The Adelaide United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got excited by this (if it is indeed true). Might have an eye for talent.

"During his time as Adelaide United assistant coach four years ago, Stubbins was credited for bringing Socceroo striker Mathew Leckie, gloveman Eugene Galekovic and Argentine playmaker Marcos Flores to the club."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...rebuilding-squad/story-fn63e0vj-1226908084602

fairly sure that was Petrillo's handy work.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Stubbins was still instrumental

Yep Judas was mostly the work of Petrillo, as are/were most of our imports

Anyone going to the Castle Tavern to watch Australia v Chile on Saturday morning?? I not quite sure myself TBH. It's great that the club now has an official pub but it's kind of a random move! Whilst I've been to the Castle Tavern many times in the past and enjoy it, It's kind of small and a random pub to associate the club with. The fact that it's a fair distance from Hindmarsh makes it even stranger!

Anyone going to the Castle Tavern to watch Australia v Chile on Saturday morning?? I not quite sure myself TBH. It's great that the club now has an official pub but it's kind of a random move! Whilst I've been to the Castle Tavern many times in the past and enjoy it, It's kind of small and a random pub to associate the club with. The fact that it's a fair distance from Hindmarsh makes it even stranger!

Hope, 7:30am ;)

Might have to spend a bit of time in adelaide this A-League season, so may end up with a membership. Always liked the look of that bar on ground level near the Active supporters area on the northside on the Western grandstand, what level of membership does it require to stand there?

Rumours abound that AUFC will play La Liga side Malaga at AO on July 25. Wouldn't be the Barca we all hoped but a good get nonetheless. An announcement will be made at 10.30 tomorrow, expect this to be it.

Also there was something mentioned on 5AA about Josep opening his little black book and we will have a MAJOR signing coming soon. Now I heard this about 2 weeks ago and whilst my source didn't name names he did tell me that it wouldn't be Villa, Lampard big but the next level down.

The club seems to be more willing to open the wallet now they have seen what Josep brings, exciting times ahead.

Not sure Malaga is AO worthy, just my opinion tough

Didn't the A League (soccer Australia or whatever their name is) implement some stupid tax that A league clubs have to pay $250,000 before they can play a friendly against any big named clubs?

I wonder if Malaga fall into this category?

There was a rumour going around a while ago that Adelaide was chasing Diego Forlan, apparently Cerzo Osaka can't afford to keep him anymore and that Forlan wasn't happy in japan anyway.

Any truth in this at all? Or was it just Chinese whispers?

Didn't the A League (soccer Australia or whatever their name is) implement some stupid tax that A league clubs have to pay $250,000 before they can play a friendly against any big named clubs?

I wonder if Malaga fall into this category?
They would and im pretty sure thats why they've gone that way. As for the Forlan rumour it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, would be a massive get for the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malaga friendly announced. Had to laugh when Griffen said they were a 'powerhouse' club. Sixth most supported side in La Liga evidently.

This game MUST be promoted correctly, any less than 30K would be a massive fail.

Happy that Malaga are coming to play at Adelaide Oval but I think it's quite pathetic by our club that they didn't announce any ticketing information and the match is just over 3 weeks away! Marketing department have no ******* clue! To us Malaga coming down under is fairly exciting but to the casual football fan they are a nobody club! When the * are they going to advertise this match! They better get it together soon or risk a crowd of 20k or less!

I think if you were going to get a mid tier club we were better off going to the EPL but in saying that its great to have a Spanish team come down. I suspect if we become part of this LFP World Challenge the Spanish put on, which is the plan, then this won't be the last Spanish opponent we see down here.

Agree on the marketing front, it will be flogged to death now though you can guarantee it. Been mentioned on 5AA already and the match will be shown on Ch7 here.

I think if you were going to get a mid tier club we were better off going to the EPL but in saying that its great to have a Spanish team come down. I suspect if we become part of this LFP World Challenge the Spanish put on, which is the plan, then this won't be the last Spanish opponent we see down here.

Agree on the marketing front, it will be flogged to death now though you can guarantee it. Been mentioned on 5AA already and the match will be shown on Ch7 here.
The match being broadcast on 7 is good and bad! The revenue that we'll get from the match being shown on TV is good, but being on TV would bring down the crowd figure! I agree that a mid table EPL club would draw a bigger crowd but hopefully people realize how big this is, even though they aren't one of the 'big 3' or even in the top 5, they're still a fairly big club in one of the best leagues in the world.

7 news reported that Gombau said that Adelaide are close to signing a guest player that has played in La Liga and EPL!
Forlan?

Season opener against Victory at AO.

30K plus I reckon
I just hope the Victory fans don't come over and rip out the seats like they have in previous games! Idiots see that it's a new stadium and start breaking seats. If that happens then I hope they get banned from ever attending United home games again! I'm sorry but a lot of w***ers come over from Melbourne and think they own the place.

Apparently there will be a presser tomorrow morning for a major sponsorship announcement with a Chinese company!
The good news just keeps rolling in!

Yep that and Sir Josep mentioned today we are VERY close to signing a guest player with EPL and La Liga experience....... should we get in line for our Forlan shirts ??

After a rocky start this current admin are winning friends.

Yep that and Sir Josep mentioned today we are VERY close to signing a guest player with EPL and La Liga experience....... should we get in line for our Forlan shirts ??

After a rocky start this current admin are winning friends.
It's most likely Forlan which would be an excellent signing. Not of the caliber of Villa, Del Piero or Lampard, but still a very very good signing. The guy is class even at the age of 35.

As I mentioned last night my source said this player was a level below those guys, if it is to be him its only a small level. He was player of the tournament in South Africa.......

Rumours have been going around, we cant afford to buy him but a guest stint would be feasible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back