Opinion The Adelaide Board Politics/COVID Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we have allowed negative gearing and people owning multiple properties. Yes, allow negative gearing for 1/2 properties but after that, no tax deductibility.
Won't someone think of the building industry? These are job creators you're going after here.
What ever happened to government housing?
It's cheaper* if those people are homeless.

*It's probably more expensive actually. But it's certainly easier. And I don't have to think about them if we move them somewhere else to be homeless where I can't seen.

Won't someone think of the building industry? These are job creators you're going after here.

It's cheaper* if those people are homeless.

*It's probably more expensive actually. But it's certainly easier. And I don't have to think about them if we move them somewhere else to be homeless where I can't seen.

Why on earth negative gearing is allowed for existing properties, given it actually does * all for the economy, other than the real estate vultures which is why I say one or two properties allow but after that stiff s**t.

Not even remotely close to what the medical experts that I referred to, said, and not even remotely close to what I think either.

Take your strawman trolling elsewhere, this fish ain't biting
Not strawman as it's calling out your statement as factually incorrect.

The government response to Covid clearly saved lives despite you thinking otherwise!

It is just like “trickle down economics”, it has been shown to be flawed.

You don’t decrease taxes for the rich, they certainly don’t need it. You increase them - remove the 50% discount for capital gains for starters (and yes I own shares, if I make a profit I should get taxed at the full rate).

Increasing interest rates only hurts the average person in the street.

Economics in theory is great provided you can get into the minds of 25 million people.
Regarding the capital gains, I think you need to think harder. While your suggestions seem reasonable, they neglect the actual history of the tax.

The original tax applied only to real capital gains, not nominal, with adjustments to cover inflation. Then the indian-giver cunning government introduced the 50% discount, but removing any allowance for inflation. What great guys! The nett result would have been that many more people were now drawn into the CGT net.

If the lazy suggestion that the discount were now removed were brought into action, then the ruse would now be complete.
There's no way that this should happen without the reintroduction of allowance for inflation.

Why on earth negative gearing is allowed for existing properties, given it actually does * all for the economy, other than the real estate vultures which is why I say one or two properties allow but after that stiff s**t.
That was also my POV

That said, my understanding is, negative gearing keeps large numbers of the building industry employed ....and IS SUPPOSED to fill the gap of govt housing, with the rental market

I'm not sure it meets its aim .....it's certainly driven the median value of houses significantly upward, I'd say it has been the main driver ....and it's not providing economical rental accommodation

It did what it was supposed to do - encourage investment in the real estate market and boost the construction industry.

Same with first homeowners and other grants.

Same with 50% capital gains tax.

Same with foreign investment being allowed in aussie property.

So yay, we poured cash into the building and property investment industries and now that is all priced in to the market... and everyone's super.

Genie's out of the bottle.

Yes who could forget all the cases of myocarditis in young people during 2020.

mm7035e5_MyocarditisCOVID_IMAGE_31Aug21_1200x675_1-medium.jpg

1675319060589.png
"Myocarditis is uncommon among patients with and without COVID-19; however, COVID-19 is a strong and significant risk factor for myocarditis, with risk varying by age group. The findings in this report underscore the importance of implementing evidence-based COVID-19 prevention strategies, including vaccination, to reduce the public health impact of COVID-19 and its associated complications."

Last edited:
It did what it was supposed to do - encourage investment in the real estate market and boost the construction industry.

Same with first homeowners and other grants.

Same with 50% capital gains tax.

Same with foreign investment being allowed in aussie property.

So yay, we poured cash into the building and property investment industries and now that is all priced in to the market... and everyone's super.

Genie's out of the bottle.

And we end up with one of the highest property markets in the world - we are ******* geniuses.

mm7035e5_MyocarditisCOVID_IMAGE_31Aug21_1200x675_1-medium.jpg

View attachment 1598658
"Myocarditis is uncommon among patients with and without COVID-19; however, COVID-19 is a strong and significant risk factor for myocarditis, with risk varying by age group. The findings in this report underscore the importance of implementing evidence-based COVID-19 prevention strategies, including vaccination, to reduce the public health impact of COVID-19 and its associated complications."

There's no doubt that COVID is one of the main attributors for myocarditis, however the study I would like to see is the occurrence of myocarditis for unvaccinated people contracting COVID VS vaccinated people contracting COVID and see if the vaccine actually reduces the occurrence of it happening.

Regarding the capital gains, I think you need to think harder. While your suggestions seem reasonable, they neglect the actual history of the tax.

The original tax applied only to real capital gains, not nominal, with adjustments to cover inflation. Then the indian-giver cunning government introduced the 50% discount, but removing any allowance for inflation. What great guys! The nett result would have been that many more people were now drawn into the CGT net.

If the lazy suggestion that the discount were now removed were brought into action, then the ruse would now be complete.
There's no way that this should happen without the reintroduction of allowance for inflation.

Not sure that many would have been drawn in given until recently low inflation rates over the previous 20 years however inflation needs to be considered.

This is a good read -

There's no doubt that COVID is one of the main attributors for myocarditis, however the study I would like to see is the occurrence of myocarditis for unvaccinated people contracting COVID VS vaccinated people contracting COVID and see if the vaccine actually reduces the occurrence of it happening.

Agreed, glad you asked.

It's well established that it is going to be next to impossible to avoid getting infected with COVID, so you're correct, if we're being honest the comparator for risk of COVID-19 vaccine side effects isn't a zero baseline, it's the risk of side effects associated with COVID-19 infection whilst unvaccinated.

This has been looked at in numerous recent and ongoing studies. Here's a previous post of mine summarising what they found (there are links to some of these studies if you click on the posts).

