Opinion The Club and the way they communicate with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the thing that they do disgracefully poorly is the VFL coverage. There is plenty of interest in that from the fans to track younger players coming through and also the form of the fringe players pushing for selection in the senior side. How hard would it be for the club to trundle down to the Journalism school at Deakin and ask for volunteers to cover the VFL, give them an iPad for live updates and some inner sanctum access on gameday. Piece of piss to put that together.
The VFL Twitter feed https://twitter.com/GeelongVFL on game day is generally a lot better than the AFL

And have a Geelong Biased Commentary team unlike the guys from K-Rock;)
In all seriousness this is why I don't listen to Krock commentary. I prefer it to be unbiased and that doesn't just apply to football commentary.

I wish the players were a lot more engaged with their supporters via social network.

Our sporting code, in general, is very stand offish in comparison to other sporting codes around the globe.
The Yanks are brilliant when it comes to engaging with the fans, Joe Blow can have a short discussion with a Kevin Durant or a LeBron James on twitter and it's all just part and parcel in the daily life of an American superstar.

Although a lot of this technology is relatively new (to Aussies), the older brigade just aren't close enough as opposed to the newer generation. It's great to see Chris Scott use this technology since his appointment as head coach of Geelong though :thumbsu:

Geelong probably has a relatively low supporter base as our base is Geelong and that population does not compare to the bigger city populations that follow the other clubs. So GFC needs to be far more proactive than other clubs. It is essential if we are to get to 50,000 soon and then 60,000 and then 70,000 in the next decade that they think laterally - and do whatever it is that will bring in more members. And I think this at least means the club engages with its existing members better than other clubs do.

Its not like Geelong (the town) will grow anything like Melbourne or Sydney will (not in percentage but in raw numbers).

Sure on field success will bring more numbers - and maybe from all over Australia - but for the next decade or so much of our supporter base will be in and around Geelong.

If only we could get Geelong fans to become somewhat Catholic and not use contraceptives - we may be ok yet !

Last edited:
I wish the players were a lot more engaged with their supporters via social network.

Our sporting code, in general, is very stand offish in comparison to other sporting codes around the globe.
The Yanks are brilliant when it comes to engaging with the fans, Joe Blow can have a short discussion with a Kevin Durant or a LeBron James on twitter and it's all just part and parcel in the daily life of an American superstar.

Although a lot of this technology is relatively new (to Aussies), the older brigade just aren't close enough as opposed to the newer generation. It's great to see Chris Scott use this technology since his appointment as head coach of Geelong though :thumbsu:
Mitch Clark is good with this I've noticed, often see him reply to fans on twitter and instagram, or he favorites/likes their tweets/comments... it's only a small thing but it's still nice to feel like they are contactable....

He also isn't afraid to give someone a smack back when they call him a gold digger or say he was full of s**t with his depression

Not saying I would want to see the AFL go quite to the level of invasiveness as seen over here, but yeah, I feel the AFL as a whole is a bit behind on the marketing/communications end of the spectrum. Not saying we need ice-bath selfies of Blitz, but social media interaction is one way sports go from local to global.

There are so many high-traffic websites that the AFL doesn't push hard. Open up the coffers and have some full-time social media workers that work sites and liaise with sites like Reddit, Buzzfeed, HuffPost, Yahoo Sports, Deadspin, Bleacher Report, SBNation, Yard Barker, etc. These are sites that reach 100s of millions worldwide, yet there is little to no AFL content or coverage on them.

In all seriousness this is why I don't listen to Krock commentary. I prefer it to be unbiased and that doesn't just apply to football commentary.
So who do you listen too then?
As just about all commentary teams are biased to some degree

So who do you listen too then?
As just about all commentary teams are biased to some degree
At the footy it depends on the quality of the reception. I will listen to Krock if necessary but I prefer abc or 3aw. There is bias to a degree but Krock is bit different, they appear to not even try to hide it.

There are so many high-traffic websites that the AFL doesn't push hard. Open up the coffers and have some full-time social media workers that work sites and liaise with sites like Reddit, Buzzfeed, HuffPost, Yahoo Sports, Deadspin, Bleacher Report, SBNation, Yard Barker, etc. These are sites that reach 100s of millions worldwide, yet there is little to no AFL content or coverage on them.

i agree, not much content at all, but there was this great article on sbnation the other day:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...-football-american-basketball-players-profile

havent read this one so cannot vouch for its read:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/26/6827413/afl-grand-final-sydney-swans-hawthorn

I don't think anyone is for a second suggesting we move away from KP, correct? That would be the deal breaker for my membership that's for sure.

