News Swans Talk in the Media Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we both agree except I don't think the club would be unwilling to let him go if he wanted out at or above market value. Even slightly under... If a player doesn't want to play for your club and is desperate to play with another club (i.e. to play a few games with big bro before he retires) then there's no point not making it happen. Even if it's a little under. In any event. We keep Jones and becomes a star is the option I like & want the club to make happen.

I agree, he is one player that I recon with thrive in the Swans side and play 200+ games.

I think we both agree except I don't think the club would be unwilling to let him go if he wanted out at or above market value. Even slightly under... If a player doesn't want to play for your club and is desperate to play with another club (i.e. to play a few games with big bro before he retires) then there's no point not making it happen. Even if it's a little under. In any event. We keep Jones and becomes a star is the option I like & want the club to make happen.
If we accept unders clubs will see this as weakness at the trading table and we will be bullied in future deals. The perception will be of you really want a player from the Swans, just go get him as swans will cave for unders.

If we accept unders clubs will see this as weakness at the trading table and we will be bullied in future deals. The perception will be of you really want a player from the Swans, just go get him as swans will cave for unders.

We won't accept under, meaning a top 10 pick (ideally higher). Their first rounder would be about right. However I HATE this idea that the higher the pick, the better the player. Rubbish. I'd take 150-200 games (guaranteed) from Jones over a 'might be a gun' pick 7 in 2015...

We won't accept under, meaning a top 10 pick (ideally higher). Their first rounder would be about right. However I HATE this idea that the higher the pick, the better the player. Rubbish. I'd take 150-200 games (guaranteed) from Jones over a 'might be a gun' pick 7 in 2015...
Yes I agree with this. I really think this kid can be something. He has Hodge style presence on the field something we lack.

Yes I agree with this. I really think this kid can be something. He has Hodge style presence on the field something we lack.

Reminds me so much of Brad Sewell actually. People under estimate his skills, and he is tough, in and under and just a very good solid team player. You need those player.

I agree but unfortunately it does not work like that. If Jones gets 10 or more games this season then he will hold his value on the trade market. If however he only plays 2 or 3 games then we will get a second rounder for him at best.

I agree but unfortunately it does not work like that. If Jones gets 10 or more games this season then he will hold his value on the trade market. If however he only plays 2 or 3 games then we will get a second rounder for him at best.
Melbourne will have the room to offer him stupid sums of money ala jed lamb. They dangle that carrot and we have zero chance of retaining him. I hope he stays. Will replace shaw by seasons end.

Melbourne will have the room to offer him stupid sums of money ala jed lamb. They dangle that carrot and we have zero chance of retaining him. I hope he stays. Will replace shaw by seasons end.
I think it'll be a combination of games he plays, how he plays in Sydney, what we offer, they offer and how Melbourne are going. If we make the 4 again and Melbourne only win 5 games and he plays a lot of games, he will stay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McVeigh can play for another 5years he is never injured and doesnt rely on pace.

If Macca plays 5 more years then our group of next big things will have amounted to nought.
Lloyd and Cunningham have had the grounding to step up to the big time next year.
McVeigh, Bird and McGlynn will make way for Jones, Hewett and Heeney.

Yes. Currently, the AFL has compelled us to only make negative trades - trading down in quality and experience for raw picks in the draft (which are unusable if we are to remain true to the Academy players anyway under existing rules, and most likely IMPOSSIBLE to use when Academy rules are made dramatically more onerous this year).

Simultaneously, equalisation allows cap space for big contracts to be offered by opponents to help them strip mine our list.

It's effectively a punishment for draft tampering.

What happened at the Commission hearing? Silence...

We'll bend other clubs over by taking players that want to be part of our system.
The fact is that we thrive on taking players in the 23-25 years of age bracket.
There are plenty wanting a chance.
Mattner, Teddy, etc, etc, etc,.

Stop fearing because we will be a serious threat again in the next few years.

They all want what we have. Great club culture!

We'll be able to sell it to them!

Malceski is an example.
The guy is 30. He is milking GC for plenty as a 30YO for 3 years. We were given a great pick for such an aged player.

Have a real good think about it folks.
We lost a loved player yet have been well reimbursed while at the same time, forcing another club to look after Mal!

Mal leaving was never a problem. The club would always sponsor that move.

It's not losing the player that hurts, though, it's not getting a Patfull style player in trade that does the damage (if a replacement was required to maintain competitiveness).

Good on them. Copped some s**t. But Buddy could well only be here because of her. Glad for them.

I don't see Jones leaving. I've read a few things that suggest that he's very competitive with his brothers (a pretty standard trait in elite athletes), and given that Nathan's already established himself as a captain and multiple b+f winner at Melbourne I can't see Zak wanting to go there only to spend years in his shadow - breaking into an extremely competitive Sydney midfield and perhaps getting a flag in the process seems like a much better way to "one up" his big bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back