Curious to see page after page of posts and so much concern from certain posters about adverse events like myocarditis linked to COVID vaccines, yet none whatsoever about adverse events like myocarditis linked to COVID infection.

Actually, maybe not curious at all now that I think about it. (if you want to talk "sheer dishonesty")

If you're interested in learning more, here is my response to this from the other day, plus links to recent, high quality studies and systematic reviews (as opposed to one off anecdotes, personal opinions or baseless conjecture).
Agreed. There are numerous published studies which have and continue to look into this.

These studies have consistently shown that while there are rare adverse events caused by COVID vaccines (as is the case with almost all vaccines), the frequency and severity of these events is outweighed in every age group by adverse events associated with COVID infection among unvaccinated. Monitoring both of these cohorts in the long term will be important.

It's been suggested by some that we may see additional side effects from vaccination emerging down the track - as the vaccines themselves are processed and excreted by your body within days, this is not biologically plausible.

In short, there's currently no evidence that you are better off being unvaccinated than vaccinated, for any of the age groups these studies have assessed. Based on these studies, expert vaccine advisory bodies around the world continue to recommend vaccination to all people over the age of 5 years, and for kids under the age of 5 who have certain medical conditions.

It's important that the evidence around the risks/benefits of vaccination is readily available to and understood by all people, and that this information comes from a reliable source. Some people may benefit from having an informed discussion with their doctor to interpret this evidence in the context of their unique circumstances, and figure out which of the vaccines on offer is going to be right for them.

There's definitely room for governments and expert health advisory bodies to scale up their work in educating the public on this as there's nothing to hide and it's in the vacuum of information where conspiracies and misinformation are more likely to take hold.

Last edited:
Myocarditis rates for:
1. With covid, vaxxed
2. With covid, unvaxxed
3. Without covid, vaxxed
4. Without covid, unvaxxed

My guess is..
4 < 3 << 1 <<<<<<<<<<<<< 2

Well we have allowed negative gearing and people owning multiple properties. Yes, allow negative gearing for 1/2 properties but after that, no tax deductibility.

Set affordable, capped price longer term rents and then charge the tax on rental income at 15%, or 0. Then get rid of Neg gearing.

Capped price low rents allows renters to save for a deposit (or get some more tattoos because an arm sleeve is important).

Remove foreign ownership of houses, not a citizen, GTFO, you don't own property (like most other countries who don't artificially stimulate the economy that way.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The government response to Covid clearly saved lives despite you thinking otherwise!
Not once have I ever said that the government response didn't save lives. Not once have I ever thought so.

What I have said is that the unnecessary part of the response, not the necessary part, the unnecessary part, cost lives.

Please, no more disagreement of things that you imagine I've said because you can't be arsed actually reading what I actually posted, or actually reading the links I actually post.

Your strawmanning might arise through laziness but whether it is actually intended or laziness I don't care.

And we end up with one of the highest property markets in the world - we are ******* geniuses.
Don't worry, there are at least 3 solutions:
  • We will perpetuate our current path and the masses will live in a futuristic poverty ridden state, while the annointed few live in a literal ivory tower like gods
  • Climate change will push us into a mad max style future hellscape and it won't matter anyway.
  • We'll do our own version of storming the bastille, heads on pikes, civil war, and fully reset.
I don't think there's any path to a peacful or legaslative solution. No way will anything ever get up in parliament that will significantly alter this trajectory.

Not once have I ever said that the government response didn't save lives. Not once have I ever thought so.

What I have said is that the unnecessary part of the response, not the necessary part, the unnecessary part, cost lives.

Please, no more disagreement of things that you imagine I've said because you can't be arsed actually reading what I actually posted, or actually reading the links I actually post.

Your strawmanning might arise through laziness but whether it is actually intended or laziness I don't care.
... and which part do you think was unnecessary?

Not sure that many would have been drawn in given until recently low inflation rates over the previous 20 years however inflation needs to be considered.

This is a good read -

If we assume an average inflation rate over 20 years at 3.5%, then that is a doubling. So,
if you had a house, say, that was subject to capital gains, bought for $400,000, you would be paying tax on the appreciated $400,000.
This is not peanuts. On the other hand, allowance for inflation would result in a nett CGT of zero. I rest my case.

So explain what unnecessary part of the government response that cost lives.

It's not like you articulated this!

Overall the government response saved lives.

Ps. The only thing imo was ScoMo being SloMo arranging the covax.

Last edited:
So Dutton thinks supporting the monarchy is more important than supporting our Aboriginal heritage...

It's not like the monarchy are on all our coins...

So Dutton thinks supporting the monarchy is more important than supporting our Aboriginal heritage...

It's not like the monarchy are on all our coins...
Most of us haven't got an aboriginal heritage.
Nevertheless, Dutton has lost the plot a little here.

Most of us haven't got an aboriginal heritage.
Nevertheless, Dutton has lost the plot a little here.
Surely our 1st nations people are more important to recognise than the monarchy who are already on every coin!

Give Christian Porter credit for actually taking responsibility... unlike nearly everyone else who has fronted the robodebt royal commission.

... and which part do you think was unnecessary?
Locking down in LGAs with nil cases is by far the biggest, curfews against medical and police advice, 5 kilometre radius, being allowed to walk to a park within 5 kms but not being able to drive to a park within 5 kms, wearing masks when there is no person within 200m, wearing masks in a car by yourself. At the very least those contributed to hysteria, and some are far more significant

Surely our 1st nations people are more important to recognise than the monarchy who are already on every coin!
Or maybe just great Australians past and present regardless of colour or creed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back