The contribution of each state to Australia's test team

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it provides some insight into the health of the game in various states and explains the whole 'NSW bias' bull.

Victoria and South Australia in particular are not performing

Victoria aren't performing because their system underneath is flawed. South Australia has a similar problems. An interesting project would be looking at the Australian Under 19's that fail to go on. Plenty of Victorians in that group who fail to make it. My hypothesis is that the Victorian talent identification system is flawed and skewed towards players who are bigger, because all junior tournaments are short form cricket. We miss the players that we should be putting time into. The end result being we are developing the wrong players and ultimately it is no surprise that players don't make it. By cutting out or sidelining the Grade system, the gap between those that can and cannot gets bigger. It is taking longer for batsman to make it than ever before.

Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting farted in Perth therefore they are West Australian

\ My hypothesis is that the Victorian talent identification system is flawed

It definitely is. The state championships (u/14, Dowling Shield etc) are a farce. I have seen many talented players miss out, and the rep teams have only 2 or 3 sessions before the tournament with some young premier player that doesn't really want to be there. Compare this to the TAC cup for example... it's no contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back