Universal Love The 2014/15 Pre-season Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if Atkins doesnt get a game this year itll be curtains for him. He'll be turning 21 in July, i dont know how much longer he needs.

I hope he gets an opportunity as I think he has plenty to offer. If he does play it'll be against the lowly ranked teams such as Saints and Giants.

I'm not a fan, but why the visceral hate from you guys?

Long story short we had a bit of a twitter spat where I tried to keep it off the public face and DM'd him and he said some untrue and pretty insulting things to/about me publicly.

Not that I have any reputation to speak of so it didn't matter, but it told me everything I needed to know about him.

does anyone think Atkins or Knight will play some games next season?

Atkins was pretty close to selection last season. Would be surprised if he doesn't debut.

Knights, i reckon will this season as well.

Personal opinion but if knight and Atkins are getting games next year I don't think we will be travelling that well
And of course we have travelled so well in the last 2 years with our current best 22.

Sorry dont mean to be sarcastic, I just don't understand why people rate the usual suspects so highly when they are perpetual failures.

Why do we think going around with the same combination will bring us a different result. Definition of insanity as I understand it

And of course we have travelled so well in the last 2 years with our current best 22.

Sorry dont mean to be sarcastic, I just don't understand why people rate the usual suspects so highly when they are perpetual failures.

Why do we think going around with the same combination will bring us a different result. Definition of insanity as I understand it

I see your point, but which players exactly do you see him replacing? Given crouch and Grigg are ahead of him who cannot get alook in either.

Maybe Wright? Mackay?

Serious question, I'm not having a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point, but which players exactly do you see him replacing? Given crouch and Grigg are ahead of him who cannot get alook in either.

Maybe Wright? Mackay?

Serious question, I'm not having a go.
It's fine - perfectly fair question. Wright, Henderson, McKay, Martin, Laird - were all at various times first choice players last year. Even CEY got a run!!!

Those names spring immediately to mind - there is def room for some younger players to push past and of they don't we are in big trouble

It's fine - perfectly fair question. Wright, Henderson, McKay, Martin, Laird - were all at various times first choice players last year. Even CEY got a run!!!

Those names spring immediately to mind - there is def room for some younger players to push past and of they don't we are in big trouble
It's an interesting debate as you can argue that a couple of those guys were in our 2012 side that finished second and another couple were very impressive in 2013.

Wright and Mackay were in 2012 with Henderson and Laird showing great signs in 2013.

Martin being the odd one out whose position in the side is certainly up for grabs.

Again, it's what makes it such an interesting debate. I've seen some blame our ~15-22 in our team for us being an underwhelming side whereas I've said in the past I don't think our stars have stood up as much as other top team star players do (that only really applies for 2014).

Hopefully a change to the gameplan can see us bounce back as I believe our list is more than capable of producing strong results (poor KP depth though).

It's an interesting debate as you can argue that a couple of those guys were in our 2012 side that finished second and another couple were very impressive in 2013.

Wright and Mackay were in 2012 with Henderson and Laird showing great signs in 2013.

Martin being the odd one out whose position in the side is certainly up for grabs.

Again, it's what makes it such an interesting debate. I've seen some blame our ~15-22 in our team for us being an underwhelming side whereas I've said in the past I don't think our stars have stood up as much as other top team star players do (that only really applies for 2014).

Hopefully a change to the gameplan can see us bounce back as I believe our list is more than capable of producing strong results (poor KP depth though).
I just think if wright but especially Henderson and McKay don't play well then we won't be a very good side. Not saying that Atkins and knight won't ever be good enough but if they are playing regularly next year means injuries or others have struggled and as inexperienced players will take time before we are a good side with them in it

We certainly need to be making some space for the likes of Lyons, Grigg and Matt Crouch, let alone Atkins and Knight if they start pressing for selection as well, so someone needs to go. That said I'm looking forward to seeing how Walsh uses Henderson and Mackay, they're two players who could possibly provide something to our team that we don't have a lot of at the moment, that something being run and carry. However if they continue down the same path of inconsistency then I won't be against seeing them dropped in favour of someone else performing well in the SANFL, even if they don't play the same role. I'd rather see the gameplan tweaked to accommodate inform players instead of seeing poor performers continually getting a game because they fit into the structure, e.g. Reilly under Sando.

Personal opinion but if knight and Atkins are getting games next year I don't think we will be travelling that well
Our players 15 - 22 were the problem down last year.

If Kerridge, Grigg, Wright, Martin, Jasensch, Cameron (etc) aren't stepping up, then we must look to the next guys coming through. So I'm happy with Atkins getting a go in that circumstance.

But yeah, you're right there - if he's playing regularly it means he's gone past someone that I would have hoped had really stepped up.

This is very true. However, we have had one massive change ie the new coach so it remains to be seen if the same combination may just bring us a different result.

Those that are interested, our first game in 2015, is just 72 days away............

Fortunately the competitive cricket has helped the time to pass by.
I can wholeheartedly recommend that you put any preconceptions you may have aside and go to a United game at Hindmarsh.

I've been to a few games this year and they've been my first, its really excellent at the ground.

I thought Martin was a stand out this year. His best season by far. He showed his courage on numerous occasions. Has a tendency to miss easy goals on the run but join the club! otherwise can't fault his attitude.

Agreed - he won a lot of respect from me last year. Plenty of courage & effort, and played to the best of his ability (or close to it) you would think. Petrenko won that same respect in years past.

The question though if we're going to move forward is on whether his best football is good enough to be a best 22 player in a premiership side. Would he get a game on merit at Hawthorn? Not in my opinion, and based on that we need to move on with him as a depth player at most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back