The book thread

Do you guys buy books online? I'm about half and half. If I do buy over the internet, I use a well known Australian-based book supplier, and not an international one. That way I am supporting an Australian company, plus the books (if in stock, and most have been) arrive within a couple of days.

I have been burnt using the mega online international suppliers. I have found the quality of the book can be poor. Plus, buyer beware, and read the options carefully. I once bought a novel by a well known German writer (cant recall the writer or the title:(), and when it arrived it was in German! Well, duh. My fault, and it cost nearly as much to return as it cost to buy in the first place, so I didn't return it! Off it went to the Brotherhood and is probably still sitting in one of the Smith Street op shops waiting for a German reading buyer.

My non-fiction habits are ordered online. Part of this is about range, but hard cover books in Australia are awfully expensive.

My fiction feed comes straight off the shelf. They are mostly paperback, paperbacks are cheap, and I enjoy wistful and time-wasteful visits to bookshops in which I read a chapter of a book before I put it back on the shelf or buy it.

Long live the bookstore, though I fear they're not destined for long life...

Do you guys buy books online? I'm about half and half. If I do buy over the internet, I use a well known Australian-based book supplier, and not an international one. That way I am supporting an Australian company, plus the books (if in stock, and most have been) arrive within a couple of days.

I have been burnt using the mega online international suppliers. I have found the quality of the book can be poor. Plus, buyer beware, and read the options carefully. I once bought a novel by a well known German writer (cant recall the writer or the title:(), and when it arrived it was in German! Well, duh. My fault, and it cost nearly as much to return as it cost to buy in the first place, so I didn't return it! Off it went to the Brotherhood and is probably still sitting in one of the Smith Street op shops waiting for a German reading buyer.

I generally only buy online for rare outta print books (i.e. "You're Wrong Delaney" an old pulp crime fiction Aussie novel and an absolute ripper!). Generally found trawling the dusty shelves of Kill City

Don't forget to support your local library either everyone.
Not only does it keeps people in jobs but also offer a great service for those that don't have the internet and a great place for young mums to take their children for story time and introduce young kids to the wonderful world of books.

Currently reading "I am Malala" - the girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban

Auto bibliography of as said above the young school girl who was shot by the Taliban in Pakistan purely as she came out in support of girls allowing to be educated and not locked away in the home. Great read gives another point of view about how messed up the whole situation in that part of the world is, helps you remember that most Muslims are good people and that the Taliban are not a religious group but a hate filled group who kills you if you disagree with them.

Her father comes across as the true hero of the situation who has inspired Malala to be all she can be.

A must read especially for anyone who has in interest in what is happening in the world.

All about my Kindle these days so I guess I have to shop online... :p

As for what I read.. It's mostly just generic but well received fantasy with a bit of sci-fi, I get enough non-fiction in my day-to-day activities.

I am envious of you being a historian though... Would be an awesome career.

All about my Kindle these days so I guess I have to shop online... :p

As for what I read.. It's mostly just generic but well received fantasy with a bit of sci-fi, I get enough non-fiction in my day-to-day activities.

I am envious of you being a historian though... Would be an awesome career.

Thanks Bard

I haven't gone down the kindle path yet, as I still prefer a (paper) book. Although I'm probably just postponing the inevitable.

Thanks Bard

I haven't gone down the kindle path yet, as I still prefer a (paper) book. Although I'm probably just postponing the inevitable.

I'd definitely suggesting making the plunge, books are for sure nicer but Kindle's aren't that far behind these days and the convenience is amazing.

Just grab a program like Calibre and set up your own little digital library :)

Hi Snag
Yes I am a historian, by training, and I have read and loved The Secret River! But The Forsyte Saga is one of my favourite books. So many layers to it. Ridiculous the way authors can be in and out of fashion. Dangerous too, the way certain styles or genres of writing can be popular or promoted, over others. So much modern Australian writing disappoints, which makes the Flanagan and Grenville novels so rewarding.

Just finished this

9781743316115.jpg

Has been described as Kate Grenville meets Cormac McCarthy (aptly in my opinion)

Just finished this

9781743316115.jpg

Has been described as Kate Grenville meets Cormac McCarthy (aptly in my opinion)

Must get it. I love both those writers. Did you enjoy it?
I'm reading the latest in Val McDermid's Wire In the Blood series - Splinter the Silence. It's keeping me up at night. A great series if you enjoy dark crime.

