The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

“They said their medicos conducted a head injury assessment at the time of the incident, where Cameron, “reported no symptoms and satisfied all AFL requirements”.

“After further review of the video footage, and in consultation with the spotters in the ARC, it was decided there was no criteria to remove Cameron immediately from the field for further assessment,” the Cats’ said in their statement.”

Nope. Just watched the final 9 minutes of the game and Cameron didn’t come off for assessment at all. In fact, he was barely getting involved at all as he usually would in those games he is, you know, not concussed. Embarrassing look for the AFL. 🙄

“They said their medicos conducted a head injury assessment at the time of the incident, where Cameron, “reported no symptoms and satisfied all AFL requirements”.

“After further review of the video footage, and in consultation with the spotters in the ARC, it was decided there was no criteria to remove Cameron immediately from the field for further assessment,” the Cats’ said in their statement.”

Nope. Just watched the final 9 minutes of the game and Cameron didn’t come off for assessment at all. In fact, he was barely getting involved at all as he usually would in those games he is, you know, not concussed. Embarrassing look for the AFL. 🙄
Was it suggested he did come off for one?

He was assessed on the field which has been covered in numerous places. As he didn't have symptoms he didn't have to come off. Clearly that should change though.

Yeah I think Thursday needs to be there all season. Surely rates pretty highly as well.

Just makes the work week feel shorter and means less overlap of games, it's great.

He was assessed on the field which has been covered in numerous places. As he didn't have symptoms he didn't have to come off. Clearly that should change though.

How difficult would it be to assess a player on the ground with players running around though? He should have been taken off to do a proper assessment. The AFL have a good system with the concussion protocols, but it definitely fails when the player isn’t properly assessment off the ground, away from players.

Got to love all the commotion about the rest of the draw and who's got it easy/hard.

Carlton's has come out easy...because we've had a hard start to the season. Vice versa with Essendon. Surely not that difficult a concept to grasp.
You've played Tigers and North ..we 've played Hawks.
You've played Giants, Cats, Pies, Dees
We've played Swans, Port, Pies, Giants

I'd say about even if anything..yet somehow the top 4 side from last year has easier draw for rest of the season.

Was it suggested he did come off for one?

I made the incorrect assumption that the part of the article I quoted sounded like Cameron was taken off the ground for assessment. I mean a doctor will usually do the assessment off the ground, better to have the player sitting down for it. It was a big fail in this instance.

Got to love all the commotion about the rest of the draw and who's got it easy/hard.

Carlton's has come out easy...because we've had a hard start to the season. Vice versa with Essendon. Surely not that difficult a concept to grasp.

Not sure our start to the season has been that easy. Played interstate 4 times in the first 8 rounds. Have played Collingwood, Sydney, GWS, Port Adelaide already.

We only travel twice for the rest of the year which isn’t factored into how hard the run home is.

I'd say about even if anything..yet somehow the top 4 side from last year has easier draw for rest of the season.

With our teams played, I’d be adding Brisbane to it. Round 0 and Brisbane coming off a GF. No one knew they’d be this average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How difficult would it be to assess a player on the ground with players running around though? He should have been taken off to do a proper assessment. The AFL have a good system with the concussion protocols, but it definitely fails when the player isn’t properly assessment off the ground, away from players.

I agree, just saying they followed the rules as they currently exist.

What happened to the rule they had years ago that if you have to come off for a concussion test you had to stay off for a minimum of 20 minutes? Is it still a thing? It would explain why they didn't want to take him off the ground.

We've also played Brisbane at the Gabba.

The 4 you highlighted were back to back games before we travel to Sydney this week as well. Pretty difficult run for any club really.

We also cop Geelong, GWS, Collingwood and Port twice. Collingwood and Sydney are the only contenders you get twice.

You can call it whatever you like, your draw is softer this year. Which was by design.

What happened to the rule they had years ago that if you have to come off for a concussion test you had to stay off for a minimum of 20 minutes? Is it still a thing? It would explain why they didn't want to take him off the ground.

Yeah not sure, Blakey was able to come back on for us. I suppose the argument is if you pass the test why shouldn't you be let back on? Blakey just bumped his nose so very clearly was fine.

Mind you I was saying to my wife last night, I remember as a 13/14 year old getting a bad concussion (like sound/light distortion sort of thing) in a game of 5 a side and then running back on 10-15 minutes later (inb4 'that explains a lot'). It's honestly wild how much the approach to concussion has changed over the years.

We've also played Brisbane at the Gabba.

The 4 you highlighted were back to back games before we travel to Sydney this week as well. Pretty difficult run for any club really.

We also cop Geelong, GWS, Collingwood and Port twice. Collingwood and Sydney are the only contenders you get twice.

You can call it whatever you like, your draw is softer this year. Which was by design.
Fair enough although we did cop 4 interstate trips first 8 games.

Either way i just can't see where our next loss is coming from!

Is that because you've already played us? ;)

Saw our return game against you is Marvel, which is a shame. Seems well suited to a big MCG game. But then we'd have something like 4 MCG games this year and people would probably complain we're too well prepared to play the GF! :p

I'm very much looking forward to the 9th of June...think the Gold Coast up there might give you some fun.

You actually got an advantage having played an Adelaide team in Gather Round. Every other club had to travel there anyway but you got to remove going back there again later in the season to play Port.

Yeah not sure, Blakey was able to come back on for us. I suppose the argument is if you pass the test why shouldn't you be let back on?

I'm pretty sure the reasoning was to make sure there were no delayed symptoms.

I obviously haven't analysed every teams fixture but I'd be surprised to see a more challenging run than:

GWS, Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney (A), Gold Coast, Port (A) and then Essendon (who are clearly doing better than expected).

In terms of a run of 8 games, it'd have to be up there. It's not at all surprising ours eases up.

Is that because you've already played us? ;)

Saw our return game against you is Marvel, which is a shame. Seems well suited to a big MCG game. But then we'd have something like 4 MCG games this year and people would probably complain we're too well prepared to play the GF! :p
Yeah would've been good at the G as it's a Friday night game.

Edit: although we could be sh*t again by then!

Last edited:
I'm very much looking forward to the 9th of June...think the Gold Coast up there might give you some fun.
Heard some commentators saying we should beat Suns ..but up there that is going to be a very tough game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back