If Carter has said we need 60k members. I'd say good luck with that.

The only way I see that being feasibly possible is to shift to a club that predominantly plays home games in Melbourne.

Which for me tears at the fabric of the clubs existence.

As for the communication aspect, your 'thesis' as you put it, even if I indulge you by assuming your correct, and I've stated my views on this earlier. Is that (assuming you're right) going to result in a spike in memberships which helps achieve that 60k?. I'm very skeptical on that. It would have minimal impact at best.

As for the graph you highlighted earlier with Richmond/Hawthorn/collingwood that's a bit unfair on the club to compare them with those as they have something we don't have the ability to do, put more bums on seats. We have a big constraint in that regard.

Essentially I don't see how we can increase our membership base to that 60k or even 50k in the near future whilst being based in Geelong. We lack the primary means to achieve that, capacity.

And for many being able to go to games is the reason they become members.
Wow! What an excellent, well thought out post, NSFB + beautifully expressed!

Does anyone remember the number of members in 2012? IIRC, it was >40k - <45k ???

What about marketing to garner supporters from other states? While it won't increase bums on seats, it will increase the numbers. Living in NSW, I always bought an interstate membership, for the last four years I've bought a Home game membership + began going to games.

I agree with you NSFB, the base in Geelong isn't large enough.

The other thing, which surprised me, when I bought my Interstate membership, a fantastic package would arrive, containing terrific Cats memorabilia, it was fabulous. When I first bought my Home Game membership, I was expecting a better pack! I was shocked to receive a pen + notebook, really disappointing. Sure, perhaps I shouldn't expect FABBY gifts with purchase. Although, I wonder what comes with other Clubs' memberships?

The Club needs a whiz-bang marketing department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know how the club goes about attracting new members, do they advertise, use call centers, emails, etc?

Essendon Footy Club just ran a members drive with each membership thy gave away a polo shirt, i know three friends who joined because of the polo which probably cost bugger all to get made in china.
Exactly abet! That's exactly the type of marketing I meant in my previous post.

One year, when I was late renewing my Interstate membership, I received a call from Joel Selwood, encouraging me to renew. I was so excited! I thought it actually was Selwood on the phone! *blushing*

There needs to be a mind shift that membership doesn't mean access to the game.

Look at Barcelona or Real Madrid who have 100,000 - 170,000 odd members not because they expect to get into to see their teams play week in week out but to feel like they are part of the club. We see a similar thing happening with Collingwood and Hawthorn they have large memberships and do you think each week all those members go to the game each week?

Now what is the easiest and most cost efficient way for the club to engage with its fan base? Social media and currently the club doesn't do the best job of doing that. Look at the difference between the job done by the VFL and AFL sides Twitter during a game. The VFL account lets you know exactly what is happening all through the course of a game whereas the AFL one only Tweets something when a highlight occurs or at the breaks in games.

Just to clarify... are you suggesting the club promote a members package that is digital only?

Years ago when membership fro all clubs was around 10,000..it was the entry and supporting ones club that drove participation up. It was promoted as just do not be a watcher or barracker be a supporter , a member and the money goes to the club rather than the gate.

Cause I have serious doubts about members joining to access digital. People resist doing for media , let alone to access the biased POV from a club.

So open training sessions which gives fans access to the club and players and not a thing about lax reporting of injuries or the social media communication....

Carter "Again, a free opportunity for people to come along and be a part of the team and engage with the players and coaching staff"

So again nothing about social media or injury news being relayed to the fans promptly. It's initiatives to allow fans to see the players in action so to speak, which is what fans want, what puts bums on seats. What gets them as members.

But if you or Cook or Carter believe what I've been saying will not work will in fact work, I say good luck.
Why did the Club reduce the number of open training sessions? It is always a fantastic occasion! Followed by the Cats shop, full of supporters buying merchandise. How about a marketing campaign at open training, with a sweetner, to join that day?
A membership campaign, using social media, with a code Facebook, or Twitter, which offers a discount ???