Must get it. I love both those writers. Did you enjoy it?
I'm reading the latest in Val McDermid's Wire In the Blood series - Splinter the Silence. It's keeping me up at night. A great series if you enjoy dark crime.

I did enjoy it. It motivated me to check out more fiction from that place and era. I've since read, The Roving Party by Rohan Wilson which is much closer in style to McCarthy's Blood Meridian than Infamy (which on reflection, is more a literary version of The Proposition transplanted to Van Diemens Land).

It's about a party lead by John Batman at the height of "The Black Wars" in Van Diemens Land in 1829. He's gained a contreact from the Governer to kill blacks, therefore the motive is purely about financial gain as opposed to any ideological reasons. It's beautifully written given it's grim content and won several prizes (a debut novel)

9781742376530.jpg

Apparently it's a fictionalised account of real events (something that I was not previously aware of). I highly recommend this (and I'm waiting on the delivery of Wilson's second novel. Here's an interesting article from the Oz

Take Lenny Bartulin, whose recent novel Infamy managed to recast the early years of Van Diemen’s Land in terms as close to Deadwood, HBO’s masterpiece of long-form television, as to Marcus Clarke’s transportation-era melodrama For the Term of his Natural Life. Or take the dark fictional transports of Rohan Wilson, whose first novel The Roving Party,winner of The Australian-Vogel Literary Award in 2010, was described (in wholly admiring terms) by Tim Winton as “Blood Meridian with wombats’’.

To Name Those Lost also shows fealty to the gothic intensity of Cormac McCarthy. But unlike Wilson’s debut — which, though powerful in terms of its prose and utterly original in its use of historical materials, at times threatened to shade into McCarthyesque pastiche — this new work soon shakes its coat of earlier influence. Wilson writes here with an economy and energy that are his alone. This new novel may be a sequel of sorts to The Roving Party, that tale of racial annihilation and metaphysical disquietude based on the Tasmanian Black Wars of the early 19th century, yet this time the story has a less flamboyant manner, a keener edge.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/art...-name-those-lost/story-fn9n8gph-1227071326387
As an aside, I have a hardcore addiction to hardboiled crime fiction

I did enjoy it. It motivated me to check out more fiction from that place and era. I've since read, The Roving Party by Rohan Wilson which is much closer in style to McCarthy's Blood Meridian than Infamy (which on reflection, is more a literary version of The Proposition transplanted to Van Diemens Land).

It's about a party lead by John Batman at the height of "The Black Wars" in Van Diemens Land in 1829. He's gained a contreact from the Governer to kill blacks, therefore the motive is purely about financial gain as opposed to any ideological reasons. It's beautifully written given it's grim content and won several prizes (a debut novel)

9781742376530.jpg

Apparently it's a fictionalised account of real events (something that I was not previously aware of). I highly recommend this (and I'm waiting on the delivery of Wilson's second novel. Here's an interesting article from the Oz

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/art...-name-those-lost/story-fn9n8gph-1227071326387

Have you read Marcus Clarke's For the Term of His Natural Life? Its definitely worth reading, even if it is a bit colourful! One of the first true Australian novels. Clarke was a journalist and a well known Melbourne bohemian. Lived an unconventional life. Also as an aside, he lived in my house between 1869 and 1872, when he was writing the novel, which was published in installments at the time, a common practice in publishing 19th century novels.

The real estate agent told me this when we bought the house. I didn't believe him, but have since confirmed it via Sands & McDougall Directories and other research. I've also opened our front door several times over the years to find a group of people standing outside, looking at our place. Apparently on some kind of literary tour. Ours is a relatively humble Fitzroy cottage, but Clarke moved from here to a grander place in St Kilda which, until recently, was owned by the comedian Dave Hughes. A bit of trivia for you! Clarke also died young, in his thirties.

This is a good short bio on him here:

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/clarke-marcus-andrew-hislop-3225

9781742376530.jpg

Apparently it's a fictionalised account of real events (something that I was not previously aware of)

Much of the dark history of Australia is still to be written, including that of Tasmania. Or perhaps more accurately, the writing and the stories are out there, but the majority of Australians either don't want to know or refuse to believe these things could have happened. Have you heard of the 'Convincing Ground' at Portland, where the local indigenous people 'interacted' with the whalers of Portland Bay in the 1830s? Murky times, in frontier places, isolated from civilisation. Melbourne was either not established, or a few rudimentary tents.

