The Footy Show / Sexual Objectification

Remove this Banner Ad

He has form on this stuff and I took offence to him using tragic death of Robin Williams to discredit the equally serious issues we were discussing in this thread. .

I didn't discredit anything. I said Robin Williams got reamed by divorce courts (twice).

Which part of that did your quarter of a brain not understand?

Compelling reading. Very compelling.
I hope you're being sarcastic. "There is no “rape culture” as deranged feminist campaigners starved for male attention would want you to believe."

That entire site is blatantly sexist. Look at the links up the top! It's a men's rights site, not a credible source of discussion on these issues, though an extremely good example of how many men approach them, and women in general.

Last edited:
I'm not blaming anyone, just nitpicking at this point the way this threads gone isn't going to help any arguments.

By all means go at it.
Look, Sam did something on the footy show that multiple female posters on here found offensive, and duly posted about. The conversation evolved into the societal ramifications of such behaviour, whether it represented sexual objectification, and whether this type of objectification has wider impacts on gender equality and social cohesion (rape, family violence, assult etc). I'd say that's a fairly organic conversational evolution.

I was asking Pete why he introduced Robin Williams into the conversation because he clearly did it to discredit the suggestions about gender inequality, as he has done in other threads. Why else would he make that point in this context?

I hope you're being sarcastic. "There is no “rape culture” as deranged feminist campaigners starved for male attention would want you to believe."

That entire site is blatantly sexist. Look at the links up the top! It's a men's rights site, not a credible source of discussion on these issues, though an extremely good example of how many men approach these issues.
I wasnt referencing the site, just the article to explain Slippery Pete's post re Robin Williams, that I believe you may have taken out of context.

That entire site is blatantly sexist. Look at the links up the top! It's a men's rights site, not a credible source of discussion on these issues, though an extremely good example of how many men approach them, and women in general.
There's a significant amount of rubbish there - and I'm not fond of the language, but having been through a divorce I can appreciate and empathise with people who feel they need to commit suicide as they feel there is no other way out of the situation divorce may leave them in as man.
You can't?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

btw - do regret my eralier cheeky bump now. This is starting to get a tad more abusive than im comfortable with. Moving to backyard and asking everyone to take anything really personal offline please.

There's a significant amount of rubbish there - and I'm not fond of the language, but having been through a divorce I can appreciate and empathise with people who feel they need to commit suicide as they feel there is no other way out of the situation divorce may leave them in as man.
You can't?
Of course I can. Divorce can be a rough experience and it affects both parties. Men can, of course, come out in a worse position. Again, highlighting the inequality issues in our society is not meant to detract from the issues facing men.
But it certainly doesn't look like the authors of that site, also known for such hits as 'the sixteen commandments of poon' and 'identifying sluts: the science' have anything worthwhile to add to the conversation.

I think it's a shame you're moving it. It's an important conversation to have. I apologise for the tone of my response to Pete (though I am apologising to the board, not to him), but I do think it's important that members of our subculture are exposed to these issues. The conversation was pretty good, I thought, and I apologise for not responding to your last post addressed to me - I was offline for a few days and forgot about it.

The conversations can continue here. It's not really footy related anymore.
Highly recommend you and Pete start to understand each others base rather than firing abuse and derision.
The point is that he can't be engaged with when he comes with an intent to shift the focus of the discussion. It's incredibly frustrating that you pretty much can't discuss this topic without some dude coming in to highlight that bad stuff can happen to men too. No s**t.
This comic sums it up pretty well, except Pete isn't even in the 'not all men' brigade, but a step even further back in the 'inequality doesn't exist' camp.
7w7Ttyk.jpg

So you think there is no way to engage him but that abusing him will make him willing to exchange your points of view more?

That makes less sense than the test on that site which classified me as a classic beta.

So you think there is no way to engage him but that abusing him will make him willing to exchange your points of view more?

That makes less sense than the test on that site which classified me as a classic beta.
No no, it's pretty clear there's nothing I can post that will change that guy's views. That post was just my own immaturity getting the better of me.

Yeah, and I'm saying it's faux annoyance.
I got what you meant mate - just playing along with my own joke.

Anyway - possible it was faux annoyance. Possible just annoyed I was talking to her :p I was there and I read people reasonably well - I don't think she was dramatically upset about it.. but yeah I reckon an eye roll level of annoyance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back