The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

at the conclusion of round 13- reported ratings in 2013 and 2014 only

2014ratingsdiff.png

The regional figures are missing so much data I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from them. The All Games Foxtel figure is not as bad as it looks because in 2013 there were all those shorter triple header preseason matches that inflated their aggregate a lot.

The AFL has tried a few things to increase the ratings (including Sunday night matches and starting the season two weeks early which gives better timeslots such as more Friday night games and fewer overlaps between games) and yet the overall figure is down.

Of the cities, Perth is the biggest concern especially with Freo having just made a GF and WC winning their first three games. The 7/7 Mate mishmash is seemingly confusing and alienating viewers

The regional figures are missing so much data I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from them. The All Games Foxtel figure is not as bad as it looks because in 2013 there were all those shorter triple header preseason matches that inflated their aggregate a lot.

The AFL has tried a few things to increase the ratings (including Sunday night matches and starting the season two weeks early which gives better timeslots such as more Friday night games and fewer overlaps between games) and yet the overall figure is down.

Of the cities, Perth is the biggest concern especially with Freo having just made a GF and WC winning their first three games. The 7/7 Mate mishmash is seemingly confusing and alienating viewers
The WA games are shown in 7mate not the main channel 7 for some reason, that has had an effect on the ratings

Yeah it makes it hard to draw conclusions when so much data is missing, and the all games data is skewed towards 2013 because there were more NAB Cup games - and a final on FTA - that plays around with that somewhat. Perth is a concern primarily because of the ridiculously early start times for Perth broadcasts due to daylight saving, and the switch to 7mate which is still playing havoc with the ratings. Got to wonder whether a return to delayed broadcasts would be better in Perth at least early in the season. Baffles me why the switch was made to 7mate in Perth, but not Adelaide.

As I have stated earlier in this thread, I am thinking that the AFL and networks are looking at different data. If this isn't the case then the AFL is in serious trouble going off the current figures.

Clear points of contention

1. Sydney is playing well
2. Collingwood is exceeding expectation
3. Self proclaimed giant of the AFL Hawforn are thriving on the field
4. Freo
5. Port
6. Gold Coast playing exiting footy.

These are key clubs in different areas, this is clearly an indication that ratings science isn't effective for the AFL. The Voice for christ sake has regular audiences into the millions???

Not really much good news there except Adelaide and regionals.

The drop off in Fox would be a concern for both Foxtel and the AFL. Fox won't be paying more money for the next AFL rights if their subscription numbers are going backwards.
I'm afraid your 100% right as regards the next TV deal.

Can we talk about the absolutely astounding State of Origin ratings? Most watched TV broadcast in Australian history.

Origin I - 4.058 million
Origin II - 4.193 million

Now number 1 & 2 on the all time ratings list, dislodging the long-reigning 2005 Australian Open Men's Final between Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin.

Massive ratings. That's how you add a chunk of change to your broadcast rights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really much good news there except Adelaide and regionals.

The drop off in Fox would be a concern for both Foxtel and the AFL. Fox won't be paying more money for the next AFL rights if their subscription numbers are going backwards.

I'd say Fox need the footy. It's their stupid and out-dated business model that is affecting their subscriptions numbers

Can we talk about the absolutely astounding State of Origin ratings? Most watched TV broadcast in Australian history.

Origin I - 4.058 million

Now number 1 & 2 on the all time ratings list, dislodging the long-reigning 2005 Australian Open Men's Final between Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin.

AFl v NRL thread.

Most watched SoO maybe. Most watched TV broadcast in Australian history? Nope.
Origin I - 4.058 million

To the detriment of the premiership season, yes.

I'd say Fox need the footy. It's their stupid and out-dated business model that is affecting their subscriptions numbers
They may need the footy but if it not generating the income they want then they won't be paying any extra to the AFL to get it.

Origin I - 4.058 million

The SoO is meant to be around 30% of the total broad cast rights. The was an article about it a month or so ago I'll have to find it. But it's adds a fortunate on to the NRL figures

Those Saturday afternoon Melbourne ratings...

Yeah, that's actually beyond horrible, especially given a Melbourne club is involved. It's the equivalent of about 40k in Perth or 25k in Adelaide. It's not like Hawthorn v Collingwood rated it's arse off on Fox either.

But it's pretty clear that Saturday arvo as a timeslot is dying. It's now a working day for more and more people.

Those Saturday afternoon Melbourne ratings...

lowest Saturday afternoon rating in Melbourne this year. Only the second time in two years that a Melb rating has dipped below 100k (last season r23 Adl v Melb)
Fri STV #AFL #AFLTigersSwans 277k #FoxFooty

Fri TV #AFL #AFLTigersSwans Seven 463k (Mel 338k Ade 125k) 7mate 188k (Syd 66k Bri 36k Per 86k)

928k all up.

Registered another 186 on regionals. Big win to the AFL on Friday.

Round 14 Ratings

Fri TV #AFL #AFLTigersSwans Seven 463k (Mel 338k Ade 125k) 7mate 188k (Syd 66k Bri 36k Per 86k)
Fri STV #AFL #AFLTigersSwans 277k #FoxFooty
Fri Regional: 186

Sat TV #AFL arvo Seven 262k (Mel 99k Ade 102k Per 62k) 7mate 40k (Syd 18k Bri 23k)
Sat TV #AFL night Seven 393k (Mel 239k Ade 154k) 7mate 174k (Syd 18k Bri 33k Per 123k)
Sat TV state footy ABC1 #VFL Mel 24k #WAFL Per 20k
Sat STV #AFL #AFLSunsCats 210k #AFLDonsCrows 205k #AFLHawksPies 177k #AFLPowerDogs 90k #AFLFreoLions 57k #FoxFooty #FoxSports

Sun TV #AFL Seven 297k (Mel 132k Ade 53k Per 112k) 7mate 36k (Syd 21k Bri 15k) Game 1 Syd 7mate 14k
1 LIVE: AFL GWS V CARLTON FOX FOOTY 199,000
3 LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V NTH MELB FOX FOOTY 177,000
4 LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V WEST COAST FOX SPORTS 3 122,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back