Much of the dark history of Australia is still to be written, including that of Tasmania. Or perhaps more accurately, the writing and the stories are out there, but the majority of Australians either don't want to know or refuse to believe these things could have happened. Have you heard of the 'Convincing Ground' at Portland, where the local indigenous people 'interacted' with the whalers of Portland Bay in the 1830s? Murky times, in frontier places, isolated from civilisation. Melbourne was either not established, or a few rudimentary tents.

It's something of an obvious choice, but Kate Grenville's Secret River stands as one of the more beautifully written efforts to explore the underside of Australia's settlement. There is also a work of history which reads as well as fiction, which is Inga Clendinnen's Dancing with Strangers, looking at the first contact between Indigenous peoples and Europeans. Richard Flanagan's books also sail into the murky past in their own fantastical way, always interested in the way that the past is never quite past, although he doesn't tackle history head-on.

But you're right, VP, Australian fiction has been relatively disinclined to go into those darker places. It seems that the Australian public (or many politicians at least) have enough trouble with historians writing about those pasts.

It's something of an obvious choice, but Kate Grenville's Secret River stands as one of the more beautifully written efforts to explore the underside of Australia's settlement. There is also a work of history which reads as well as fiction, which is Inga Clendinnen's Dancing with Strangers, looking at the first contact between Indigenous peoples and Europeans. Richard Flanagan's books also sail into the murky past in their own fantastical way, always interested in the way that the past is never quite past, although he doesn't tackle history head-on.

But you're right, VP, Australian fiction has been relatively disinclined to go into those darker places. It seems that the Australian public (or many politicians at least) have enough trouble with historians writing about those pasts.

Thanks JB, agree with all that. In the 1990s there was an academic documenting - what we used to describe as 'culture contact' - some dark events in the Western District of Victoria. Clashes between pastoralists and the sealers and whalers on the coast, with local Aboriginal groups. I've forgotten her name, but it was through her work that I learnt of the Convincing Ground. There was another guy doing a similar thing in East Gippsland. Clearly Kate Grenville also researched these (euphemistically termed) 'clashes', on the Hawkesbury River.

9781742376530.jpg

Yes, I really liked this too. Very lean and mean. The way it focused so intently on the lived present of the characters was interesting. There was so little attempt to contextualise what was happening in terms of the characters' pasts or the wider society that the story has great immediacy and pace.

I guess there's a connection to Blood Meridian in terms of subject matter. But in treatment they're poles apart.

I'm reading Troubles by JG Farrell at the mo. Is kinda interesting, though not a patch on The Siege of Krishnapur (his most famous).

Have you read Marcus Clarke's For the Term of His Natural Life? Its definitely worth reading, even if it is a bit colourful! One of the first true Australian novels. Clarke was a journalist and a well known Melbourne bohemian. Lived an unconventional life. Also as an aside, he lived in my house between 1869 and 1872, when he was writing the novel, which was published in installments at the time, a common practice in publishing 19th century novels.

Funny that you should mention that. Has been on my "to read" list for about 20 years, however inspired by my recent reading, I picked up a copy from the local library last weekend.

Yes, I really liked this too. Very lean and mean. The way it focused so intently on the lived present of the characters was interesting. There was so little attempt to contextualise what was happening in terms of the characters' pasts or the wider society that the story has great immediacy and pace..

Couldn't agree more, was so glad that there was no backstory to the conflicted Black Bill.

I guess there's a connection to Blood Meridian in terms of subject matter. But in treatment they're poles apart.

It was the poetic use of language to describe the grisly and grotesque, the violence of dispossession, the obsessive intensity of Batman, and the damaged youth that made me draw the comparison.

Anyhoo, cannae wait for his second novel to arrive in the letterbox.

I'm reading Troubles by JG Farrell at the mo. Is kinda interesting, though not a patch on The Siege of Krishnapur (his most famous).

Not heard of it, so thanks for the tip. Interested in a fictional account of the Delhi uprising after reading the excellent The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple (who as an historical writer, O rate up there with Antony Beevor.

His book on the first Anglo-Afghan conflict, Return of a King ia an absolute gem

Not heard of it, so thanks for the tip. Interested in a fictional account of the Delhi uprising after reading the excellent The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple (who as an historical writer, O rate up there with Antony Beevor.

