season but I'd love to see him on the Fancast with Mike Whiting and Dom Fay. Might be a bit hard that one though given there's probably only one or two more shows in the season left.

He already has been on the fancast I think!

He already has been on the fancast I think!

Really? how the heck did I miss that? I have been sick all this week but i'm pretty sure i wasn't delirious. Next thing you know someones going to tell me I'm not really at work today.!

Hopefully as well as trading for Beams and Ryder, Swann has aggresively been hunting down a senior assistant and/or a list manager.

Hopefully as well as trading for Beams and Ryder, Swann has aggresively been hunting down a senior assistant and/or a list manager.

Hope we have made contact with Bomber. Looks like he still has plenty to give footy but is sick of the circus in Melbourne.

Yeah I think his press conference last night was almost the highlight of the year. What an extraordinarily honest emotional and empathetic summery of what the players have faced and the club has been going through. Such passion for the players that has obviously been pushed behind a wall of managing the situation and the public face of the club. First time I have felt that the blame was not pushed to others and I am staggered that the penny has not dropped for that club and they are staying the path to #standbyhird.
He seems like he would compliment Leppa magnificently but really doubt it will happen sadly.

Talks are also underway to lure former Lion Craig Lambert back to the club.

Lambert and his wife Melissa are revered at the Gabba where, during their long stint in welfare at the club throughout the Leigh Matthews years, Brisbane rarely lost players.

Greats of the premiership era who arrived at the club via the draft during that time, such as Black, Jonathan Brown and Luke Power, rarely miss an opportunity to sing the praises of Lambert, who also played for Brisbane.

Lambert has a year to run in his role at GWS but an approach has been made to their general manager of football, Graeme Allan, who was footy manager during three premierships at the Lions, to see if the Giants are open to releasing him. Those talks continue.

Phwoar!

Hope we have made contact with Bomber. Looks like he still has plenty to give footy but is sick of the circus in Melbourne.
I really doubt he would leave Melbourne - just a feeling - kids are there - I've enjoyed him this year because he hasn't had to put on a face - it's been 24 weeks of "For One Night Only" because he knew it was only ever going to be for one year - win lose or draw. press Conferences have been classic and his appearances on 360 have been open and honest.

Last edited:
As far back as the AFL/Club sanctions last year, he seemed worn down and pissed off at the club and Hird. His recent comment about Ryder being "Hird's problem", has me convinced that it is not just the media circus that he is tired of. I doubt he can get out of that club quick enough. I reckon he would be so dirty about everything his beloved club has done and the golden child has done to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back