That time of year again - rate your top 10 RUCKMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I wasn't an eagles supporter so it doesn't look like some freo hate thread, but sandilands biggest genetic gift is his height plain and simple if he was 200cm he wouldn't near as "good".
Yeah because having the athleticism Naitanui has for a 200cm player isn't a genetic gift.

Right now there is a clear first and a few others competing for second best.

Forget marks, goals, possessions and any other largely irrelevant stat - the best is the bloke who is consistently putting on the chest of his rovers.

Right now that guy is 211cm tall and is a street above the rest

I argued thick and thin in 2012 NN was the best ruck for the same reason. Right now Sandi is palming the ball better than ever. He had a left handed reverse palm to advantage last night - something he certainly wasn't doing only a few years ago.

Sandi is #1 then i would have Goldstein,Mumford,Jacobs and Martin all pretty much level.

Nic Nat is building nicely and would expect him to come into AA calculations later on in the season.

People place way too much emphasis on disposals, mark and goals when rating ruckmen IMO. Hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, tackles and 1%ers should be the primary statistical focus for this position. Everything else is a bonus.

If you can have your ruckman getting a combined tally of 10+ in the clearance, tackle and 1%er categories, along with having a solid number of hitouts with around 30%+ to advantage (most rucks operate in the 20-30% range), and not giving away too many free kicks to their opposition, those things generally correlate with a ruckman having played their role well and having had a good individual game.

Sandi is #1 then i would have Goldstein,Mumford,Jacobs and Martin all pretty much level.

Nic Nat is building nicely and would expect him to come into AA calculations later on in the season.

Agree. Would also put Lobbe in that group. Very important player for Port.

I agree re possesions being over rated as most of the poss that the rucks get are junk stats.. However goals do count.

Sandilands, Goldstein, Mumford. These guys are the ones the opposition put time and tactics into nullifying them. The others have good games and average games.

The overrating of mumford never ceases to amaze me

Sandi
Goldy
Mummy
Jacobs

Bellchambers would not make a Vfl top 10 list.
What are you trying to say? I quoted someone else who had rated Bellchambers ahead of Jacobs. I said "big call putting Belly over Jacobs", meaning that I didn't understand how Belly was better than Jacobs....
Seems like you completely misinterpreted my post.

I don't understand how people can say goals marks etc don't matter. The ruckman is still a player and if he does nothing outside of ruckwork then you are playing a man down. Its why hampson doesn't get a game over maric for us. Hampson is a vastly superior tap ruckman but is a liability afterwards while maric is still very good in the ruck but his around the ground work has a massive impact on improving our team. Sandilands is just so good at ruckwork that it makes up for his general lack of other stuff around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandilands is also top 5 for contested marks which having a reliable target to hit up in todays game of zoning and pressure is invaluable.

Sandilands nowdays is getting a good amount of tap puts to advantage. Freo smashed tigers in the clearance battle. Its the only thing they won on the night.

To have his foot issues to be 120kgs+ and be able to clock up about 10ks a game is a freak effort on himself.

Mummy is very consistent and is good around the ground. Top 3 in my opinion

What are you trying to say? I quoted someone else who had rated Bellchambers ahead of Jacobs. I said "big call putting Belly over Jacobs", meaning that I didn't understand how Belly was better than Jacobs....
Seems like you completely misinterpreted my post.
No I am 100% agreeing with you. At the time I posted why was Belly in front of last years AA ruck. The gap is massive. To sub him last night and have a 190cm forward ruck shows how poor he is.

I don't understand how people can say goals marks etc don't matter. The ruckman is still a player and if he does nothing outside of ruckwork then you are playing a man down. Its why hampson doesn't get a game over maric for us. Hampson is a vastly superior tap ruckman but is a liability afterwards while maric is still very good in the ruck but his around the ground work has a massive impact on improving our team. Sandilands is just so good at ruckwork that it makes up for his general lack of other stuff around the ground.

Nobody is saying they don't matter, it's just that work around the stoppages should be the main task of the ruckman, and the main thing they're judged on. People have become too obsessed with marks and disposals around the ground as a "sign" of a good ruckman. I mean, what is the point of having a 200cm/110kg body out there, if it's just going to be used as "another" midfielder, and the size/strength advantage they'd have over "regular" sized players isn't used to good effect?

I think people misunderstand the role of the ruckman and what effective ruckwork actually is, in relation to a functioning midfield. It's not gathering possessions on the wing or being a "tall midfielder". It's primarily an "unsexy", sacrificial role, providing opportunity and space for your midfield to get the ball, doing the dirty work and using your greater size and physicality to positive effect, stopping both your opposite number and the other team's midfield from being effective. This is why guys like Shane Mumford, Nic Naitanui and Ivan Maric are so effective and so highly rated (or should be rated higher, depending on who you talk to), and that's why tackling, clearances and 1%ers are so crucial, and a good measurement of a good ruckman (along with their tap work). If you can get possessions outside of stoppage situations, take marks and kick goals too, that's a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back