What is everyone expectations of the media department of the club?
Is it to produce the odd piece during the week like DAKP or is it to inform the members/supporters as to what is going on day to day at the club?
Still waiting to hear your expectations of the clubs media department?
Somewhere in the middle. I don't think we need to know or deserve to know everything but the other extreme is not enough.

I've conceded a few things ITT from reading the opinions of others, I won't concede the afl website and its reporters having the right to report on afl related news, if that involves Geelong, so be it. They're probably better at it than the media departments of any club in the comp.

What was suggested CA?

If I was asked , Id say to be very careful messing around with the actual enjoyment at the attendance at the game. The gambit Geelong has taken and will take is different from other clubs...their own ground and their stands...and their debt. Fine while all the current still come but every change has the chance of tipping people over the edge , the wrong way. My enjoyment of the game experience has diminished at Geelong in recent years eg...in the new stand in comparison to my old seats , the constant , unrelenting bombardment of advertisement on the scoreboard , it feels very audio invasive.

Too much change and there will be people who say I'll will watch it at home..... and I will not be paying over 2G's to the club as a donation if I decided to do that. My money would mainly stop. Now plenty of others will say the opposite. We need to up the ante , make it a circus , an event ... for me its the football that I enjoy. Nearly everything else is a negative.

Just to clarify... are you suggesting the club promote a members package that is digital only?

Years ago when membership fro all clubs was around 10,000..it was the entry and supporting ones club that drove participation up. It was promoted as just do not be a watcher or barracker be a supporter , a member and the money goes to the club rather than the gate.

Cause I have serious doubts about members joining to access digital. People resist doing for media , let alone to access the biased POV from a club.
What does or would a digital membership entail?

What does or would a digital membership entail?

Well thats debatable. I'd imagine in a pure capitalistic sense , if it costs money to make, its should cost money to access. Therefore , just like the HSun and the Age were free while building interest , and a point in time they introduced paid access.
For Geelong , would the base membership involve ..being able to access GFC.com , or certain vids or articles?

If I was asked , Id say to be very careful messing around with the actual enjoyment at the attendance at the game. The gambit Geelong has taken and will take is different from other clubs...their own ground and their stands...and their debt. Fine while all the current still come but every change has the chance of tipping people over the edge , the wrong way. My enjoyment of the game experience has diminished at Geelong in recent years eg...in the new stand in comparison to my old seats , the constant , unrelenting bombardment of advertisement on the scoreboard , it feels very audio invasive.

Too much change and there will be people who say I'll will watch it at home..... and I will not be paying over 2G's to the club as a donation if I decided to do that. My money would mainly stop. Now plenty of others will say the opposite. We need to up the ante , make it a circus , an event ... for me its the football that I enjoy. Nearly everything else is a negative.
I'd like to see a limit of maybe 2-3 night games max. I like day games at KP. Feels familiar. Like the good old days.

I'm with you on the up the ante/event sentiment, I go to watch the football. Feel the same way about t20.

Well thats debatable. I'd imagine in a pure capitalistic sense , if it costs money to make, its should cost money to access. Therefore , just like the HSun and the Age were free while building interest , and a point in time they introduced paid access.
For Geelong , would the base membership involve ..being able to access GFC.com , or certain vids or articles?
It's a good point of discussion. Would (and correct me if I'm interpreting this wrong) restricting GFC website access to members given that from opinions in this thread, some are disappointed with the communication, be wise? Wouldn't that make it harder to engage non members.

Given (judging by the website layout being similar to the afl, BigPond) that it appears as though the afl control it in some way, would they allow that?

Actually collingwood already have one:

Membership.collingwoodfc.com.au/packages/view/229/Digital-Insider-Membership

So afl live pass subscription. Would be good for international members like Daz, wouldn't that mean the live pass profits go to the club, not the afl? Minus a certain amount.

In its current format, the GFC digital membership offers nothing that the AFL International offers me. It is EXACTLY the same thing rebadged. And as I currently have remaining time rolling over form last year I have not taken the GFC DM.

I have however renewed my current membership level and added the kids to it.

If there was something to be gained by going thru the club - better access and VFL coverage - Id be there faster than a fat kid on a cupcake.

And id be happy to pay more for it.

The concern is that if the club takes over my live feed subscription then THEY are the responsible party for my technical difficulties. And at 2 am I want them fixed and fixed now. Curently they are pretty good at having real time ( within 15 mins) tech responses ( it is a 3rd party vendor not the AFL).

I can't see the club being able to support it honestly.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back