Analysis The Buddy deal, one year on

Remove this Banner Ad

On field, need at least one flag for the investment to have been worth it IMO. Off field if membership continues to increase or stabilise then it certainly is worth it. Time will tell.

Buddy's recruitment upped interest from NSW as a whole, evidenced by the jump in membership numbers. As vonn said, even after the 2012 flag membership numbers didn't hit the heights they have in the last 12 months with Buddy on board. As far as onfield success, he won a number of games for us off his own boot last season and I dare say he'll do it again this year. He was one of our only decent players in the Grand Final, so you can't blame him for the loss.

That said, the flip side of the argument is that him coming to the club put noses out of joint and meant that when the heat was on, the solidarity we've come to expect from the Swans to rise to the challenge and fight back was missing. Whether that will dissolve and we'll get the same togetherness on the field this season as we've come to expect remains to be seen.

So I think the jury's still out as to the success on-field of his recruitment.

No Buddy, no GF appearance in 2014 as far as I'm concerned.

The analysis of the deal during years 1, 2 and 3 isn't important.

It's years 5, 6 and 7 where the real verdict comes in. His contract is heavily back-ended and he will be early 30's. By then we will know how much his big contract has affected our list management, how many flags we have/haven't won, and what his legacy at the Swans will be.

Buddy dragged us over the line in several minor round games, if he hadn't we wouldn't have even made top 4.

His positive effect on membership, Swans media coverage and as a consequence keeping the arch enemy GWS profile a little lower can't be underestimated. As for the sublime viewing moments in 2014, nuff sed!

Looking forward to him playing 100 games for us, settling in Sydney with the new wife and having a brood of male Buddy clones!

Very happy with the deal so far, if he holds form for another four seasons it's a big win, the last four seasons don't matter then.

His salary isn't going to be as big a deal once the new CBA starts, so that's good.

I think you're absolutely right. The next media and salary cap deal will show his salary being in line with the top earners, not as the outlier it looks at the moment. It was great foresight by club management and the off field interest generated by Buddy is undeniable and bankable. Obviously we rely on him retaining his fitness for quite a few more years but you rely on every players fitness in this game, so it's hardly a stretch

TBH it almost looks cheap when you compare it to the deal Boyd got. Boyd has no presence in the media and gets paid close to what Buddy gets.... crazy deal.

Looking forward to him playing 100 games for us, settling in Sydney with the new wife and having a brood of male Buddy clones!

I would enjoy the Hawks board meltdown in about 2035 or so when his future offspring nominate us under the F/S rule.*

*Assuming Eddie hasn't changed it by then so it applies to every club but Sydney

So I think the jury's still out as to the success on-field of his recruitment.
Where was the on-field toughness and solidarity in any of the games we were thumped in in 2013?

Where was the on-field toughness and solidarity in any of the games we were thumped in in 2013?
Which games would that be? I don't recall any displays in 2013 as weak hearted as that grand final.

Dear god, I hope you're not going to use the Fremantle game as an example of a spirited fightback.
I was there. It was dismal. The only reason we were within 10 goals is because they eased off in the last quarter and a half.

I was there. It was dismal. The only reason we were within 10 goals is because they eased off in the last quarter and a half.
Precisely. Once they killed us off, they took the foot off the pedal for the round trip to Melbourne the next week. We were never in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't remember creating this thread o_O

We made two threads, one for genuine discussion and one for making fun of the troll poster who started the poll about Buddy. Maybe we should have left it alone as I admit it is a little confusing having two threads on the one topic.

Precisely. Once they killed us off, they took the foot off the pedal for the round trip to Melbourne the next week. We were never in that game.

Dear God I hope you're not using a game where we were run off our feet and plagued by injuries as an example of the team lacking cohesion pre-Buddy.

Dear God I hope you're not using a game where we were run off our feet and plagued by injuries as an example of the team lacking cohesion pre-Buddy.
Yep, sure am. We were physically monstered and solidly beaten a few times that year. I know you want to justify your hysterics from when we picked him up, but putting the grand final down to the team not playing as a unit because of Buddy is stupid. As is childlike mimicry when arguing.

Yep, sure am. We were physically monstered and solidly beaten a few times that year. I know you want to justify your hysterics from when we picked him up, but putting the grand final down to the team not playing as a unit because of Buddy is stupid. As is childlike mimicry when arguing.

My 'hysterics'? Saying that the jury is out on him but that there seemed to be signs that the team lacks cohesion these days is hardly hysterics.

My 'hysterics'? Saying that the jury is out on him but that there seemed to be signs that the team lacks cohesion these days is hardly hysterics.
"your hysterics from when we picked him up"

Actually they should of been further infront they missed a lot of goals lol.

Anyways we werent a top 4 side in 2013 as evidenced not beating a single top 4 side all year think we only beat 1 top 8 side as well.
Looking on the bright side, our injury riddled 2013 meant that we finished behind Geelong and beat them to Zak Jones by one pick, as well as getting a ton of games into Rampe.

I'm not convinced we haven't already missed the best chance we're ever likely to get, to win a flag with Franklin in the team.

But moving on, one point I'd like to raise is that his amazing promotional power, coupled with the Wanderers' phenomenal rise out of nowhere to basically suck up all available western Sydney new-football-team oxygen, makes me wonder if it means we might eventually revert to a one-team AFL town.

Everyone knows the Swans are here to stay and Buddy's signing has just cemented our place in Sydneysiders' hearts all the more, but I imagine there's some very nervous glances at the Giants' prospects at AFL HQ. Not sure any of them saw the Wanderers coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back