Unofficial Preview The gentle free settler folks Vs the recessive convict genes

Remove this Banner Ad

John Donehue is legit, his Nova Uniao camp is arguably one of the best MMA fight gyms in the world, multiple champions, especially in the lower weight classes.

John Donehue is legit, his Nova Uniao camp is arguably one of the best MMA fight gyms in the world, multiple champions, especially in the lower weight classes.
thats just another reason why we need him working just for Port not sharing him with North and having him for a few long sessions during the year and not just a day here and there for a tune up.

Yesterday I accidentally bumped into GWS head of fitness who told me Port's lack of baulk was well known in AFL circles.
"We had Hombschy up to 90kgs and what is he now 84?". I was more than a little shocked coz when combined with our shortish
list of KPF and KPDefenders I came to understand my our opponents shrugged off our tackles.
This is a trend not quickly reversed and very worrying.
On a side note it seems to me of late that we are playing and switched on to within the boundary line and not to the boundary line.
Sure TJ has been guilty of this lately but he's not the only one.
I'm surprised you're surprised. Opposition teams have targeted this weakness all season (or half season). We're too slight, never should have happened and it better not continue into next season

What about this guy if we can't secure Donehue back?

http://www.kitdalebjj.com

Another wrestler and BJJ guy, but also plays amateurs, so knows a thing or two about football.

11156409_1652312771669395_4106024263976892084_n.jpg

Photo caption from his facebook:
When you're so hard to take down even your own players are trying to tackle you

Yesterday I accidentally bumped into GWS head of fitness who told me Port's lack of baulk was well known in AFL circles.
"We had Hombschy up to 90kgs and what is he now 84?". I was more than a little shocked coz when combined with our shortish
list of KPF and KPDefenders I came to understand my our opponents shrugged off our tackles.
On a side note it seems to me of late that we are playing and switched on to within the boundary line and not to the boundary line.
faaaaark

If this is so, that all other clubs are aware we have lost bulk, then I guess they just tell their boys to come in and rough us up as we are puny weaklings? It would give opposition clubs a psychological advantage, especially combined with the message our club is putting out to the media and our boys: Ken "we are spooked, lacking confidence" OTHER COACHES " Port are lacking confidence and puny weaklings. Go get them boys!" But on the other hand, does lack of bulk mean lack of strength? I am hoping Burgo is, in fact, the sports fitness genius he is purported to be or else we are stuffed. I am hoping the second half of the season proves our coaches right in their decision making .

Another wrestler and BJJ guy, but also plays amateurs, so knows a thing or two about football.

My mate has trained with him , he is a gun.(probably for hire)!

Technique and all is fine but you can teach that in reasonable time. What's missing with our team is above the shoulders. They have to want to bring hard brutal contested football every week. That's what we don't do. The extra bulk would help sure but we keep hearing about the focus on functional muscle and core strength. Then use it. Go hard or go home every training session, every game. That's what Port Adelaide brought every week. That's what 10yo kids from Rosewater and Ethelton to Kimba and Port Lincoln were taught by Port Adelaide people.

We get them much older now but it's what we have a Port Magpies league and Academy sides for. To instil that mindset along with gameplans and whatever trendy guff is in vogue. But some things are immutable laws of football. It's time to rediscover our own Dead Sea Scrolls of football domination.

And we need to find some Leb boy thugs like the Ibrahim brothers. Sam - right runs the thug stuff and gets caught, and "Teflon" John is involved but somehow never gets caught. Take not Hammer if you are going to throw some punches - channel John not Sam.

068903-ibrahim.jpg

Then there is ex rugby league player John Elias played over 100 games in the old NSWRL comp for South Sydney and Balmain and others, brother of rugby league great Backdoor Benny Elias. Done for drugs, guns, illegal bookmaking violence and other stuff. Drinks with Eddie Dingle at some pub in Balmain, pretty sure its the Sackville.

971195-john-elias.jpg
9781405040211.jpg

Ah the 1970s maybe a couple of reports. Bob Clayton crashing blokes into the middle of next week, Peter Marker getting hit in the head, John Wynne and Phil Carman clocking guys looking or not. Memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a few of those from the old Sunday footy show. Especially when Carman pushed Cornes's face in the Norwood Oval mud. :D

If this is so, that all other clubs are aware we have lost bulk, then I guess they just tell their boys to come in and rough us up as we are puny weaklings? It would give opposition clubs a psychological advantage, especially combined with the message our club is putting out to the media and our boys: Ken "we are spooked, lacking confidence" OTHER COACHES " Port are lacking confidence and puny weaklings. Go get them boys!" But on the other hand, does lack of bulk mean lack of strength? I am hoping Burgo is, in fact, the sports fitness genius he is purported to be or else we are stuffed. I am hoping the second half of the season proves our coaches right in their decision making .
Yeh I'm not necessarily in the camp that strength and bulk always wins
It's the fight in the dog as they say
Some matches last year we went in ferociously and won the ball
It seems to me the mental tenacity/ being brave etc side of things can overpower plain brawn
Oh and once we have the ball how much then is strength got to do with the game plan?

I understand where you are coming from here, but anyone from GWS surely cannot boast anything about their management of Hombsch. He is playing All Australian standard football this year, so I don't really care if they had a couple of extra kg to him or not. And since he's only lost 3 one on one contests for the year* his size isn't adversely affecting his football one bit.

Our perceived change in physicality this year in my opinion is mainly confidence based (doubt leading to a lack of a aggression) and partly due to selection (we've been loading the team up on some of our smallest flankers).

*was a couple of weeks ago I saw the breakdown and that was the number then.

Something to fire the boys up before the game.

"This is bad in a practice match and shouldn't be there" i.e. nothing wrong with it but not in a practice match :D

Was another world back then, wonder what percentage of the current crop of AFL players would have stuck to the game if they played 40 years ago.

Note not saying it was better but different and that we should keep that in mind when comparing the players of different generations.

Ah the 1970s maybe a couple of reports. Bob Clayton crashing blokes into the middle of next week, Peter Marker getting hit in the head, John Wynne and Phil Carman clocking guys looking or not. Memories.

Interesting to know if the callouses on Wynne's elbows have healed:D

edit: for those unfamiliar with the 70s, John Wynne played for Norwood and was noted for his flailing elbows strategically placed on opponents heads.

Last edited:

Geez it's a worry when 4 or 5 blokes from an amateur league game look significantly better muscled than most of the Power listed players who were on the park for the Maggies last sunday.

RussellEbertHandball I was talking to my mate tonight who was expressing dissatisfaction that his gym has aligned with a Brazilian mob rather than the Aussie mob run by Donehue. Everything he said about the difference in their philosophies could be applied to our football currently.

Brazilian is all about flash, avoiding grinding situations, being nice and humble and paying constant respect, and emphasis on techniques that might look good but only work 1 in a 100 times.

Aussie Donehue camp was more about tough, effective style. Taking the fight to them and not being afraid or above using dirty, but legal tactics. Just moving forward on your own terms and grinding it out with solid sustainable technique.

It made me think how these philosophies can roll over in to other areas outside of these "consultancy" sessions, and how that has been lost this year at the football club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back