His book on the first Anglo-Afghan conflict, Return of a King ia an absolute gem

Siege of Krishnapur is a cracker. Won the Booker (and Troubles won the 'Lost Booker') way back. Farrell conflates two different real-life 'mutinies': Cawnpore and Lucknow. Well worth reading -- on both a literary and historical level.

9781742376530.jpg

Thanks for this. Great stuff.

The real estate agent told me this when we bought the house. I didn't believe him, but have since confirmed it via Sands & McDougall Directories and other research. I've also opened our front door several times over the years to find a group of people standing outside, looking at our place. Apparently on some kind of literary tour. Ours is a relatively humble Fitzroy cottage, but Clarke moved from here to a grander place in St Kilda which, until recently, was owned by the comedian Dave Hughes. A bit of trivia for you! Clarke also died young, in his thirties.

This is a good short bio on him here:

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/clarke-marcus-andrew-hislop-3225

I'm coming round! Loved that book.

Must say I think there are a few very fine Tassie novels, which will be explored in the Tasmania edition of this series:
http://www.realestate.com.au/blog/melbournes-literary-locations/

Yes, I really liked this too. Very lean and mean. The way it focused so intently on the lived present of the characters was interesting. There was so little attempt to contextualise what was happening in terms of the characters' pasts or the wider society that the story has great immediacy and pace.

The Siege of Krishnapur is excellent. I'm not yet ready to revisit The Troubles - still reliving them, :eek:

Funny that you should mention that. Has been on my "to read" list for about 20 years, however inspired by my recent reading, I picked up a copy from the local library last weekend.

Couldn't agree more, was so glad that there was no backstory to the conflicted Black Bill.

It was the poetic use of language to describe the grisly and grotesque, the violence of dispossession, the obsessive intensity of Batman, and the damaged youth that made me draw the comparison.

Anyhoo, cannae wait for his second novel to arrive in the letterbox.

That Afghan number is now on my list. :thumbsu:

There was a book thread in here years ago, but I like the look of your new cyber library book group. :thumbsu:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North is probably the most powerful book I've read all year. That Mrs Flanagan must have been some woman! I love both Martin and Richard. I think you're a historian, aren't you? Did you read The Secret River by Kate Grenville? I'd love to know what you thought of it.

I was running out of meaty books, so I reluctantly started The Forsyte Saga. Reluctantly because Galsworthy was very much out of favour when I was at uni and I've shunned him all these years. But I'm loving the book.

What are you reading Magpie Girl?

I just finished The Secret River this week.

Excellent read, so vivid in detail, so thoroughly researched. From the varying accents (18th century London urban street slang), to the detailed description of every location.

She also brilliantly captured the deep meaning of the land to the indigenous - the Aboriginals were part of the natural environment, they blended in it, they breathed it, they were as integral to the forests as the trees. My favourite part was when she compared our so-called civilised travails with the simplicity of indigenous life. The Thornhills would labour all day under the scorching sun, and struggle to put food on the table, despite the better technology and knowledge of agriculture. While the adjacent indigenous camp would spear kangaroos with such ease and skill. They never went hungry, did not labour for it, and spent the rest of their time enjoying their feasts around a camp fire surrounded by family and friends. If civilisation is measured by the level of happiness, I'd say - as Grenville depicted in this book - the indigenous have us beat.

Happy to have found this thread:
Last book read: And the Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini
Favourite book of all time: Catch 22
Favourite book read in the last 10 years: Life of Pi
Favourite non-fiction book of all time: Knots
Favourite non-fiction book of last 10 years: The Brain That Changes Itself.

Happy to have found this thread:
Last book read: And the Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini
Favourite book of all time: Catch 22
Favourite book read in the last 10 years: Life of Pi
Favourite non-fiction book of all time: Knots
Favourite non-fiction book of last 10 years: The Brain That Changes Itself.

Catch 22, it's years since I read it, but I loved it. A classic. 'Catch 22' also made its way into the lexicon, and stayed there!

Catch 22, it's years since I read it, but I loved it. A classic. 'Catch 22' also made its way into the lexicon, and stayed there!
Only book that I've ever finished, turned straight back to page 1 and started again. Just didn't want it to be over. Re-read it (again) last year and still the funniest book ever written for mine.

Back