Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... Is boo-ing racially motivated or not? You can't have the cake and eat it to. Was Milne really boo'd because he is white?

listen, I don't know if the WA sun is playing with your brain or not..but get this into your head, the crowd dislike Goodes because Goodes had the audacity to point out a child that was racially vilifying him, question for you, how does a 13 y/o know to call a indigenous man an ape? and not mean it in a racist manner?

it's safe to say that the child does know right from wrong and deserves everything she gets.

I hate Carlton more than any team just because of what that dog Nichols did to Neville Crowe in the '67 second semi, and I would guarantee I'm not alone.
He kicked Kenny Boyd in the guts and Kenny knocked him unconscious. The so called hard man went down like the big bag of manure he was. Crowe was a great player and a gentleman. Kenny had a great upper cut.

He has done exactly what was hoped when he was named AOTY. He has started a conversation.

Many many people have been shocked to hear that the indigenous population consider 1788 an invasion. We were simply not taught these things in school.

Now people have the choice to listen to another perspective and empathize, or block it out and attack the messenger. And that is a question of character.

reminiscent of the conversation Paul J Keating started in 1992 back in Redfern.

some on this site should familiarise themselves with that iconic 15min speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=x1S4F1euzTw

He has done exactly what was hoped when he was named AOTY. He has started a conversation.

Many many people have been shocked to hear that the indigenous population consider 1788 an invasion. We were simply not taught these things in school.

Now people have the choice to listen to another perspective and empathize, or block it out and attack the messenger. And that is a question of character.
so tell me again what has Adam Goodes done to help reconciliation?

listen, I don't know if the WA sun is playing with your brain or not..but get this into your head, the crowd dislike Goodes because Goodes had the audacity to point out a child that was racially vilifying him, question for you, how does a 13 y/o know to call a indigenous man an ape? and not mean it in a racist manner?

it's safe to say that the child does know right from wrong and deserves everything she gets.
The age of criminal responsibility in this country is ten. Kids know right from wrong at ten. Although from examples on this board some haven't advanced beyond five years old. They confuse temper tantrums with freedom of speech.

reminiscent of the conversation Paul J Keating started in 1992 back in Redfern.

some on this site should familiarise themselves with that iconic 15min speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=x1S4F1euzTw
It was one of Australia's blackest days when Howard threw out the reconciliation process and took the country back 50 years to a patriarchal approach.

This is hilarious! Cmon lets get serious here the booing isn't racist at all, if the crowd were booing Adam for racial reasons why aren't they booing Jetta????
And so I guess that means when Sam Mitchell was booed last week that was racist too? Lol
I just think this whole thing has been taken out of context and to read what some people are bringing to the argument is just out of control.
It's football people get booed, cheered whatever get over it and don't start playing the race card just because people can't actually work out why he is getting booed! It's pathetic!

This is hilarious! Cmon lets get serious here the booing isn't racist at all, if the crowd were booing Adam for racial reasons why aren't they booing Jetta????
And so I guess that means when Sam Mitchell was booed last week that was racist too? Lol
I just think this whole thing has been taken out of context and to read what some people are bringing to the argument is just out of control.
It's football people get booed, cheered whatever get over it and don't start playing the race card just because people can't actually work out why he is getting booed! It's pathetic!
Yes, that's your opinion. I have more respect for the players in your team and they def have a different view.

If you can't understand the context of what is happening just pull your head in and enjoy the game. Hawks are having a great year, surely you don't have to spread hate and vindictiveness as well.

Are you really so morally and rationally inadequate that you can run this "nothing here folks lets move on" moral nonsense and cowardice? . Whatever insults you may inflict on your own intelligence don't insult the intelligence of others.

The day celebrates and commemorates the day that his country was invaded.

WTF? When was the Commonwealth of Australia invaded? Did I miss something? I mean, that's the country Goodes was born into and lived his whole life in if I'm not mistaken. That is his country.

People really grabbing on to history here as though everyone today lived through it themselves. * me people really can overthink themselves into a quandary sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think racism is just name calling and talking? You have so much to learn about the world son.

Let's try our closest neighbours for Examples: Malaysia, I worked there last year as a manager. They have specific racist laws on what race of people I could and couldn't employ. Google Bumiputra. Google what Obama said about Malaysia son. Try Indonesia, see if you can stand in a line with out people just pushing in front of you, and no I don't mean Bali I mean real Indonesia like Irian Jia.
Now let's not even start with the genocide in Central and east Africa or Libya or Djibouti Why do you think so many people want to flee to Australia you ignorant young kid. Racism is not only about skin colour, it's about thinking that your race is superior to other races....... Trying going to the Middle East and see how sub continent folks are treated there.

I'm not saying Australia is good as we have a long way to go but don't bag our country when relatively Australia is a great place to live.
All countries have racism. Great countries are made greater by being tough - mentally, intellectually, legally, philosophically and politically tough. Whether Australia is more racist or less or whatever I have no problem in saying when it comes to tough national "looking yourself in the mirror" moments, which all great nations need to become greater or to plateau perhaps, we've been a bit sh&thouse recently. Too many times when hard questions are asked people wouse out and jump on jingoism. To me this is weak and Australia needs to toughen up. We need to be resilient and deal with criticism without losing our s**t and getting defensive and angry. But some issues are not straight forward. Here for example - saying all booers are racist hasn't helped (and some have said it in the media). Knee jerking from both sides hasn't been productive. Goodes is a s**t stirrer - but a reasonably tame one. The world needs s**t stirrers sometimes. Is it ok to bully him until he goes away. I don't reckon

You'd have to have your head in the sand if you'd not heard this term long before Goodes said it. But it's just exaggeration. No one invaded. Australia was colonised. That's what happened. One could call it Colonisation Day, but that's clearly not dramatic or emotive enough. Invasion though ... that misappropriates the meaning of the word IMO. And it's not like Colonisation Day would be downplaying anything either, as the history of colonisation around the globe is a brutal and tragic one for those indigenous to the land being colonised.

You'd have to have your head in the sand if you'd not heard this term long before Goodes said it. But it's just exaggeration. No one invaded. Australia was colonised. That's what happened. One could call it Colonisation Day, but that's clearly not dramatic or emotive enough. Invasion though ... that misappropriates the meaning of the word IMO. And it's not like Colonisation Day would be downplaying anything either, as the history of colonisation around the globe is a brutal and tragic one for those indigenous to the land being colonised.
?

Invasion and Colonialisation are mutually exclusive because........???

Was there
(A) a military presence
(B) acts of aggression
(C) entering territory
(D) conquering of land
?

From the shock responses I would say many have not heard the term.

One man's colonization is another man's invasion. Either way, 50,000 years of continuous culture was destroyed practically overnight.

And yet we now feel outraged that the descendants of that community have had enough of being called apes.

Strange world we live in.

Oh this should be good. Explain the difference between Invasion and Colonisation.

I don't see it as non-conformist - I see it as petulant. "Baaah, you can't tell me what to do, AFL!"
why do you believe the afl should tell the general public what to do or what to think of their players? they never told us not to boo umpires? why don't they care about their hurt feeling too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back