The Adelaide United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be interesting to see how Gombau's possession-based style changes as the season goes on, you're only 4 points off finals and still in with a great chance.

It'll be interesting to see how Gombau's possession-based style changes as the season goes on, you're only 4 points off finals and still in with a great chance.

I think we are certaintly better than Newcastle and Sydney FC.

Gombau never changes his style. Last week he could have played a defensively-minded 4-2-3-1 with McKain and Isaias DMs but chose to play a clearly not fully fit Bowles as a winger.

Like what he is doing though and it is good to see the players buying into the philosophy.

My main concern with Adelaide is that they're defensively vulnerable, the risk with playing a high line and pressing up the pitch is that it opens up space in behind if you lose possession cheaply.

We seem to have dropped one defender back a bit deeper in recent weeks. Instead of the both tearing up the pitch one, usually Mckain, hangs back a touch. Fitness is the only thing stopping us climbing into the 6 IMO, and its been an issue with the club for a long time. Soft tissue injuries are related to speed of play and training coupled with an under prepared fitness program.

Our best is more than good enough and we are slowing eradicating errors which cost many points early on. Keep the best players on the park and results will come.

Jordan Elsey is back on board after Kitchee signed a Korean defender instead. Looks like Bruce and Cirio will miss at least this week and Flecha is also under a cloud. Malik misses through suspension just as he started to find a great partnership with Mckain.

Will be over the moon with a point in Brisbane.

Jordan Elsey is back on board after Kitchee signed a Korean defender instead. Looks like Bruce and Cirio will miss at least this week and Flecha is also under a cloud. Malik misses through suspension just as he started to find a great partnership with Mckain.

Will be over the moon with a point in Brisbane.

I'm really disappointed that the loan move fell through. It would have been good if he got some experience overseas and came back a new player!

• Banned
Ryan Griffiths set for Adelaide move

8 January 2014-SBS

Adelaide switch ... Ryan Griffiths (Getty Images)
Ryan Griffiths could make his Adelaide United debut against league leader Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday after agreeing a deal with the Reds.
Griffiths will join Adelaide for the remainder of the A-League season if he passes a medical, and could be in action this weekend subject to an international transfer clearance.
"Ryan is an experienced player who Josep (coach Josep Gombau) feels will suit our game and believes will be a very valuable acquisition adding depth and flexibility to the squad," Adelaide general manager - football operations Michael Petrillo said.
The 32-year-old Griffiths last played for Beijing Baxy in China, but before that had a successful stint in the A-League with Newcastle Jets.

Quality signing this one. Chasing money which is fine if he performs like I think he will. We are obviously not confident in Bruce's ability to last more than 3 weeks at a time.

Golecs also been sold, sad to see him go but we MUST be bringing in a defender during the window to replace him. Was a tad overrated on this thread and its predecessor but if we replace him with better quality no one will mind:p

Quality signing this one. Chasing money which is fine if he performs like I think he will. We are obviously not confident in Bruce's ability to last more than 3 weeks at a time.

Golecs also been sold, sad to see him go but we MUST be bringing in a defender during the window to replace him. Was a tad overrated on this thread and its predecessor but if we replace him with better quality no one will mind:p

I have heard both Eddie Bosnar and Sasa's names being floated around. Would be silly to say no to these guys because of their experience but whether they have the technique and pace to play the high-line of our system IDK. We can also hope that Golec fails his medical :p

Then there Luca$h.... :rolleyes:

Apart from that I think we have two good players in each position and guys with versatility throughout the squad.

Griffo was a great player for Newcastle just last season and knows where the back of the net is. Hope Bruce starts ahead of him though when fit. I don't think Griffo fits the Barca-style winger either, would rather see our current guys used in that role.

Actually come to think of it we could possibly do with another central midfielder in the mould of Lustica and Carrusca or maybe a LB to cover Zullo seeing as Cassio's days seem numbered. I can't think of any right now but I'm sure there are some suitable Aussies out there.

Griffiths also has the ability to play central, keeping Jero on the wing with his pace whilst the others are injured. Bosnar would be perfect IMO, years playing in Japan with similar styles. Ogga will end up in Melbourne id say at the Heart and theres still a sneaky chance Neill could end up here too, similar deal to Kewell with base rate plus incentives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Griffiths also has the ability to play central, keeping Jero on the wing with his pace whilst the others are injured. Bosnar would be perfect IMO, years playing in Japan with similar styles. Ogga will end up in Melbourne id say at the Heart and theres still a sneaky chance Neill could end up here too, similar deal to Kewell with base rate plus incentives.

