News The Do Better Report - 12 Month Review

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a moronic gesture that Jeff shouldn't be making to anyone who isn't a contemporary in terms of power and wealth. But not sure how it fits into a racism discussion.
I have actually swung towards the view that the comment was insensitive and potentially offensive. I had assumed that Jeff had a fair degree of familiarity with the Rioli's as I didn't believe he would make such a remark to someone he hardly knew. Unfortunately I missed the line in the article where Rioli's wife states that the comment came from 'a man she barely knew'. But I still don't see the comment as racist - just very inappropriate in the circumstances.

In Cambodia, I once had a guy crash his bike next to me while I was crossing a road next to me. The major reason for his fall was that he was reading Facebook on his phone and holding the handlebars with only one hand. He tried to extract $300 from me for bike repairs and torn jeans. He must have seen me as a walking ATM without any knowledge of fashion trends. The only tears in his jeans were those made by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I have actually swung towards the view that the comment was insensitive and potentially offensive. I had assumed that Jeff had a fair degree of familiarity with the Rioli's as I didn't believe he would make such a remark to someone he barely knew. Unfortunately I missed the line in the article where Rioli's wife states that the comment came from 'a man she barely knew'. But I still don't see the comment as racist - just very inappropriate in the circumstances.
You just can't make he joke of throwing loose change at someone who isn't a contemporary, when you've had Kennet's life of power, privilege and wealth. Really classless - pretty bogan really, but agree nothing to assume racism.

I got emotional seeing Nicky Winmar and Eddie Betts talking before our game on Sunday, the single banner, the players shaking Nicky's hand.
The Traditional Healing Ceremony at Vic Park yesterday, how well Darcy spoke.

I'm really proud of the club for apologising, it's great to see true progress through action
Not just platitudes or words in a report.

Leon Davis is one of my all time favourite players. It was heartbreaking reading the story about the racism he experienced at the club. I'm so glad he's involved at the club now.

At some point in the future I'd like to see Adam Goodes involved with the AFL. I loved watching him play and thought it was really sad how his time in the game ended. I've met him in person, he signed my brothers Swans guernsey and had a chat.

Last edited:

I got emotional seeing Nicky Winmar and Eddie Betts talking before our game on Sunday, the single banner, the players shaking Nicky's hand.
The event at Vic Park yesterday, how well Darcy spoke.

I'm really proud of the club for apologising, it's great to see true progress through action

Leon Davis is one of my all time favourite players. It was heartbreaking reading the story about the racism he experienced at the club. I'm so glad he's involved at the club now.

At some point in the future I'd like to see Adam Goodes involved with the AFL. I loved watching him play and thought it was really sad how his time in the game ended. I've met him in person, he signed my brothers Swans guernsey and had a chat.

Although I'm sure that the players at the time were involved in the comments to Winmar, as were players from all the clubs, it should be remembered that Winmar went to the members side of the ground and faced the crowd to make his point.... Probably many of the crowd are dead by now but many would still be alive and maybe they should take a leaf out of the club's book and write a letter of apology to winmar via st.kilda club.

Although I'm sure that the players at the time were involved in the comments to Winmar, as were players from all the clubs, it should be remembered that Winmar went to the members side of the ground and faced the crowd to make his point.... Probably many of the crowd are dead by now but many would still be alive and maybe they should take a leaf out of the club's book and write a letter of apology to winmar via st.kilda club.
Back in the early days of Victoria Park, I heard some disgusting racist remarks hurled by our supporters at opposition players. I recall a game against West Coast where I turned around in my seat and asked a middle age guy to stop, only to be told by his wife that I was spoiling his afternoon, that his only release in life was letting himself go a the footy, as though he had a God given right to act in this way. She later hit me on the head with her umbrella. Those were the days! :mad:

Last edited:
You just can't make he joke of throwing loose change at someone who isn't a contemporary, when you've had Kennet's life of power, privilege and wealth. Really classless - pretty bogan really, but agree nothing to assume racism.
Speaking of Jeff, interesting to see that the Hawks had their $15m of funding from the State Government confirmed a week or so ago. This was the one that was seemingly held back until Kennett was gone. Interesting that Kennett, at the time of his ousting, was very vocal about looking forward to seeing the $15m.

Also, pretty shabby of the Vic Government to seeming hold this dough back because the Premier has an issue with the former Prez.

Speaking of Jeff, interesting to see that the Hawks had their $15m of funding from the State Government confirmed a week or so ago. This was the one that was seemingly held back until Kennett was gone. Interesting that Kennett, at the time of his ousting, was very vocal about looking forward to seeing the $15m.

Also, pretty shabby of the Vic Government to seeming hold this dough back because the Premier has an issue with the former Prez.
You have evidence of this or just speculation?

What's the funding for?

The Traditional Healing Ceremony at Vic Park yesterday, how well Darcy spoke.

Well said.

Adam Goodes discussion moved here

PS: Interesting reading back through the topic from 8 years ago.
Read my first post in that thread and I’m pretty proud of it.
Booing Goodes was racist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read my first post in that thread and I’m pretty proud of it.
Booing Goodes was racist.
Read mine too and still stand by it, (although I have no idea what I meant by Membrey).
Agree to disagree mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back