Is Heart like the retirement villiage of centre-halves? :p They have Kisnorbo and Wielart already, along with Gerhardt. Surely Heart are not really in need of a CB? I get that he's from Melbourne and all that, but still... why bother?

I really think that Neill should have one more chance to prove that he isn't just all talk, I'd be happy to take him but Eddy Bosnar would be fantastic, if only for those free-kicks!

Really happy with the Griffiths signing!! There's a possibility he could even play on Saturday!!

Teams R14 - Brisbane Roar vs Adelaide United

Brisbane Roar squad: 1.Michael THEO, 2.Matthew SMITH (c), 3.Shane STEFANUTTO, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 7.Besart BERISHA, 10.HENRIQUE, 11.Liam MILLER, 13.Jade NORTH, 14.Diogo FERREIRA, 17.Matt McKAY, 18.Luke BRATTAN, 19.Jack HINGERT, 20.Matthew ACTON (gk), 22.Thomas BROICH, 23.Dimitri PETRATOS, 27.Devante CLUT, 28.Brandon BORRELLO
**one to be omitted**
Ins: 3.Shane STEFANUTTO (returns from injury), 7.Besart BERISHA (returns from injury)
Outs: 26.Corey BROWN (International Duty – Young Socceroos)
Unavailable: 15.James DONACHIE (groin – one week), 25. George LAMBADARDIS (knee - season)
Adelaide United squad: 1.Eugene GALEKOVIC (GK) (c), 3.Nigel BOOGAARD, 4.Jon McKAIN, 7.JERONIMO, 8.ISAIAS, 10.Marcelo CARRUSCA, 13.Steven LUSTICA, 14.Cameron WATSON, 16.Daniel BOWLES, 17.Awer MABIL, 18.Michael ZULLO, 20.Paul IZZO (GK), 21.Tarek ELRICH, 23.Jordan ELSEY, 26.Anthony COSTA, 31.Ryan GRIFFITHS, 32.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS
**one to be omitted**

Ins: 7.JERONIMO (returns from suspension), 10.Marcelo CARRUSCA (returns from injury), 14.Cameron WATSON (returns from injury), 23.Jordan ELSEY (returns from Hong Kong), 31.Ryan GRIFFITHS (new signing), 32.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS (promoted from Youth Team)
Outs: 5.Osama MALIK (suspended – 1 match), 9.Sergio CIRIO (hamstring – 3-4 weeks), 11.Bruce DJITE (groin – 1-2 weeks), 19.Jake BARKER-DAISH (international duty – Young Socceroos), 22.Fabio FERREIRA (groin – 2 weeks)
Unavailable: 6.CASSIO (hamstring tendon – indefinite), 12.Antony GOLEC (China), 15.Jacob MELLING (knee – 6 weeks)

Stefanutto and Berisha are BIG ins for Brisbane! Glad Jero and Chelo are back this week. I'm excited to see how Griffiths fits in our team. Also glad that Gombau has stuck to his words and brought in yet another Youth Player. Now we currently have a few players from the NYL! Mabil,Elsey,Costa and Konstandopoulos. Great!!!

Although we have some big ins, we have even bigger outs!! Malik,Cirio, Djite, Baker-Daish and Ferreira is a lot of talent to have out of the squad!! It would be amazing if we win tomorrow, but I don't think we will unfortunately. Hopefully they prove me wrong!!

Draw will do me just fine. Our NYL side is churning out the goods but what a debut game against the runaway league leaders. Anything more than not being embarrassed is a bonus.

You cant afford to go in without 6 of your best and 2 replacements against anyone, let alone the rampant Roar at home. Prepare the lube people.

You cant afford to go in without 6 of your best and 2 replacements against anyone, let alone the rampant Roar at home. Prepare the lube people.

agree. It would be amazing if we win but I really doubt it. We still have players capable of doing some good things but realistically it's not a very strong looking team at all. Just checked the sportsbet odds and Brisbane are $1.33 and we are $9.00. YIKES!! :eek:

Gotta bad, bad, bad, bad feeling about today.

We are ZERO chance of getting anything out of today's game.
Allan Scott..... you were wrong !!!!!

Fantastic win backs to the wall we stand strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back